The more I use MU — the more I am amazed by missing

The more I use MU — the more I am amazed by missing features that in my opinion are almost critical — and maybe I am wrong or using things wrong —

Plugins are completely dis-functional —

Your choices are to automatically activate on all sites and give them access to the setup parameters — or

do not network activate and make them activate the plugin if they want to use it —

Either way — they have access to every plugin that the super admin has access to —

so plugins like — DB-Cleanup, DB- Optimize, Search and Replace — can be very dangerous in the wrong hands — For instance Search and replace — they could change data in every table on the network — system monitoring tools etc —

There is no way to hide them — This makes no sense to me — and does not seem right — considering how powerful this setup could be and is — yet it has a lack of features as important as this —

I hate to keep asking this question — but it just does not seem reasonable or logical for it to work this way —

I have paid plugins — that I can’t use cause everyone would have access to them ???

From what I can tell the Multi-site plugin manager does not work — and it will not work with pro-sites —

I am trying to play with pro-sites and use that for showing plugins only for certain levels — but I can’t believe this is how you have to do it —

Does anyone know of a better way???? Has anyone structured pro-sites to handle this and what was the best way you figured out to do this —

• aristath
    • Recruit

Your choices are to automatically activate on all sites and give them access to the setup parameters

When a plugin is installed on a single site, it’s automatically activated. On a multisite it is not.

What do your users have access to that you don’t want them to?

Either way — they have access to every plugin that the super admin has access to

Site admins have access to the settings of the plugins that are activated on their site. This is not unreasonable, it is the way WordPress is structured and works.

An “admin” has to be able to administer the site they own. Hense the name “admin”.

The Superadmin on the other hand is you an can manage settings for the whole network.

If you wish to restrict what they can can and can’t do, you will have to write some custom code to make that work. I’d be more than happy to help you with that…

so plugins like — DB-Cleanup, DB- Optimize, Search and Replace — can be very dangerous in the wrong hands — For instance Search and replace — they could change data in every table on the network — system monitoring tools etc —

True, powerful tools can be fatal in the wrong hands. However that is true for all WordPress installations and not related to our plugins, our development options etc.

Perhaps if you provided some specific details on what you want to achieve I’ll be able to be of assistance…

Cheers,

Ari.

• mindset
    • The Crimson Coder

Ari,

I named three of them —- I need those as super admin — but I don’t want every person who has a site to have access to them —

Can you imagine the nightmare — having a free blog newbie — doing a search and replace on /wp-content/uploads/ to wp-conten/uploads

and it changes every url in every table on the system —

Plus I use a lot of plugins that you have to have a license for — for different personal sites — and then all of those are littering there plugin dashboard —

It just makes no sense to me that MU is meant to build a network of sites — yet you have no control what plugins show where — and what amazes me more — is no one here finds this to be an issue —

• aristath
    • Recruit

@mindset

I still don’t understand what the issue is…

You don’t have to network-enable all the plugins.

You can enable plugins on a per-site basis in a network. This way you can enable for example the plugins that only YOU want to have access to, on your main site.

Then, if you want to enable a plugin on a specific site, then simply enable the plugin on that particular site! This way noone else will have access to it besides the person that really needs it.

I hope that helps…

Cheers,

Ari.

• mindset
    • The Crimson Coder

ari,

when you go into a site — all of the plugins are listed — if they are network activated — then they do not show up under plugins — but all the settings are available for those plugins —

if they are not network activated — then they show up in the plugins and all they have to do is activate them —

so in essence they have access to every plugin installed in network admin —-

so either I am not understanding something — or…. I don’t know —

• aristath
    • Recruit

From your Dashboard go to Network Admin => Settings => Network Settings.

At the bottom of that page, there is a setting that says “Enable administration menus – Plugins”.

Make sure that this option is unchecked.

You of course as a superadmin will always be able to see the plugins menu, but normal site admins can’t.

Are you sure you’re testing this as a site admin and not with your superadmin account??

Cheers,

Ari.

• mindset
    • The Crimson Coder

Ari,

That may be it — I am always logged on as superadmin — because all of the sites presently are owned by me —-

so superadmins and a regular site admin see two different views??? interesting — I did not know that — I have read so much on multi-site and I have not grasped that from anything I have read —

let me create a user — create a site as someone else and check that out —

• Site Division
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

LOL!

There are several ways to control this depending on how you want them availble or activated by the user or auto activated.

I just found this plugin and its a keeper.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

or this http://wordpress.org/plugins/menus/ specifically for menus and its companion

http://wordpress.org/plugins/toggle-meta-boxes-sitewide/ gives you full control over access to anything.

• mindset
    • The Crimson Coder

Ari,

I am pissed off at you guys and feel stupid at the same time :slight_smile:

I have literally spent the last three weeks trying to figure out how to make this plugins thing work —-

I tried multisite plugin manager and concluded that thing did not even work — cause no matter what I had it set to —- the plugins were always there on the sites —

I tried pro-sites — I have tried exclude plugins — I have tried a few other pluigns out there – I have tried deactivating netowork, and enabling network – and everytime I went to a sub-site — the plugins were still there —- I was getting ready to look for a different solution and dump MU totally —

So I feel stupid cause I am just now realizing this — and did not realize there was a difference in what super admin and a site admin could see on a sub-site — I knew that a site admin would not be able to see the main sites super admin view —- but not the other way —- and I have been in this business long enough I should have grasped that difference — kind of like — trying to figuring out why the printer is not working for hours — only to realize it is not plugged in —

I am pissed off at you guys :slight_smile: because of all these precisely stated problems that I was trying to resolve — no one thought that maybe I was looking at the sub-sites as super admin

I can’t be the first person who has done that —

I still find the network admin — main site and sub-sites confusing at times and I am really experienced

and because of my confusion, I know there are many more out there like me — that is confused by the setup —

So for all of you who have tried to help me with this issue — I will let each of you — give me a back hand cuff across the top of my head — but I am giving each of you one also — :slight_smile:

OK — now that we got MU 101 out of the way — please let me tell you my understanding now — that I have re-read everything – -with the knowledge that the super-admin and site admin views in sub-sites are different —-

If you network activate a plugin —- it does not show up in plugins in the sub-site but there will be a configuration item in the dashboard left menu — unless it is a main site configurable plugin – and in that case — it just applies to the sub-site and they can not modify the settings —

If you do not network activate a plugin — it does not show up in the sub-site plugins either —

Now I have the opposite problem… LOL

So how do you give certain sites a broader range of plugins?

Allowing them to activate if they want them…

Then I have specific plugins specified in pro-sites for that level — shouldn’t those plugins show up under plugins in the sub-site

That is why I was told to setup blog templates and then they would have access to those settings — and I am thinking – -what the hell does this guy know — how is that going to resolve my issue of all the plugins showing up – now i understand —

• aristath
    • Recruit

Plugins on WordPress come in many variations…

There are plugins that are only single-site compatible, there are plugins that are only multisite compatible and there are plugins that work both on single sites and on multisite.

Most plugins work on both “variations” of WordPress.

When a plugin is network-activated, it is active for ALL sites on your network and can’t be de-activated on a per-site basis. That’s why network-activated plugins don’t show up in the plugins menu of individual sites.

However, some plugins have a “twist”… They have 2 modes of operation.

They behave differently when installed on single sites and differently when installed on multisites. These plugins when they detect that they are in a multisite installation, ONLY appear on the network admin and can only be activated network-wide. It all depends on the plugin we’re talking about. :slight_smile:

Some of the limitations of WordPress multisite can be bypassed by using our Pro-Sites plugin. Using that you can create “groups” of sites that will have access to additional plugins. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Ari.

• Site Division
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

@mindset

Here is a screenshot if using pro-sites.

As you can see in this example:

I have one set to none cant be used by subsites

I have one set to anyone all levels can access

I have the remainder set to different membership levels

If you network activate then the plugin will not show in prosites setting and will just auto activate in each subsite without the option to disable it.

If you autoactivate then the plugin will activate upon site creation but the subsite admin will have the option to disable it.

Hope this helps.

• Brashell
    • The Bug Hunter

Wanna throw my hate in the ring here, I personally use advanced access manager premium, he just did an update so there were a few bugs but he has fixed pretty much all of em. It keeps ppl out of where they shouldn’t be really well. Even can control the front end. Just my 2 cents.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.