The plugin widgets do not appear correctly.

Hi - I have just recently got this plugin from you. I am in the process of trying to set this up and have a problem with the way it is displaying the widgets. I have installed the following Widgets on my sidebar :

- Q&A - Question Categories
- Q&A - Users with highest reputation

The problem is that everything from these widgets seems to end up in the sidebar. Can you help with this please?

My URL where you can see this is as follows:

http://risklearn.com/questions/

kartik_natarajan

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your reply and your welcome.
    The problem is exactly that - the sidebar is getting pushed down below the actual question when it should alongside. So below the question itself you see the widget header ("Question category" and then below that you see the Category name actually in my footer area! The next widgets heading cant even be seen.
    I attach a screenshot so its a bit clearer what I mean. I suspect this has something to do with how this plugin plays with my theme.

Any help would be appreciated!

Kartik

aecnu

Greetings Kartik,

Thank you for the screen shot which certainly clarifies what is going on there.

You are so correct at how the plugin deals with the theme but it is not unmanageable.

You can further customize the appearance of the Q&A section, to better integrate it with your theme. To do so, simply copy the php files from default-templates into your theme folder and start customizing.

The default theme files are located in the \qa\default-templates folder and there are more styling css files in the \qa\theme-mods\css folder.

If you want to disable the default plugin CSS, add the following line to your theme’s functions.php file:

add_theme_support( ‘qa_style’ );

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

kartik_natarajan

Hi Joe,

I tried as you advised and I have not managed to make any progress unfortunately. The questions page now in fact looks worse as I have lost the formatting that I had before (as per my screenshot).
    I have to come to the conclusion that this plugin is not really going to work for my theme out of the box as advertised and would require considerable effort on my part to get it to even display correctly.
    As such I would like to get a refund for my purchase pleas. How would I go about doing that?
    Once again thanks for your help in trying to get this sorted out.

aecnu

Greetings Kartik,

Thank you for letting us know and sorry to see that it is not working our for you.

It indeed works out of the box as you have proven, the plugin is in fact working. It is the theme that is the issue here and though you think the theme is working out of the box lets try it in reverse, meaning go to the Twenty Eleven theme as WordPress comes with by default, get the plugin going which will be flawless, and then add the theme and now suddenly it is the theme that does not work out of the box.

However, I am not going to argue it with you nor trying to argue with you, I am just pointing out the perspective and the truth and the plugin indeed works as described.

I am surprised that you gave up so easily though and admit that web development is not for everybody.

Please direct any billing concerns to our contact form here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

kartik_natarajan

Hi Joe, Thanks for your reply. I agree it works with the 2011 theme, but unfortunately thats probably not enough for most people, who will customise their themes.
    I expect the widgets to appear in the right place rather than in my footer area! Some css and look and feel etc I am happy to do - but at the very least I would expect the widgets to work correctly.
    Thank you for your help in any case and I will contact your billing department.

Many Thanks,
    Kartik

aecnu

Greetings Kartik,

Thank you for your additional input and insight.

I agree it works with the 2011 theme, but unfortunately thats probably not enough for most people, who will customise their themes.

I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree with you on this point, but WPMU DEV does not support customizations nor custom coding as my direct in line Boss clearly points out.

I expect the widgets to appear in the right place rather than in my footer area!

I once again totally agree and therefore as we have indeed proven it is a theme issue and not a WPMU DEV theme at that.

Some css and look and feel etc I am happy to do - but at the very least I would expect the widgets to work correctly.

And last but not least I again agree here as well and as we have proven this is indeed directly theme related.

Cheers, Joe