The rudeness of the WPMU update plugin

I can't believe what you guys have done here. Its like a textbook example of "how to piss off your customer."

I just installed the SEO plugin on a blog. I paid money to you. It's not like you're doing me a favor.

So now, in order to get it to work and not to be annoyed by endless pink prompts on every page in my install, I have to:

1 Download update plugin
2 install it
3 put in my API
4 set up settings so it doesn't continue to annoy me

Guys - I get it. You want make sure that your customers know all the latest, etc. But has it ever occurred to you that some people don't care? We just want to install one plugin and get the site done, then move on to the next one. We don't want or need to know every time someone writes a line of code.

The fact that I can turn off updates shows that someone there knows this. So if I can turn it off, why not give me the option of not installing it? I have to do this every time I set up a site with one of your plugins?

I guess you guys think this is good marketing. It's not. It's intrusive and rude. I could see it if I was using a free plugin. But I paid for this. I paid for my vendor to force me to do extra work so he can market to me.

xInd

I don't think it has anything to do with marketing.
    The only other way to provide automatic updates to plugins is to put them in the wordpress.org database which almost makes them free plugins and I find the licensing requirements for paid plugins in there to be even more of a pain.

My suggestion to you -- create a core wordpress install and clone it. You don't need to set it all up everytime. Pick the things you are always going to use and get everything done once, then instead of installing from scratch next time you make a site simply restore a database, us a wp cloner plugin (I have one I bought elsewhere I can sell if interested, license says Im not allowed to give it away) but I've noticed lots of backup and restore plugins now that almost do the same thing just in a few extra steps...

DavidM

Yeah, there didn't used to be this means of providing updates actually, but everything had to be done manually and you had to keep on top of updates here at the site or through rss feeds.

The Update Notifications makes auto-updates possible but more so, it provides a way to inform members of updates for security purposes. I think that for security reasons, it helps to have the message at the top of the dashboard.

Thanks for your feedback though, your voice is definitely heard and these things are discussed in response to such feedback to try and work out better ways of handling things.

Thanks too for your great explanation xInd, and a great suggestion!