The SignUp path for e-newsletters & Membership is Not Clear

I have just tested a signup to the e-newsletter widget on our site using info@geelongstreet.com.au (after removing it after other other tests).

I signed up to the two newsletter GROUPS that show on the public page - via the widget (see both page and widget boxes at https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/subscribe-to-hear-about-our-e-books/) - and clicked Save Subscriptions, got the confirming email and clicked on the link to confirm and got the Subcribe Success screen.

***All good so far.***

I then created a Sign in account using that email.
It is member #81.

After LOGGING IN for the first time, the e-newsletter widget (which for logged out viewers shows the two groups and a Save Subscriptions button) only has a "Subscribe to Newsletters" button - INSTEAD OF showing the two listed groups with the "Save Subscriptions" button

This is despite ALREADY having selected the two groups as a visitor and then Signing up to the site with that email.

Observation 1: You do NOT know what you are signing up for with such a general title "Subscribe to Newsletters" - it is not clear. It should ONLY be showing the groups you can sign up for...or more accurately: what you have ALREADY signed up for.

Q1. Why is the "Subscribe to Newsletters" button showing instead of the group boxes AFTER you have signed up via the e-newsletter AND signed in?

Q2. What generates this "Subscribe to Newsletters" button and can it be changed permanently so it only lists the groups? I do not think it should even be appearing once you have groups they can select from.

It is a confusing process for signups:

Once people sign up for the e-newsletter, there is no message to say sign up to the site.

If they do sign up to the site, there is nothing to lead them to sign up for a membership. They have to guess to do that.

Then once you are in - AFTER you selected the two groups you are confronted AGAIN with "Subscribe to Newsletters" button.

No wonder NO ONE is clicking on it!

Observation #2

I just observed something else...from the backend of the process (which might give a clue as to what is wrong).

Member #80 signed up the other day and has "Unsubscribed (red), Career Tips & Hints...e-courses, Career Tips & Hints...e-books (green text)"

Member #81 - today does NOT have Unsubscribed against the record. It just has "Career Tips & Hints...e-courses, Career Tips & Hints...e-books".

Member #81 clicked on "Subscribe to Newsletters" button AFTER logging in.
Member #80 - I suspect did NOT click on "Subscribe to Newsletters" button as people want to know what they are signing up for.

So both are subscribed to the groups BUT #80 is showing in admin BOTH AS the red UNSUBSCRIBED text ALONGSIDE the green groups they have subscribed to.

Surely it is nonsensical - how can you have a red UNSUBSCRIBED listed AS WELL AS the Groups you ARE subscribed to.

Clearly something is not coordinating between Membership and e-newsletter for members and what they are signed up for.

Could someone please look at this mess?

Thank you.
Karen

• Karen

PS

On the Welcome page - after I signed up as Member #81, I clicked on "Subscribe to Newsletters" button and got an "Error occurred while subscribing..." message.

Observation #3
    It seems to me that the "Subscribe to Newsletters" button applies to the Membership pages only....

I think there should only be ONE Subscribe button not two current varieties that exist ie :
    1. visitors ("Save Subscriptions" button + groups to choose) and for
    2. Membership members ("Subscribe to Newsletters" button with NO idea what you are signing up for).

I think 2. should be ditched.

The public groups should show to the public and the non-public and public ones show to Members.

And in the Admin panel, Members should NOT be able to have both red (Unsubscribed) and green text (groups Subscribed to) listed against the one record.

You are either subscribed or you are NOT!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Karen,

Observation 1: You do NOT know what you are signing up for with such a general title "Subscribe to Newsletters" - it is not clear. It should ONLY be showing the groups you can sign up for...or more accurately: what you have ALREADY signed up for.

Is this on your subscribe page? If that's the case then you can add any additional information you like there.

If it's in the widget and you want to add more information, then you can just use the shortcode in a text widget instead and add further information.

Can you grant access again? It looks like the token has become invalid.

Q1. Why is the "Subscribe to Newsletters" button showing instead of the group boxes AFTER you have signed up via the e-newsletter AND signed in?

Can you check your members to ensure they are indeed the same user ID?

Q2. What generates this "Subscribe to Newsletters" button and can it be changed permanently so it only lists the groups? I do not think it should even be appearing once you have groups they can select from.

On my installation it shows the boxes as long as you have show_groups set to '1'. The Subscribe to Newsletters button is to actually do the action of subscribing. Without, the button they wouldn't be able to complete the subscription process - unless I'm misunderstanding the question here?

Clearly something is not coordinating between Membership and e-newsletter for members and what they are signed up for.

Could someone please look at this mess?

Are they still receiving the emails for those groups? Once I have access again I can compare it to my installation :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Karen

Tyler

Is this on your subscribe page? If that's the case then you can add any additional information you like there.

No it is on BOTH the Subscribe page AND the Widget for MEMBERSHIP MEMBERS. (The GROUPS show on BOTH the PAGE and WIDGET for NON-MEMBERS.) It is inconsistent to have two different signups.

Sorry - your comment is missing the point. Something is generating "Subscribe for Newsletters" for Membership members on both the PAGE and the WIDGET.

Why is there not just the GROUPS and the "Save Newsletters" button for everyone - regardless of whether they are a Membership Member or new to the page and signing up for the newsletter.

• Karen

Can you check your members to ensure they are indeed the same user ID?

Sorry but I don't understand. I tested this with info@geelongstreet.com.au. It is the one signin. It is the same email. It is the person who signed up to newsletter groups who is then signing up to be a Membership member...yes they are the same. It is the ONE member number #81.

Something is WRONG with the process.

• Karen
    Q2. What generates this "Subscribe to Newsletters" button and can it be changed permanently so it only lists the groups? I do not think it should even be appearing once you have groups they can select from

On my installation it shows the boxes as long as you have show_groups set to '1'. The Subscribe to Newsletters button is to actually do the action of subscribing. Without, the button they wouldn't be able to complete the subscription process - unless I'm misunderstanding the question here?

Sorry to say, but yes you are misunderstanding the question.

There is a "Subscribe to Newsletters" button - you have NO IDEA what groups you are signing up for. There are NO GROUPS shown. If you click on it (which NO ONE is doing) you have NO IDEA what you are signing up for BUT you will end up with (red) unsubscribed and (green) text for the groups you are subscribed to. It is a nonsense.

There is "Save Subscriptions" button which appears underneath the two GROUPS.

These are two DIFFERENT BUTTONS - doing the SAME THING.

BUT one button (the first) appears to MEMBERSHIP MEMBERS.
    The second button appears to NEW VISITORS SIGNING UP.

Please see this dropbox document. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4rwz15sw11kejo/140822%20Signing%20in%20issues.docx

• Karen

Are they still receiving the emails for those groups?

If only I could SEND an newsletter email!

The format is woeful and I am trying to create a decent-looking newsletter to send.

I have mainly testers on the list and I don't want to annoy them with this stuff.

..or are you talking about CONFIRMATION EMAILS.

You only get those if you are a site visitor signing up to groups for the first time. That worked for me. If you sign up as a member after that, you get no email.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your question.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.