The slider is broken

Since doing a plugin conflict test, the two rotating images in the header of this page don't rotate and only one image partly loads:
https://www.co*********ce.com/creating-high-performance/

• Ash

Hello PCI Team

I have checked your site in different browsers and I didn't find any slider there. The balloon image is loaded fine. I have also checked with my colleagues and found the same.

One thing I noticed in console though, there is a missing image link in your site: https://www.coac*******ance.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/shutterstock-photo-leadership-concept-gold-and-silver-balls-91801490-(1).jpg

Would you please check again and let me know? Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• PCI Team

Hi Ash

Thanks for taking a look. The problem was occurring in Firefox and Chrome for myself and Katya Tsihotska who was helping me yesterday.

Because of the problem yesterday, I changed from Image slider to a single Featured image but even so, the balloon image was only loading half-way from left side of the screen and then blank from middle of screen to the right side. The favicon was also not showing on that page or on /resources. Today, all seems to be working fine and I have swapped back to the Image slider.

The one thing that I changed before logging off yesterday was manually change the caching expiry time in my .htaccess file from 6 hours to 8 days as recommended by Hummingbird.

<IfModule mod_expires.c>
    ExpiresActive On
    ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 8 days"
    ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 8 days"
    ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 8 days"
    ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 8 days"
    ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 8 days"
    ExpiresByType application/pdf "access plus 8 days"
    ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 8 days"
    ExpiresByType text/html "access plus 10 minutes"
    ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year"
    ExpiresDefault "access plus 8 days"
    </IfModule>
    Header set X-Endurance-Cache-Level "2"

So, today I did a search for our host Bluehost and Endurance and found this which exactly describes some other problems I've been having

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/what-is-wp-contentendurance-page-cache-creating-thousands-of-directories/

Last week, before the slider and favicon problem, I had Events + activated and was getting 20 hero.jpg images loaded to wp-content/uploads/2017/10 every time someone visited /events-archive or /workshops page. Rupok Chowdhury who was helping me suggested it might be something to do with Endurance but I didn't have time to follow up with Bluehost and instead I deactivated Events plugin.

I have Upfront Parrot theme which includes these hero.jpg, hero-1.jpg and hero-2.jpg images in many folders in wp-content/themes/uf-parrot/images. In Upfront I had edited the template for the /events-archive page and removed the elements with these images but somehow they were still being called on every time the page was loaded and somehow they were loading new copies in my media library wp-content/uploads/2017/10.

So, believing Endurance to be the problem, I have just asked Bluehost to switch it off and so they renamed two files in /wp-content/mu-plugins:

endurance-page-cache.php
    endurance-php-edge.php

And removed all the lines from my .htaccess file that I copied above.

However, I just reactivated Events +, assuming that Endurance caused the problems of images saving to media library, and then visited /workshops. Another bunch of hero images immediately appeared in wp-content/uploads/2017/10. So not Endurance!

BTW, if I do leave Endurance switched off, should I install W3 Total Cache or can I do it all through Hummingbird?

How did you locate the missing image link without a plugin like Broken Link Checker? I have deleted that image from the server but can't remember which draft page it was linked to. Judging by the time of your reply, I think that when you visited the page with the missing image it created another 10 hero images in wp-content/uploads/2017/10. Which points to a general Upfront/Parrot problem and nothing to do with Events + which was deactivated at the time.

Many thanks

Frances

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Frances,

Sorry for missing this in my previous post:

However, I just reactivated Events +, assuming that Endurance caused the problems of images saving to media library, and then visited /workshops. Another bunch of hero images immediately appeared in wp-content/uploads/2017/10. So not Endurance!

Would it be possible that you will send us FTP access to your site (or maybe staging site on the same server) so we can check that issue?
      If yes, could you please send in the following via our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question :

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Kasia Swiderska
      - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
      - Link back to this thread
      - Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password)
      - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
      - Include any relevant URLs for your site

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Please confirm here that you send those credentials

BTW, if I do leave Endurance switched off, should I install W3 Total Cache or can I do it all through Hummingbird?

Right now, for page caching yes, you should have caching plugin like WP Super Cache or W3 Total Cache. But in future (see here https://premium.wpmudev.org/roadmap/ ) it will also possible with Hummingbird.

How did you locate the missing image link without a plugin like Broken Link Checker?

I will assume that Ash saw that in the browser console. Browser console shows 404 errors if resource like image or other file is missing.

kind regards,
      Kasia

• PCI Team

Hi Ash

In the end, Hummingbird recommended, I have installed WP Super Cache.

In Hummingbird, Minification, a while ago I had chosen to store my files on the WPMU DEV CDN.

Under "Remove render blocking resources" I saw this evening that in 15 blocking script resources there were 8 .js files all with gibberish names like 1234234fjdk4545kljdsv3r3e4r.js which were supposed to be located in wp-content/uploads/2017/10. I couldn't see them on the server. However, after switching off CDN and reloading my home page, 8 js files were immediately saved in that folder (with current date and time stamp), along with 3 .css files that are listed under "Optimize CSS Delivery". So, very odd that non-image files have also been saved in the media library!

I deleted the files from the server and did a new Performance Test. There are 8 .js and 3 .css files listed in the report as showing in wp-content/uploads/2017/10 but they don't show on the server. However, if you click on one of the hyperlinks in the Performance Test list (under Remove render blocking resources), it goes to Page not found and then 1 .js and 1 .css file are saved on the server, with different name to the one in the link.

I don't know if it's significant but Google PageSpeed Tools, Insights is only seeing 2 render-blocking jquery files, not 15.

Thanks for your help

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello PCI Team,

I cleared cache in Hummingbird and run again Performance Test and also run Google page speed test.
    Both Performance Test and Google page speed show the same result for JS and CSS files.
    Also link files are showing they are hosted on the WPMU DEV cloud.

I suspect that before those inconsistent results were caused by not clearing cache in Hummingbird.

So, very odd that non-image files have also been saved in the media library!

That is correct - Hummingbird keeps minified and combined files in uploads directory. That is done by design.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• PCI Team

Hi Kasia and Ash

Am trying to avoid building a staging site. So I've done a bit more investigating as to what is causing the hero images to be created.

In Defender lockout logs, we keep getting "404 Request for file shutterstock-photo-leadership-concept-gold-and-silver-balls-91801490-(1).jpg which doesn't exist." I deleted it ages ago but it was still in the database as "background_image" in THEME-regions-global. There's also a video in there that I deleted ages ago too. Yesterday your colleague Kris explained that those files images in the database are related to revisions in Wordpress so he suggested I clear the database from drafts and latest versions. I installed and ran all the actions in WP-Optimize. The hero problem has not resolved (I haven't checked to see if the old image and video file names still appear in the database).

This page (published 6 September) does not lead to hero images being created:
    https://www.coachingperformance.com/thank-you-for-your-message/

This page (published 27 October) does:
    https://www.coachingperformance.com/de/danke-german-thank-you-for-your-message/

I only just started using Polylang, so that isn't part of the problem. The German page was created by applying the template Single Page 2997 (ie the layout from the English page) in Upfront, page settings, templates. In the German page, in Upfront, when you try to add an image, eg change background or drag the image element, and then browse media, the only images that are shown are the new hero images that have been created in /wp-content/uploads/2017/11. It doesn't see any other images that are in that folder nor does it see the other months 08, 09 or 10.

In the English page, when adding an image, you can see all the images in all four of the /2017 subfolders.

The other odd thing is that when comparing the source for both pages, the only main difference I can see is that the logo in the German footer I created (Coaching vor Performance) is identified as an object:
    <div data-preset_map="" class="upfront-output-object default upfront-output-image upfront-image" id="object-1509147382587-1311" data-theme-styles='{"default":false}'>

and the one in the English footer is identified as an image:
    <div data-preset_map="" class="upfront-output-object default upfront-output-image upfront-image" id="image-1504102726044-1729" data-theme-styles='{"default":false}'>

image-1504102726044-1729 is defined in the database as /wp-content/uploads/2017/08/PERFORMANCE-logo-134x134-3009.png

but object-1509147382587-1311 doesn't seem to be defined anywhere in the database. It just appears in the [THEME]-regions-global code. I imagine that when I cloned the element, as the page wasn't linking to the media library correctly, it couldn't find the correct image id and assigned an object id instead?

I created a new test page in wp-admin, Pages, Add New, with Default Template selected:

https://www.coachingperformance.com/add-new-hero-test-default-template/

If you log in, and open that page in Upfront and try to add an image, you'll see that just the action of browsing the media library (don't insert an image) will adds another 2 images each time, which on the server = 10 files (hero.jpg and hero-2.jpg and all the file sizes).

Open an old page, and it connects to the full media library properly.

The notices in debug.log are:

[02-Nov-2017 19:48:08 UTC] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /plugins/wp-hummingbird/core/modules/class-module-page-caching.php on line 1124
    [02-Nov-2017 20:07:43 UTC] PHP Notice: Array to string conversion in /wp-includes/formatting.php on line 1031
    [02-Nov-2017 20:10:32 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: type in /themes/upfront/library/upfront_functions.php on line 327

Before, it wasn't such a trouble as it was only affecting pages that I didn't need, like the Events + /workshop page I was trying out. My real concern now is that I am translating the site into Turkish and then many other languages. The Turkish site has to be ready at the start of next week. The first almost complete Turkish page is https://www.coachingperformance.com/tr/yuksek-performans-yaratmak/ which used the English version Single Page layout for its template. When you visit that page (logged out), hero and hero-2 and all file sizes are uploaded to server. On 9 November, 100s of people at a conference might start viewing that page and the others that will be ready by then. I really need to stop the hero upload problem before then!

Many thanks for your help (and do you think this needs a new topic as I don't think it has anything to do with the broken slider).

Kind regards

Frances