Snapshot Dropbox 'Fail'

Hi, the Snapshot plugin I bought earlier this week is 'failing' to export to Dropbox.

I've added/removed Dropbox several times (tried it with different Dropbox accounts - all paid ones) but it's still says "Fail". However, it backs up to the local server fine when I change the options from Dropbox to the web server.

I've enabled admin support on the site in question kevreilly.com

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey Kevin,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I took a liberty of visiting your site and I've run a snapshot to the Dropbox. It all went fine. That said, was it just a one time "glitch", have you managed to deal with it before I answered or am I missing something here?

Please advise!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Kevin
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi,

I've checked the Apps folder of my Dropbox account and no zip file was sent.

It currently says 'Fail' on 3 snapshots now. (See attachment).

The Snapshot app is authenticated with Dropbox (as it's created a WPMU DEV folder in the Apps folder) but no zip has been sent.

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Kevin!

Thank you for your feedback. The snapshot I run seemed to be fine and there was no errors but of course I wasn't able to check the "other site" (if the file was actually uploaded to the DropBox). That said, I'd like to further investigate the issue but unfortunately the support access you've granted has already expired (it's 72hrs only usually) so could you please re-grant it for me and if possible keep it open until the issue is fixed?

Let me know when you're ready!

Thanks,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for granting and extending an access!

I took another look at your site and snapshot's logs and it seems that this time there are some useful information inside.

Your snapshots are quite big so .zip backup archives are being sent to Dropbox in chunks. Each time the upload process is triggered by WP Cron (that's by design so it's fine) and a part of the backup file is being sent to the Dropbox destination. The log file for failed backup ("faild" in terms of destination) indicates that for some reason the script wasn't able to complete uploading of an archive within 48 hours.

Unfortunately, 48 hours is a window allowed by Dropbox API and all uploads not finished withing this time frame are simply cancelled by Dropbox.

Why does it happen? WP Cron strictly depends on the traffic the site is receiving so it may not be accurate. Since there's a Jetpack plugin installed with Site Stats module enabled I was able to take a look and find out that your site may simply not be getting enough traffic.

I think to confirm (or eliminate) this you may want to try this simple precedure:

- install "auto refresh" plugin for your browser

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/reloadevery/
    Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/refresh-monkey/ljngnafhejmefmijjoedbclkadhacebd

- disable current snapshots and create a new one
    - open your home page in a separate browser window and set it to refresh e.g every minute
    - leave this window open for some time

At some point you should see that this new snapshot has either been successfully sent to Dropbox (please observe the log file, the process is not finished if it says it's "pending") or failed. Hopefully it will say it has finished and the file will be uploaded.

Let me know please of the result.

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.