The WPMU Chronicles Part 1- Getting Started

The WPMU Chonicles Part 1

As I venture forth after 2 weeks into never ending world of WPMU I needed to stop and reflect on my experience with MU and WPMU dev.
I will admit I am new to this MU thing and a new subscriber of WPMU dev. So I wanted to share my view for other newbies that are just getting started or wondering is it worth it?

First off when you sign up with WPMU dev and install the WPMU dashboard prepare yourself for an onslaught of Wordpress and WPMU goodies coming your way at mach 10.

The sensory overload can be a bit overwhelming at first and reminded me of the old cartoon with the character saying.."Which way do I go?, Which way do I go?"

Relax, say "wooooosaaaa" a couple times and you will slowly slip into the peace called WPMU Nirvana.

I wasn't calling it that at first, mind you, because for me it hit me in the face with information overload. Yes, many expletives were used at this point in my venture.

I strongly recommend creating what your goal is first and starting a list. Secondly browse through and find what tools you will need, See which tools integrate with each other and which best work for your starting point. Wash, rinse, repeat

I learned this lesson the hard way. I jumped in head first into Everything at once and struggled with all that information overload BUT it eventually subsided into a relaxed but exhilirating state of mental stimulation. It's bliss, but wait, There's More? "wooooosaaaa"

Cheers,

Bob Collins

• aristath

Hello again Bob, I hope you're well today!

Thank you for your kind words, it really means a lot to us.

I think the most important thing - as you mentioned too - is knowing what you want to do.
    If one has a clear vision of what they want to achieve, WordPress and our plugins are like building something with LEGOs. You just have to pick the right pieces for what you want to build and not put everything in there.
    It takes some getting used to... but when building a site one should consider themselves an architect (in fact that's what my business card says... "Web Architect").
    Pick the right materials and the building will be there for life. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.