The WPMU DEV dashboard menu placement is lame

I like the new WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, but I really, really don't like the fact that it is placed at the top of the dashboard menus. My clients don't need to use the WPMU DEV Dashboard often (if at all), and actually, neither do I. To presume that your plugin is more important than Posts and Pages (not to mention all the other standard Dashboard menus) is to presume a lot. Too much. Your menu should be down below Settings, like any well-behaved plugin's menu. I really, really don't like where you have it now.

If you insist on being pushy with its placement, then give us an easy way to move it to somewhere less obtrusive and egotistical please.

• freelancelance

Hi Timothy,

Sorry for the delayed reply; I didn't get notification that anyone had responded.

There are a few issues here:

1. My clients ARE admins of their own sites. I install your plugins on their sites, then your pushy notice starts popping up at the top, so I have no choice but to install the Dashborad plugin to make that go away, and then I/my client gets your pushy WPMU-DEV menu item, which apparently thinks its the most important thing in the WP dashboard.

2. I don't really accept instructions that involve editing wp-config.php. Mature plugins shouldn't require editing WordPress's php files and FTPing, IMO. Also, I didn't ask about hiding it totally, and that's not what I want to do.

3. Your suggestion totally sidesteps the issue, which is clearly stated in the topic title: "The WPMU DEV dashboard menu placement is lame". You guys put that thing in a dumb, obtrusive, pushy, loud, annoying, inappropriate, unprecedented, pushy, pushy, egotistical, and lame place. (Is that clearer?) You need to move it down where any reasonable occasional-use plugin with its own menu would go--below the Settings menu. Your current placement implies--insists, really--that the WPMU-DEV plugin is equally important as the WP Dashboard itself. It's more important than Posts and Pages, more important than themes and plugins, more important than Settings and all the plugins that add their links there. But it's not more important than those things. So really it's just you guys trying to jam your brand up our noses, and by extension, our clients' noses. It's annoying and inappropriate, and that should be totally obvious, frankly.

Please let me know when you guys are going to get your ego in check and move that menu item to an appropriate location in the menu hierarchy, like professionals. Thanks!

• freelancelance

Thanks for the tip, Mark! I thought my original post was pretty well-mannered actually. And the substance of it was completely ignored. So I tried to restate my case more clearly and fully. I'm not sure there's a nice way to say "Your plugin's placement is totally unprofessional and obnoxious; please make it be professional and not obnoxious instead." And I'm not really looking for help on this issue...I'm making a case for what's right. This isn't about helping me; like most of my posts so far, this is about helping WPMU-DEV do better at what they're trying to do. But again, thanks for telling me how to behave. I was just thinking how I'd like some unsolicited personal advice from a stranger. :wink:

• Timothy Bowers

There are currently no plans on changing the positioning.

As previously mentioned if you think it is "in a dumb, obtrusive, pushy, loud, annoying, inappropriate, unprecedented, pushy, pushy, egotistical, and lame place. (Is that clearer?)" then you can disable it, but currently there are no options for reordering.

If a considerable amount of members were to request this then it would be considered further for a future release.

Maybe this plugin is capable of reordering for you:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/admin-menu-editor/

Take care.

• freelancelance

To clarify, I don't *think* it's in a "dumb, obtrusive, pushy, loud, annoying, inappropriate, unprecedented, pushy, pushy, egotistical, and lame place", I *know* it is. I submit that that statement is uncontestable. If you'd like, I'd be happy to justify each of those adjectives one by one. I think they are self-explanatory though. It's like telling the loud obnoxious drunk guy at the bar that he's being loud. Of course he'll think it's just your opinion (and probably offer to beat you up for it)--but to everyone else in the bar, it's a completely obvious fact--whether they have the balls to say it out loud or not.

And how exactly would I go about disabling it? All of your plugins and themes fervently insist that it be installed. Are you not aware that a big red message comes up at the top of the Dashboard to that effect?

If you don't plan on moving it, then how about justifying it? What makes your Dashboard plugin so important that it deserves to be above all of the standard WP menu items? Why is it more important than Posts and Pages and Plugins and Appearance and Settings? (Clarification: it's obviously not more important, but why do you guys apparently think it is?)

Ideally, I'd prefer someone answer that who hasn't proven that he doesn't care or listen to what I'm posting. No offense Timothy, but your original reply here completely disregarded everything of substance in my original post, and when I clarified/restated my points and asked for a timeline on fixing this, you completely ignored me. I had to come back a month later and re-ask the exact same thing I asked in my prior post in order to get the half-hearted response I just got from you (which of course, still leaves the rest of my responses to you above unanswered.)

• Timothy Bowers

And how exactly would I go about disabling it? All of your plugins and themes fervently insist that it be installed. Are you not aware that a big red message comes up at the top of the Dashboard to that effect?

It tells you within the usage instructions how to disable the messages and menu link.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/#usage

Its clear there how you can remove it.

Follow-up question: why do you need to wait for a "considerable amount of members" in order to do the right thing?

Well I started here as a member just like you and it never bothered me nor my clients, it is and was the right thing for me and when it wasn't I simply removed them. I never saw it as as any of these:

it's in a "dumb, obtrusive, pushy, loud, annoying, inappropriate, unprecedented, pushy, pushy, egotistical, and lame place", I *know* it is.

That still your opinion. My opinion is it isn't, and we're both welcome to our own opinion.

Thanks.

• Mason

@freelancelance, If you're using the plugins on client sites, it'd probably be best to remove the code from the plugins for updates.

The dashboard plugin is intended for members here to help them install/stay up to date on plugins and get support. It's not meant your clients. I'm sure they don't want/need it and in that context I wouldn't install it.

The code within each plugin that calls the dashboard plugin is always centrally located and easy to remove. That may be the best move for your clients.

All that being said, this thread's gone on long enough. You've made your concern noted and while we don't have any current plans to change this hopefully one of the above methods will work for you.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.