The WPMUDEV Support Live Chat but as a sidebar widget?

Hi guys,
I was thinking about your decision to maybe release the live chat rooms you have here as a plugin but what I think would be an awesome implementation of them would be a sidebar widget with a live chat in it for site support. Just incase something is needed to be brought to an admins attention then someone could type it into the live chat.

Dunno if it would be able to be site wide on everypage and synced so that it remains live whilst browsing but thought it would be a great plugin.

I have seen shoutboxes but there aren't any good looking ones out there from what I have seen and they don't integrate with a BP login.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Ross :slight_smile:

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

A chat box is different than a shoutbox. You have to remember that when a visitor moves around a site, everything reloads. That's ok for a shoutbox since that's pretty much static but not ok for an ongoing chatroom since that's constant interaction.

I wouldn;t mind a live chat plugin though. I'm sure they exist.

If you really want a widget, take a look at meebo as they offer one. You'll have to rewrite it though as you have to copy and paste the embed code and that would be a security risk.

• rossagrant
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Yeah even a live support chat room like they have here would be great. It's incredibly simple the chat room here and I really like that.

I just want a live way of my members getting in touch with me that they don't have to login to seperately.
    I think James did mention it once.

A support room and the membership plugin and my site will be ready to rock!

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Our upcoming chat plugin will be pretty much based on the one we use for live support.

There are quite a few features in terms of admin commands / archiving that we don't advertise too - but if you have any feature requests (such as a 'report to admin' feature) then let us know.

Needless to say though, it'll be one of those plugins that adapts once its released and gets used a lot.

• rossagrant
    • The Incredible Code Injector

James, once again a report to admin option would be great. Is there any chance that the chat plugin could integrate with 'groups' in buddy press? Dunno how that might impact my site though as I have nearly 2000 groups. Obviously not all of them will be active at once.

What do you think, possible? Or a drain on site resources?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.