The wpmudev survey - complementary infos

Hi !

I have completed the survey, but a little too fast and wanted to add this "general" consideration, specially about buddypress plugins.

It seems that the buddypress dev community is sleeping a little, and many essential plugins or enhancements are not up to date and really not usable in production environement. That s a pity but this is the fact.

The lack of support for core or plugins is just annoying, letting many people think that bp is not a really pro usable plugins.

But you guys are pros...

So, although some plugins as Jet Events System, BP Courseware, Friends (a french one !!) are seriously updated, many essentials are not :

- forum extension and enhancements as this bbpress is just... well, sucks :slight_frown: : no smileys, no wisiwyg editor, no structure (cat/sub cat...), no last post link, no.... well it sucks for a "funny" community board.

- BP groupblog, seems to be "forgotten", eitheir it is just, to my mind, essential as wpmudev is for WP :wink:

- bp documents is also forgotten, but really important.

Would be great that you guys, complete your survey with "what -user friendly - buddypress plugins do you need" :slight_smile:

Thanks for attention !

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I've been wondering if buddypress is going to go the way of bbpress, wpmu, talkpress and backpress. (Anyone else remember talkpress and backpress?)

The lack of support for core or plugins is just annoying, letting many people think that bp is not a really pro usable plugins.

Not trying to be an *cough* here and not trying to be negative in anyone's direction but is there any very large site (ie 1+million users) running it? It's not even on their flagship wp.com site. What does that say?

Buddypress came out the door being heavy for server and processor responses. Not sure where things are currently with that. I know we had one install give it a try about a year ago. (edit: Maybe it was 18 months come to think about it. Think it was late summer '10) We removed it after about three days.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Actually been thinking about suggesting forking wpmu, getting rid of all those is_multisite calls, building in a few of the plugins from here and making them core, etc. The recent change over to also supporting single site installs kind of put a damper on that.

Not saying that's negative. Just mentioning it.

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Thanks for the extra feedback... the future of BuddyPress (and the degree to which it is being supported) would make a good blog post.

At the moment we're really just responding to demand... and theres much more demand for WP than BP stuff... but we shall see!

• Lorange
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Everyone here is using WP. Not everyone is using buddypress. I'm sure it's a great plug-in but i really don't need it and would be very disappointed if WPMUdev put to much empasis on this Very specific and particular Third party plugin.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.