Theme for the main site - question.

Hello,

I believe this is my first post here, so a big HELLO straight from Brazil to all of you. Looking forward to getting to know everyone better and hopefully contribute somehow.

I'm in the process of setting up a MU install and, honestly, I don't like the looks of the current BP/MU themes available.

So, the big question is...

Say I want to pick a premium theme from Woo or ThemeForest, would I encounter any issues if I use a regular (simple install) premium theme for the main site?

I don't see any flaws, other than not having the out-of-the-box login/logout integration. Am I missing any "under the hood" features?

Thank you very much!

• aecnu

Greetings rodgomes,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

What a great question!

Though you may not like the answer this is what I have found during my last year plus working with WPMU Dev as both a Member and earning to be part of the staff:

In the stay away from list it is my opinion that Genesis, Thesis, Salutations, and Theme Forest themes are the hardest to integrate with and I truly appreciate your asking this question.

With regards to Theme Forest themes an independent article kind of said it all for me:
    http://wpcandy.com/thinks/themeforest-is-the-red-headed-stepchild

Though I have found that most Theme Forest Themes to be stunning and pixel perfect, I have to agree with Valerie whom offered the first comment on the article above when she said "You’re right – a lot of them are great looking. I’ve purchased several for just that reason. But of the 10 of so themes I’ve purchased from ThemesForest over the past year, only 1 is actually in use. The rest of them, once I started working with them, ended up being too limiting in one way or another, had serious coding problems, conflicts with plugins or other, major customization roadblocks and very little to no support from the author."

It seems that many theme authors are this way, the themes are beautiful but integration and compatibility are the purchasers problem in their minds.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• rodgomes

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the great response, very helpful to know your stay away from list.

I agree about TF themes. I've had my share of badly developed and buggy themes as well as disappearing or non supportive authors.

It isn't a bad resource for good looking and function packed themes, if you're the end user or a freelancer / small agency. But, yes... most of the themes there are temporary and you'll eventually end up buying more themes than you know what to do with before they go out of business.

I'm still not 100% clear on this one... are there any vital integration I'd miss if I run another premium theme as my WPMU main site? This theme wouldn't be available to other MU blogs... just to be clear.

Or maybe an "outside" theme simply wouldn't work?

Sorry to be a pain, just want to be sure before I move on. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.