theme built for client but need to add google verification to front page

Hi There -

I was handed a client a few months ago that had a custom built theme for their website. I have yet been able to locate in the wordpress dashboard where I can add the meta tag so that I can verify my ownership of the site with google.

Normally it's the simplest tasks and easy, but because of the sophistication of the theme (or my lack of understanding the theme), I need help.

Would you be able to access the general wordpress dashboard for my client and help me figure out where I can go to add the meta tag to the front page?

Please!

I already have the meta tag <meta name="google-site-verification" content="tsK1yecjbSmCF9z5Wgqr7JAw0z3bxIG79-SbjeyTezY" />.

This client has not been well organized so they're unable to locate their domain name provider.

Thanks!

• Sajid

Hi @Linsey,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

You can add the meta tag in header by using the following code. Add this code in fucntions.php file of your theme/child theme or use it as a mu-plugin.

add_action('wp_head', 'wpmu_add_meta_in_header_cb', 10);
    function wpmu_add_meta_in_header_cb(){

echo '<meta name="google-site-verification" content="tsK1yecjbSmCF9z5Wgqr7JAw0z3bxIG79-SbjeyTezY" />';
    }

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:
    Cheers, Sajid

• Linsey

Hi Sajid:

Thanks for your help. I'm a relative novice here, and the issue that I'm having is I don't have access to any of the login Information (you know, that email that we should have after registering your hosting account with your hosting company). So I'm trying to essentially adding the meta tag to the front page of the website as it seems to be the only area that I have access to.

Unfortunately with the theme (not a theme that I purchased or created) I'm unable to actually locate where the html for the front page is located. Does that make sense? The custom built theme the company is using does not seem to be a traditional themes with easily accessible headers, footers, etc.

I've enabled support access for you to see what I mean. Again, as a relative novice who essentially only plugs in themes and edits, this is a bit beyond my awareness.

Thanks!

• Linsey

Hi Sajid:

Thanks for your help. I'm a relative novice here, and the issue that I'm having is I don't have access to any of the login Information (you know, that email that we should have after registering your hosting account with your hosting company). So I'm trying to essentially adding the meta tag to the front page of the website as it seems to be the only area that I have access to.

Unfortunately with the theme (not a theme that I purchased or created) I'm unable to actually locate where the html for the front page is located. Does that make sense? The custom built theme the company is using does not seem to be a traditional themes with easily accessible headers, footers, etc.

I've enabled support access for you to see what I mean. Again, as a relative novice who essentially only plugs in themes and edits, this is a bit beyond my awareness.

Thanks!

• Nastia

Hello @Lincey, I hope you are doing well today!

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response!

You can use one of our plugins - SmartCrawl SEO

In SmartCrawl settings you can add the Google verification code. Once you install and activate the plugin, go to Settings > SmartCrawl > Step2:Sitemaps tab and add the Google site verification code in Search engines section. Please check the attached screenshot.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.