Theme copyright licensing

I am trying to find out what the copyright situation is for themes purchased from marketplaces like Themeforest? If I purchase a template am I allowed to use it as part of a multisite? I have emailed support at Envato but did not get a response yet.

• ghog
    • The Incredible Code Injector

ok thats interesting. i contacted a theme developer and asked if i purchased an extended license would i then be permitted to use it on a multiuser site. they responded that they didn’t think so.

are you certain that extended license covers multisite usage?

i would hate to spend 2-3k and then not be allowed to use it.

thanks

Tim

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Tim @ghog

Hmm…Interesting, You used to be able to, maybe they changed it, it doesn’t quite make sense the license terms, I’ve read through them you can find them here http://themeforest.net/licenses/extended

It basically reads like you can use this in a application (A WP multisite?) then it says somewhere else somethings aren’t allowed to be used multiple times.

I wouldn’t recommend you spend that sort of money with a firm answer from theme-forest on the matter.

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Themeforrest has a pretty steep price for extended licensing. My understanding is that you can use it for one “end product” Meaning it can be used in multi-site as long as you can argue that it’s all one big “product” in the end. Now, if you build one thing, then a few months down the road use the same theme again for a completely separate project, that might be considered a breach of licensing

But all that to say, if you have a budget like that, and you’re not set on a specific theme, you could might be able to pay less and have a theme custom designed for you. Checkout our job boards if you’re looking for a developer.

Best regards,

Alexander

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi again, looks like a nice theme but @alexander Rohmann suggested, you may be able to get a developer to build you a custom theme for less.

@alexander Rohmann that used to be my understanding as well, but now they specifically put that it can’t be used multiple times, which wouldn’t a multisite count as multi use? It seems to be a grey area to me :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• ghog

haha yeh i agree it’s a grey area and maybe the reason i haven’t received a reply yet. my feeling is that currently if i use it under the extended license and offered it as a free template, meaning i am not on-selling it, then i should be ok, but then what happens if they change their conditions, hmm.

i have used the template for a client and it has a lot of smarts built in which integrate with Beatport and Mixclouds API. if a developer could build something as robust and functional as that for 2k i would be surprised, but happy nevertheless :slight_smile: i will post the project and see what feedback i receive.

thanks guys

• ghog

ok so here is some feedback on the subject.

Finally I heard back from Envato (Theme Forest) and their response was that the extended license did not grant use of themes in a Multisite environment.

However I contacted some other theme clubs and they all approved of using their themes in a Multisite environment, in most cases if I purchase a developer license.

Here is the interesting part. There is a Woo Theme listed on Themeforest. So according to Themeforest that can not be used on a Multiste, however when I contacted Woo about this their reply was:

Hi Ghog,

If you purchase themes through us then yes, you can use them on as many sites as you’d like. I was not aware of Theme Forest having this limitation on our themes.

I hope this helps!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.