Theme Customization using Multisite Setup

Hey guys - had a question as I try to wrap my head around using multisites. I used search but am not finding anything for this topic - if I missed it please just point me to the old post or documentation.

I have multisites up and running and then loaded a new site using a subdomain. Site is up and I then set up the Product theme. All good so far.

Where or how do I do theme customization? Specifically how do I ftp into the files using Filezilla. I know the core files are being shared, but isn't the "look & feel" files accessible by each subdomain install? I knew how to do this back when I used Joomla, but it has escaped me and I am lost trying to find it.

BTW - the forums are great. I have had many of my questions answered just by searching.

Thanks!!

-Scott

• aecnu

Greetings Scott,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Where or how do I do theme customization? Specifically how do I ftp into the files using Filezilla. I know the core files are being shared, but isn't the "look & feel" files accessible by each subdomain install?

I do not like this to be the first answer you get from support here but the answer is that there is no facility for sub domains to modify themes outside of those available in the site admin dashboard.

When an adjustment is made to a theme within the wp-content/themes folder by the network admin it is network wide.

Of course there are both pros and cons to this structure but as mentioned above - for sub site admins they only can modify what is presented to them within the dashboard and when concerning themes only the options available in the Appearance menu.

Please advise if you have any more questions regarding this topic by simply check marking below this ticket as not resolved and posting your additional questions or issues.

Cheers, Joe

• smichaud

Hello - thanks for your response and yes that was a "bummer" for a first answer. But as the saying goes "it is what it is".

With that said, I wanted to follow up and explore any options that might be available to me so that I can keep network functionality, but allow for a little more customization. I also understand that you can't/don't offer custom development support here - however, I am more looking to see what might be possible and then I can decide if it makes sense to hire a freelancer or try it myself.

The network we are building is unique in that we have strategists that set up and manage all our client websites. So the actual end user never touches that site except for uploading content once the site is live. This allows me/us to do all the initial site builds and allow for some customization. The customization I am really looking for is with the stylesheets - a little padding here or an extended margin there.

Correct me if I am wrong - right now each theme network wide allows for individual sites to have a special folder that is part of the blog.dir to call unique images. How does the network theme distinguish each site? Meaning is there a functions call that dynamically sets each site apart and allows the network theme to deviate and call images separately?

I ask because couldn't a similar functions call (maybe a wp_register_style) be made to allow for a custom.css stylesheet be added for each site?

Again, just looking to extend this one "small step".

If the above is not possible or too complicated is there a way to still use all the great multisite functionality but run separate theme installs for each site or subdomain?

Thanks for any additional help you might be able to offer!!

-Scott

• aecnu

Greetings Scott,

Well it would be my opinion that you may be able to accomplish the different css goal by creating a unique child theme name for each relative client and you activate the child theme each time and not the main theme. It should address the main theme and therefore you can have your custom files in the child.

I think this would be the best route to go.

Let me know what you think of my idea which I believe will get the job done that you want to accomplish.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.