Theme Development tools and frameworks

Hello,
I've been thinking for some time now to begin creating my first wordpress theme and today after many hours of googling about theme frameworks and how to's i have learned a lot but i got kinda confussed..
Is anyone here developing his own themes for Wordpress? If yes what methods do you use?
I would like to know whats your opinion about WP theme frameworks like: rockettheme, themehybrid, redux framework, and whiteboard.
In general i want to begin developing my own theme, but with such plethora of tools i'm not quite sure with which one to stick with, and since i dont have infinite time to check them all i would really apreciate any experienced user who could point me out few things.
Thank you

• aristath

Hello there @Theodor Dimitriou, I hope you're well today!

I develop themes... and I've tried all of the frameworks you mentioned above.
    If you reaaaally really need an options framework that will be on the WordPress admin, then I would advise you to use Redux.
    However, most times you don't even need an options framework and you can use the WordPress customizer!
    The only issue with the customizer is that it doesn't have many control types (like the other frameworks do), but to that end there's the Kirki Customizer that extends the default WordPress customizer and adds some more controls. More details on that can be found here: http://kirki.org/ (if you plan on using it then I would advise you to use the latest version from github: https://github.com/aristath/kirki )

You could start with underscores that has a pretty awesome codebase and is developed by automattic, and then use Kirki to add your options.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Theodor Dimitriou

Thank you very much Ari,
    I'm glad to see you here in WPMUDEV again after 2 years from the last time we spoke.
    Im checking the information you gave me now and have a question. Customizer is a theme and also underscores is a theme. how to combine these two..? or what didnt i understood right?
    One more question, is there any WYSIWING tool that lets you create the design (select colors, add graphics, bg,) visually or im searching in vein?
    Note: im looking for open source solutions, not any framework that wants 100's of $ to buy it in order to work with it.
    One more question, do you know the Divine Elemente Photoshop plugin? Although its very promising and does what is says, i dont see anywhere anything that would allow me to use a different Page layout than the one they use as their main pattern. I'm interested into making a Parallax theme, a One page theme, and a theme to be used in blogs (portal alike).
    Could you give me any more advices or directions?
    Thank you very much,
    Best regards

• Tyler Postle

Hey Theodor,

Hope you're doing well today! Apologies for such a delay.

Customizer is a theme and also underscores is a theme. how to combine these two..?

Underscores is a framework that you can use to build a theme on. The WP Customizer is the theme customizer you will find via:

Appearances > Customize. from your dashboard :slight_smile: Then Ari's Kirki plugin expands the capabilities of the customizer, very cool!

is there any WYSIWING tool that lets you create the design (select colors, add graphics, bg,) visually or im searching in vein?

While I don't know of any open source visual editors. We do have our brand new Upfront framework themes that are totally frontend drag and drop :slight_smile: color pickers and all that simple goodness. You could do a one-page theme quite easily with it too.

Let us know if you have any further quesitons!

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.