theme not working after activating multisite

at http://www.mreant.com/tww I have set up a wordpress multisite, so that I can have users sign up and have an option like this:

http://mreant.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/signupMOCKUP.jpg

I have done everything in terms of setting it up, the only thing i did differently was that i used sub directories and not sub domains. everything seems to work fine until i get to creating a new site and selecting it’s theme. it works when i create a new site, but the theme is set to twenty eleven. when i change it to my custom theme, it breaks the new site. giving me this error message:

http://i50.tinypic.com/35lhp2q.jpg

it only gives me the error message when i have my custom theme installed. it’s a buddypress multisite i’m trying to create. the theme is specifically designed for buddypress…i’m not sure if that makes any difference or not. but i can’t seem to figure it out regardless…

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Hi gollumxcore!

I have looked your post over 2x. I am sorry but i do not see what theme you are referring too!

I see you refer to changing from twenty-eleven theme. The twenty-eleven theme is not BP compatible. So what theme is it you changed too!

Thanks gollumxcore!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

bp_site_name is of course a BuddyPress function, your error is saying that is undefined which means it hasn’t been declared.

This is usually when BuddyPress isn’t installed.

I guess your theme is calling this on the subsite but it isn’t available.

You would need to check the code. Is it one of our plugins or is the child all yours?

Take care.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey all.

ThemeForest does seem to be a popular choice for themes theses days.

BuddyPress is a network plugin, so it only gets activated on the network level. It wouldn’t be available to sub sites.

Its hard because I don’t know this theme but I guess it is developed to only work in a BuddyPress enabled site.

Try popping this in your wp-config.php:

define ( 'BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG', true );

This will enable BuddyPress on all of your sites. Here is the catch though, you need BuddyPress themes on all of your sites other wise you’ll get the “Create pages warning” I believe.

Another option would be to edit the code, so a check is done to be sure the function exists, like so:

if (function_exists('bp_site_name')) {
    echo "<title>" . bp_site_name() . "</title>"
    } else {
    echo "<title>" . get_bloginfo( 'name' ) . "</title>"
    }

Its hard to know for sure though without knowing the theme. Your best bet might be asking the developer to support non-BuddyPress as well so that it can be used regardless.

Hope this helps.

• gollumxcore
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

ive done some research…and google searches show some people saying that buddypress and multisite aren’t even compatible…or something along those lines. is this the case? I was told by Gina, in the other thread (this one: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/multiple-user-types-and#post-252395) the opposite, that using buddypress and wordpress together is totally doable. Just trying to get this figured out and move forward somehow…thanks so much for the continued help everyone :slight_smile:

• gollumxcore
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

great! too bad i missed Gina already, either way I’ll try to catch Joe at 4PM EST. if anyone else has any ideas though, it would be a great help. my client is waiting on me to show him an update and i’m a bit stuck at this point…

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

i tried adding the code to my wp-config file…it didn’t seem to change anything.

It doesn’t work like that.

The code example was what you will need to do within your theme. It seems the theme needs more work to make it function on sub sites properly.

ive done some research…and google searches show some people saying that buddypress and multisite aren’t even compatible…or something along those lines. is this the case?

Not sure where you are reading that, but I can assure you it works. I have it installed on my multisite installs and use it myself.

I suspect you read something about it working on each sub site independently.

You will need to either code changes yourself, ask the original developer or hire one to do the work for you. Updating would be harder in the future.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.