Themepack themes are crippled?

Just had a client activate the DeepBlue theme (from the Themepack I think?). When you go to the options page, it is basically a sell up page. (See image.)

Questions:

(1) How many of the themes offered through wpmudev are offered with disabled features and requests to upgrade? (I probably want to remove them to avoid confusion. They think *I* am charging them more.)

(2) If the client were to go through the process to upgrade, would they be able to use the paid version of the theme? (Do they have to upload the theme or is it just unlocked on their own site?)

(3) If they were to purchase the "access all themes" package offered (see the image below), could they even use it on their multisite subdomain?

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi ProSapien

Thank you for your post. I was quite puzzled by your post, because I know that those are all free themes that comes as a themepack. So I went ahead and installed the Deep Blue Theme and it showed that there is an upgrade available for it. Before the upgrade it looked like Image 1 & 2.

Then I went ahead and upgraded the theme and found exactly the same thing as you. When I clicked on the link it even took me to a site not at all related to us. However, I wanted to see if anyone else inquired about this and found this thread.

Farms 133 theme pack - Update?

So it seems that the Deep Blue theme should not be upgraded.

I will follow up with the Developer and Lead Support how this type of thing can be avoided in the future. I apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced because of this.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

All the best!

Gina

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi ProSapien

I did some checking and found out that you never need to update any of the themes included in our Theme Pack. So first of all, a big apology for not making this clear when you downloaded the Theme Pack. We will add this note to the documentation and will also make sure that the upgrade 'nag' is removed.

Just to quickly explain why you don't need to upgrade any of the themes included in the Theme Pack:

Our developers go through these themes and make sure that they work on Multisites and with avatars etc. Most of the upgraded versions have compatibility issues, whereas we worked through these themes and added in extra standard features, as well as making sure that these are compatible with Multisites. So our versions are in actual fact much better versions and you won't have to hassle with fixing it when installing on a Multisite.

Hope this clarifies things a bit. Let me know if you need any further support. And I hope you can sort out things with your client.

All the best.

Gina

• ProSapien
    • The Crimson Coder

Gina, thanks so much for your input on this. Some questions:

(1) Is it only ThemePack themes that should not be upgraded? Should the other themes offered by WPMUDEV be updated when prompted?

(2) How can I TELL which themes are ThemePack themes that should not be upgraded, as opposed to those that should be (assuming your answer above indicates other themes should be upgraded). Do I have to create a list of all ThemePack themes and then check each prompt against the list? Other?

(3) Is there a way to turn OFF the update prompts for ThemePack themes, so we don't constantly have erroneous indications to update mixed in with those that should be done?

Thanks for your help on this matter.

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi ProSapien

My sincere apologies. For some reason your posts didn't show up on my list of posts and I was also away from work for more than a week recovering from treatment in the hospital.

The Farms 133 Theme Pack should not be upgraded, if prompted to do so. Any of our other themes can be upgraded when prompted.

We are working on a new release of the Farms 133 Theme Pack that would include a fix for the prompts to upgrade that are coming up. Please bear with us while we get this sorted.

Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Have a good day, ProSapien :slight_smile:

Gina

• Aaron
    • CTO

The themepack themes are customized versions of free ones of which many are hosted on the wp repo, so as our version numbers are out of sync with theirs, you'll get notifications.

To solve all your problems, the new version of our Update Notifications/WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin should remove all those false upgrade notices from wp.org and simply tell you when we've released a new version of the theme pack here.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.