Themes - How to tell when a theme was last updated

Hi,
I have a bunch of themes downloaded to my multisite. Some are from WPMU and some are not. I have been having some security issues recently and my host tells me it is is because I have too many old themes. I probably do and I know that the one that I am currently using should probably go. But my question is in choosing a new one and in offering themes for my other sites how do I tell which are the good ones and which should be deleted? Is there a place where it shows when they were last updated. I am aware of the change logs, but how should they properly be used. I know some of the themes that came from WPMU but is there even a way to tell where some of these themes came from? I want to choose a better supported theme this time and keep a smaller array of themes for my users that I know will be looked after. I got a pack of, I think it was 100 themes or something like that, I think it may have been called the farm pack, when I first started here. Is that still being updated? I know some of them were broken when the new version of wordpress came out so I already deleted the broken ones.
Please point me in the right direction. Same with plugins. How do I tell if they are not being supported and becoming a security risk.
Thanks,
Catrina

Ash

Hello @Catrina

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

The update information is shown in the changelog and you are already aware of it. The farms pack theme is pretty old and they are already marked as legacy themes, there won't be any update of those themes.

For the themes out side of WPMU, I can't confirm. It depends on the company, though most of the companies shows the changelog with date, and also they provide an option to download older version of the theme as well.

We have recently released three new themes with extensive options based on upfront framework. You may try those too

Except the farm packs, all other themes work fine with current version of wordpress, but those are marked as legacy as well.

Hope it helps Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

Catrina

Hi Ash,
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
    I am aware of the change logs, and I know I have seen them in the past but where exactly are they found? How do I see the change log? Is this the easiest way to decide if a theme is okay to keep. It seems that this person from my host was able to look at my themes and tell that they were old. What do you think she was looking at to make this assumption?
    I am looking in the theme editor and I see that some of the themes list the author and a last update date in the style sheet, but they don't necessarily say where they came from. Any other suggestions on where to get this information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Cathy

Ash

Hello @Catrina

Is this the easiest way to decide if a theme is okay to keep. It seems that this person from my host was able to look at my themes and tell that they were old. What do you think she was looking at to make this assumption?

The only way is to check the changelog. Most of the companies show the release date of each version. If you don't know who is the developer of a theme, you may search in google with the theme name and there are possibilities to get the original company of the theme.

I see that some of the themes list the author and a last update date in the style sheet, but they don't necessarily say where they came from.

Adding release dates in theme or plugin is definitely a good practice, but sometimes it's not possible to add the date (or they forget) when they deal with lots of products.

And yes, adding the parent company name in a theme is not mandatory, so some people write and some don't.

In my opinion, you can just search with the theme name like "WordPress theme themename" and you can get the vendor. There is no easy way if the information is not provided

Cheers
    Ash