Themes that have built in features

I hear about be careful with the number of plugins you install but was wondering about the Themes. I plan to offer themes by WPMUdev, iThemes, Allure and Elegant Themes. However a good number of those themes offer built in features such as events, forum, shopping enabled, buddypress features to name a few. Should there be a concern with theme conflicts on the whole multiste?

• Ciprian Gherghescu
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@janlfox

Hi,

Thank you for asking. Yes, it is possible to have situations like that, in my opinion, but only if there are conflicting features in the respective theme. Then the user must deactivate either the plugin that is causing the conflict or use a different theme.

Hope this helps.

• Jan
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thank you @Ciprian Gherghescu!

I thought so, just wanted to be sure. I'm trying to cut down on the number of plugins used. So am trying to offer premium themes which some have built in features so figured they have additional scripts running other than what twenty twelve does. I think I may cut the themes that have the extra features built in toward my goal to prevent code conflicts.

Thanks for your help.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @janlfox

I hope you are well today.

You may have some conflicts, but if you did you can disable the theme and I personally think your users would appreciated a bigger choice of themes rather than cutting for fear of a conflict that may not arise. One way to test for these conflicts would be to set up a site on your network with the plugins activated, that you believe your users would use. Then, activate the theme, go to the front-end, check the features work as expected, i.e shopping carts, events etc, then check the admin side works and last but by no means least check your error logs and if all is well, move onto the next theme and repeat the process :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jan
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Jack, I appreciate the feedback. I want to have a large selection of themes but want to limit the risk of conflict. So may remove some of the themes that will fit better on a themed multisite install which I plan on building in the future. This first one will be more generic for general business and then I will build specialty multisites with plugins geared toward that business type. I had way too many plugins and had to finally decide on the general business types and hold off on the others, believe I will do the same with the themes also.

Thanks again for you feedback! :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.