Theming SBE double opt-in content

SBE supports double opt-in. When you use this, subscribers will experience the following interactions from the plugin:

1. Sends a confirmation email to the subscriber
2. After clicking to confirm, takes the subscriber to a confirmation page on your site (provided by the plugin)
3. When unsubscribing from within an email, they're taken to an unsubscribe confirmation page

Unfortunately, all these interactions are fairly ugly grey experiences for the user.

Can these three elements of SBE be themed please? If so, where/how can I do that?

Thanks as always for your excellent support! ????

• Nithin

Hi itsnotrocketsurgery,

Hope you are doing good today.

Can these three elements of SBE be themed please? If so, where/how can I do that?

Could you please explain further on what exact changes are you looking when it comes to unsubscribe, and confirmation page, if it's related to style it would require custom CSS. If you are looking for custom CSS what exact changes are you looking for? Could you please advise.

The plugins only offers option to override template files, ie you can move the template file /wp-content/plugins/subscribe-by-email/inc/mail-templates/views/ to /wp-content/themes/your-theme-folder/subscribe-by-email/.

Once done, you can override the template files according to your design. You can also customize the preview of your email template under Subscriptions > Settings > Mail Template >
    Preview

Other than these options, I'm afraid there isn't any out of the box settings to customize the way the plugin works. It would require custom CSS, and editing the plugin code.

Please do let us know what exact changes you are looking for, so that we could have a better idea regarding this. Have a nice day.

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello itsnotrocketsurgery,

I've customised the email template which changes the emails that are sent from the system, but I don't think this alters the unsubscribe email.

Sorry for the addtional question but which unsubscribe email you want to customize. Subscribe by Email does not send unsubscribe emails - it sends email to confirm subscription, for new posts and then when you unsubscribe there is only page for that, mail after that is not send.
    Or maybe you meant confirmation email?
    That email is in /wp-content/plugins/subscribe-by-email/inc/mail-templates/confirmation-mail-template.php file so it would need be changed in plugin.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• itsnotrocketsurgery

Hi Kasia,

Ok, I've managed to theme the subscription confirmation email nicely, but it would be great if I didn't have to edit the plugin core files to achieve this. Can I request an enhancement to the plugin somewhere to allow this email to be themed like the other email for the plugin?

Also, I see from having a look at the two site pages mentioned (subscription confirmation page and unsubscribe confirmation page) that these are just regular WordPress error pages with a message added by the plugin.

How much customisation could be done with these? I'd really rather the message could be added to a regular page on the site (specified in the plugin) using a shortcode or something. This would need to be another enhancement to the plugin though of course.

At this stage, how can a regular WordPress error page be branded to look like my sites theme? There are lots of plugins to do this for HTTP error pages like 404, 403 etc. but not for the normal errors.

Thanks!

• Nithin

Hi itsnotrocketsurgery,

Hope you are doing good today.

Can I request an enhancement to the plugin somewhere to allow this email to be themed like the other email for the plugin?

At the moment, there isn't any out of the box settings available in the plugin. Would recommend you to create a feature request with all the enchantments you need for this plugin. The more members who supports your feature request, the more it'll be considered for development.

You can follow this link to create a feature request:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

How much customisation could be done with these? I'd really rather the message could be added to a regular page on the site (specified in the plugin) using a shortcode or something. This would need to be another enhancement to the plugin though of course.

You can also include this in the feature request, it isn't an error page, it's the default template offered by the plugin. To make changes, it would require editing the plugin files, at the moment it just uses the basic markup. To start with, you can make the changes to it, editing the line from 450 on wards to line 464, for the file subscribe-by-email.php, located under /wp-content/plugins/subscribe-by-email/subscribe-by-email.php

Editing the mentioned markup with your own design, should help customize the unsubscribe, and confirm pages.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day ahead.

Best Regards,
    Nithin