there, I am trying to understand how to offer my

Hi there,

I am trying to understand how to offer my "sub-sites" templates they can choose from.

After reading the Blog Templates Instructions, I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to set up an entire "FAKE BLOG" install, per template I want to offer?

2. How can I let the FREE access sites choose from different templates? And also let them SEE the premium upgrade themes.

The documentation is again, a little confusing.

What I want, is the ability to offer about 25 templates to my users, but I don't care about having any "fake content" per site, being that all of my themes have one button install, and are MutiSite compatible.

So can somebody point me in the direction on how to do this?

I don't know if New Blog Templates is what I need, unless that is the ONLY way to do this.

Again, I mainly just want t a way to offer a few FREE themes to FREE Accounts, and let the FREE users see the premium upgraded themes and plugins in their dashboard. Currently I can't see neither , themes or plugins, on my SAMPLE installs dashboard.

And again, the fact that the themes I want to offer, are "push button" demo launched, I dont' really want to set up 25 different "fake" blogs to accomplish this.

Does this make sense?

I simply want to upload themes, and let users choose what they want, without having to manually set them up myself.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sam

• Vaughan

Hi @sam,

Yes, with new blog templates, each template you have is created from a template site, so if you have 25 different templates, then you would need 25 different template sites.

If you want users to choose premium themes and so on, you would need to also use the pro-sites plugin then enable the premium themes modules, this works well with new blog templates plugin too. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/

You can also use the multisite themes manager plugin which will display them better in your users dashboard area, and with the pro-sites plugin, if the theme is a premium theme it will display a message saying 'Pro theme' & ask users to upgrade to be able to activate that theme.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multisite-theme-manager/

But with new blog templates, the only way of choosing different theme templates is by creating a site for each template.

Hope this helps

• Sam

To follow up to Michael's response I got on another thread . . . I am still confused on WHAT each of the three theme plugins actually do.

I get the Network Activate goes to entire Network? Because I've seen it. But I was trying to figure out, how to show all templates, to all users, and put a "upgrade" button next to the premium ones. I can see that it is working for the "premium plugin" module, but there is not a "Premium Theme" menu, which I thought would be right next to it. So why that isn't working, I don't know.

I also have different Levels of users, so are the lower levels NOT able to see the templates from the dashboard?? Again, allowing them to Upgrade to the better template if they want to? Or is it only seen by the users on that appropriate level?

Finally, How do I offer "template options" at sign up??

Do I have to set up the New Blog Template deal in order to do that?? If so, does that mean I have to create 25 FAKE sub-sites for each theme that I want to offer at sign up?? If so, probably not worth it, and I will probably just move over to ManageWP and offer the set up as part of the service.

Again, sorry for all the questions, but still confused and almost ready to give up on MultiSite approach. Doesn't really seem worth the time.

Thanks,

Sam

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Sam,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your patience on this.

For premium themes you'd need to use Pro sites https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/ and activate the premium theme module in network admin > pro sites > modules/gateways.

Any theme that is non network activated will be available for selection as a premium theme.

I also have different Levels of users, so are the lower levels NOT able to see the templates from the dashboard?? Again, allowing them to Upgrade to the better template if they want to? Or is it only seen by the users on that appropriate level?

The users on the lower levels should be able to see the theme from appearance > themes in their wp-admin dashboard, they can't see the templates, the templates are only for selection at signup.

Finally, How do I offer "template options" at sign up??

Go to network admin > blog templates > settings and check "show templates at signup".

Do I have to set up the New Blog Template deal in order to do that?? If so, does that mean I have to create 25 FAKE sub-sites for each theme that I want to offer at sign up?? If so, probably not worth it, and I will probably just move over to ManageWP and offer the set up as part of the service.

You would I'm afraid, each theme would need it's own sub site to be able to offer that as a template on signup.

If we can help at all please don't hesitate to ask. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Sam

Is there any better documentation on setting up blog templates? I can't seem to find much, and it's pretty weak. I am wanting to set up templates upon sign up, and for some reason, it won't take.

Do I have to upload the theme first, use the name as the "template" name, or do I write the path to the theme? If so, where is that (PATH) found.

Again, just a little scattered on the documentation.

Thanks,

Sam

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Sam,

Hope you're well today, currently the only documentation on new blog templates is here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/#usage

First you need to create your sites as you want. You then add a new blog template via your network admin > blog templates > add new, name it anything you want and select what you want to copy.

You should then see it for selection on wp-signup.php, could you post a screenshot of what you currently have there? :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Sam

I don't have anything there. It's blank.

I tried starting one, but don't get the "blog ID" or "URL" part. That is why I was asking, do I have to create a DEMO, on a sub-site, and use that URL?

This is where I am confused. Do you have a screencast on this?

I finally, get how to offer premium and non premium themes . . . but that leads me to another question . . . in the THEME area, where is says "preview", when I click on it, it's a blank template. So back again to the same question . . . Do I need to build DEMOs for all themes I want to use?

Sam

• Sam

Jack,

Go ahead. I have granted you access. Let me know when you are done.

The main thing I am trying to understand, is whether or not I have to set up, a "fake site" for each demo, under blog templates. And again, what is the blog ID or URL under the Blog Template set up. That is not explained very well.

Again, I would love "more structured" documentation for setting up a Multsite network. That's just my client feedback for WPMUdev. It just seems to be very cluttered together currently.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Sam,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

Right I've taken a look and can see no blog templates are currently setup.

You must setup a fake site for the demo site. Each demo needs it's own fake site.

The Blog ID can be found by going to your network admin > sites, hover over the site path and look at the URL, you see it has at the end id=2 for example, where 2 is the blog ID.

You can also create a blog template using the blog path, that way you only need to enter /blogname for example.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Sam,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

Yes, you need demo site per theme, if you want to show the user a demo on the front-end.

Also, does the demo I set up in Blog Templates, reflect the "pre loaded" content upon sign up?? Meaning, if a sub-site owner chooses a template, will that template be set up like demo? (pre-loaded) . . . or would they have to go in and set it up themselves?

They get the site pre-loaded with the content from the template (plugins, themes, settings, pages and posts).

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.