there I am using the membership plug-in. I used to have

Hi there

I am using the membership plug-in.

I used to have a page that showed the membership..but it appears to have disappeared.

I have a members page but it is not showing up there.

Is this something I have to link to my members page?

Why would it disappear? Where did it go? How do I get it back. I know it was there and I didn't remove it.

As a general comment...It seems very random ... Some pages are created by plug-ins and you can't find them in the pages list...so where are they? why doesn't the pages list show ALL pages, not just the ones you create.

Help thanks.

• PC

Hey there Karen,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Can you kindly provide a screenshot of the here >>

Membership >> Options >> Membership Pages ?

As a general comment...It seems very random ... Some pages are created by plug-ins and you can't find them in the pages list...so where are they? why doesn't the pages list show ALL pages, not just the ones you create.

There are a few pages which are created by the plugins in run time so they are not visible under Pages >> All pages.

Kindly advise with the screenshot so that I can get that sorted out for you.

Cheers, PC

• Karen

PC
    Apologies for the duplicate question - using ipad and it wasn't clear I had posted it.

Thanks for the info re auto-generated pages....

Here is an example of when it becomes confusing:

I have an Activity (not Accounts) page under my Members tab (under PAO Community).
    Activity is an auto-generated page.
    Do I need to create the Account and Subscriptions pages manually? If so, do they need to be public or should they be hidden?

Thanks again.

• Karen

PC

I am on that page I copied a screenshot for you.

Here is what is happening:

Within WP Membership dashboard - on that page you requested a copy of (above) - the Register page is the one the registration form is allocated to...

(a) if I View Page it takes me to About Us
    (b) Yet checking it via my ipad (not logged in as me) it shows me the registration page.
    (c) BUT If I view it as a Visitor from the WP Dashboard it also takes me to About Us and NOT a registration form.

Looking at page 14 of the Membership manual it mentions a code to have in the registration page ie

"Registration Page
    Decide which page in our WordPress site we will use for the registration page where users can grab a subscription. If the page does not exist in the drop down then click on the button Create Page button (Clicking this multiple times will create multiple pages).
    If you want to add the subscription signup form to other pages, you can use the
    following shortcode:
    [subscriptionform]"

I clicked to Edit the Register page and I can't see a [subscriptionform] code - yet it is showing up as a registration form on the Register page when I am not logged in as me (ie via iPad as if I am a visitor) but not when I View Page from within WP dashboard (ie that Membership/Options page)..

Is the [subscriptionform] text hidden somehow (I have to say that some of the plug-ins actually tell you that "this page is an autogenerated page" so you (a) can see it and (b) can see what is on it.

Having pages hidden is not useful!

There should be a list of them - greyed out or something just to show they are there.

..further down (Page 15 of that doc) it then confuses matters further by saying:

"Note: If you are using BuddyPress then you will have two signup forms here, you
    might not want to use the BuddyPress registration page if you are charging a
    premium or wanting your users to be on a specific plan (even free)."

As Buddypress Fun is a buddypress theme - do I now have 2 signup forms to contend with??????

Thanks for any clarification on this.

• Karen

PC

I am not sure if I add this here...but I followed the instructions on page 15 of the Membership Manual which says:
    "You can also add “Subscribe” buttons anywhere you like on your site to encourage your users to
    subscribe to your plans.
    Adding the buttons is easy with the following shortcodes:
    [subscriptiontitle subscription="2"]
    [subscriptiondetails subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionprice subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionbutton subscription="2"]

I have created a number of buttons (there is a horrible blue that you can't read the text on top of it (which would be better as white text so you can read it) as you can see on the page:
    http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress/2013/12/11/subscribe-for-regular-updates/

BUT the buttons do NOT take you to the Subscriptions page - it just takes you to the About Us page (again, as per above).

FYI.

• PC

Hello Karen,

.docx is not supported as an extension you can upload on the forums. If you want to send them you can use .pdf

However, from what I read above, I see that you might have set it up incorrectly. The plugin can auto generated the default pages as required and they should be set public so that a new member can signup on your site etc.

If you want I can look at the settings closely as you are not able to send the screenshot.

Can you please send me your login details via our secure contact form

1: Mark the email to my attention

Attn: PC

2: Include a link of this thread in the email

3: Include FTP and WordPress super admin details.

4: While filling the form, select "I have a different question" from the list.

5: Include a bit of info on how you want it setup.

Looking forward for a response on this.

Cheers, PC

• Karen

PC

Sorry for the delay - here are the current screenshots.

I am also sending you the details to log in via that contact form.

Basically I am lost.

I have also tried to work things out as much as I can so I'd appreciate some help with working out what is going wrong.

I am now wondering re buddypress and membership - should i post another question? How do they work together? I need paid and open areas.

• Karen

PC

What I want to happen overall is:

1. People can Create an Account (using the Register page) and then access their information via the Account page later on for any changes.
    2. People can Subscribe to various Subscriptions (using Subscriptions page) - I am presuming they need an Account to be able to subscribe? (should their new details then be on their Account page so all their own info is in the one place??)

The Membership Manual tells you to
    Looking at page 14 of the Membership manual it mentions a code to have in the registration page ie

"Registration Page
    Decide which page in our WordPress site we will use for the registration page where users can grab a subscription. If the page does not exist in the drop down then click on the button Create Page button (Clicking this multiple times will create multiple pages).
    If you want to add the subscription signup form to other pages, you can use the
    following shortcode: [subscriptionform]"

[NOTE This implies that a subscription list should appear on the register page - it doesn't.]

The Membership Plug-In (Options/Membership Pages)
    "You can include an introduction on the page, for more advanced content around the registration form then you should include the [subscriptionform] shortcode in some location on that page. Alternatively leave the page blank for the standard Membership subscription forms"

***I left it blank - BUT NO SUBSCRIPTION FORM APPEARS ON IT.

Subscriptions :
    "This is the page a user will be redirected to when they want to view their subscription details and upgrade / renew them.
    It can be left blank to use the standard Membership interface, otherwise it can contain any content you want but should contain the [renewform] shortcode in some location.

***OK so this page is only for RENEWALS????

Where do the SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS GO THEN?????
    They are not appearing on the Register page (like it says it will above) and it isn't appearing on the Subscription Form (as that is for renewals only).

PS I subscribed to all subscription levels from my post (Subscribe for Regular Updates at http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress/about-us/our-blog/ which is the only spot that has buttons as I used the code from the manual) and you get the message saying you have subscribed, BUT when I log in it tells me under Your Subscriptions (on the Subscriptions Page) that I have no subscriptions.

(PS I just recently added [subscriptionform] to the [renewform] that was already on the Subscriptions page - now I just have two lists of subscriptions (still no buttons) and [renewform] is headed Your Subscriptions and [subscriptionform] is headed Select a Subscription.

*****I am not sure if this is related or not but here goes*****
    Questions:
    1. Logged out but on the site, I can see Members and Groups but Activity requires a sign up! - odd.
    2. Logged in - I can see all - Members, Activity and Groups.

What should a Logged-out person see regarding Members, Activity and Groups????? None, some, all????

• Karen

Any suggestions re the above?

Having gone back and listened VERY closely to the audio on the membership YouTube videos, I can see how confusion is arising:

1. There is the Membership plugin; and the Access levels and the Subscriptions.

Sounds easy? ...it is - until the narrator starts mixing up the terms along the way - AND the screens also use different terminology.

Here is what actually happens:

1.1 Membership Plug-in - this is ok - no other terminology used.
    1.2 Access Levels - aka Membership levels (so this is where it starts to get confusing/messy) - aka Membership Levels within the plugin (ie table row header title)
    1.3 Subscriptions - aka Memberships

The lack of unique terminology is causing the confusion.

I rewound and re-listened to each segment to hear EXACTLY what the narrator was saying and what was shown on the screen.

It is confusing because (a) the terminology is used very loosely (b) the same "membership" term is used for all three areas (c) words like "Access level" and "Membership Level" are used interchangably.

If you use unique terminology for different areas/functions it would help enormously. - that is the verbal term AND the written terminology needs to be consistent as well.

Hope that helps. (I will post this under General question as well).

• PC

Hey there Karen,

First of all, we will take the subscription buttons not appearing issue on your subscriptions page.

I checked your subscription plans and see that you have not added any access levels to your subscription plans.

If a subscription plan does not have an access level added, the signup button will not be there.

To see the difference, compare your "Course #1 - Monthly Sessions" with "Member Subscription - Gold" and you will see the difference.

Please advise if that helps fix the first issue. We will then move on to the next issue you have.

Cheers, PC

• Karen

PC

I have just added a URL and added it to an access level and then added that to a Subscription - the buttons STILL DON"T SHOW on my renew Subscriptions Page.

Hopefully someone can sort it out for me.

Jack is also looking at the Membership - it is fighting with the BuddyPress plugin (both have about 3 pages named THE EXACT same thing eg Registration, Activate and one other.

To say it it beyond confusing this plug in - is NOT an understatement.

Who designed this thing???? Could they PLEASE explain the rationale behind it. There are TOO many of us (and I may be the only idiot standing still trying to use it) who are puzzled and confused by something that should be explained very simply with examples. Thanks for sending to the team but WHEN will it be ready???

• Karen

PC

There is an issue with what shows up onscreen when you are logged in as an ADMIN person versus NOT LOGGED IN.

On the Subscriptions page (Not logged in) - I can see the buttons.
    On the Subscriptions page (logged in) - the buttons WERE NOT showing - but now are (so long as I have an access level selected for the subscription level as you noted).
    BUT on the My Subscriptions page (logged in) - the buttons ARE NOT showing. It tells me I can upgrade...but there are no buttons to select.

FYI - hopefully it can be fixed ...or explained why they are not showing.

FYI. It appears to be a glitch.

• PC

Hello there Karen,

Sorry for missing out this one.

I have just added a URL and added it to an access level and then added that to a Subscription - the buttons STILL DON"T SHOW on my renew Subscriptions Page.

I see that under Membership >> Options >> Configuration page the "Upgrades period limit" is set to 2 days. So a member if is assigned to a subscription plan would not be able to upgrade/downgrade before 2 days. So you can set that to 0 if you want the renewal buttons to be available on the subscriptions page.

Jack is also looking at the Membership - it is fighting with the BuddyPress plugin (both have about 3 pages named THE EXACT same thing eg Registration, Activate and one other.

Yeah, he discussed that with me and there was some confusion which he posted on about, I will also followup on that shortly.

Who designed this thing???? Could they PLEASE explain the rationale behind it. There are TOO many of us (and I may be the only idiot standing still trying to use it) who are puzzled and confused by something that should be explained very simply with examples. Thanks for sending to the team but WHEN will it be ready???

Our lead developer @Eugene Manuilov is currently working on making this plugin easier to use and has added a lot of new options and simplified the older ones and still working on it to make it even better. As far as examples are concerned, there can be many usage cases due to that only general explanation is provided in the manuals. For else we will help you set it up :slight_smile:

On the Subscriptions page (Not logged in) - I can see the buttons.
    On the Subscriptions page (logged in) - the buttons WERE NOT showing - but now are (so long as I have an access level selected for the subscription level as you noted).
    BUT on the My Subscriptions page (logged in) - the buttons ARE NOT showing. It tells me I can upgrade...but there are no buttons to select.

I hope the above explanation helps. The upgrade limit is causing them not to appear.

That would fix it. Can you please advise if that does or does not work ?

Cheers, PC

• Karen

PC

I just found this post.

I have just done as suggested ie:

I see that under Membership >> Options >> Configuration page the "Upgrades period limit" is set to 2 days. So a member if is assigned to a subscription plan would not be able to upgrade/downgrade before 2 days. So you can set that to 0 if you want the renewal buttons to be available on the subscriptions page.

.and put it to zero and it allowed the buttons to show on the renew page AND ( surprisingly) also fixed the weird formatting issue that only the renew page had. You might want a developer to check that out. Thanks!!

• PC

put it to zero and it allowed the buttons to show on the renew page AND ( surprisingly) also fixed the weird formatting issue that only the renew page had

Glad to see its sorted. I have also informed @Eugene Manuilov about this weird issue. Perhaps as the button is not visible, it breaks the formatting. I also see this on my lab site as I replicated it as per your site.

Any progress on the confusion between BuddyPress and membership having three pages named the exact same thing and having the exact same URL?

BuddyPress as Register and Account pages as default and so does Membership. However, membership pages and buddypress both allow you to Create a page, name it whatever you want and then select it in the settings.

I will still pass on the feedback to see if the BuddyPress integration can be made more easier to avoid this confusion totally.

@Eugene Manuilov should be around sooner than later.

Cheers, PC

• Karen

PC

One down...100 to go!

regarding :

Any progress on the confusion between BuddyPress and membership having three pages named the exact same thing and having the exact same URL?

BuddyPress as Register and Account pages as default and so does Membership. However, membership pages and buddypress both allow you to Create a page, name it whatever you want and then select it in the settings.

That is exactly what I have done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BP Register page is called "Sign up for our PAO Community" and is a tab. (Are these meant to be VISIBLE or just CALLED something different to the M Register page???) It is a page that is VISIBLE on our site (and thus usable.) - This means (without any changes - you end up with TWO REGISTER PAGES!!! both VISIBLE.)

BP Activate page is "Activate Your Membership" (This is how I have been working out what pages my testers are seeing so I can tell what page/signup process is generating which pages/messages.)

M Register page is called "Subscriptions" and is a tab on our site ie a VISIBLE page (so you now have TWO ways to get to the Create an Account page - Subscriptions AND the "Sign up to..."/BP page as noted above)
    M Activate page is "Activate" (NOT VISIBLE).
    - The Membership Register page has [subscriptionform] on it.
    - The Membership Activate page is HIDDEN - they do not come up in Pages as they are created on the fly.

The problem is that - in my case - :

BP is calling the activate page:
    http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress/activate
    AND THIS IS THE EXACT SAME URL THAT THE MEMBERSHIP IS USING!!!!!

I then amended the BP one to .../activate-1 (not the "-1") ...and the activation message from "Sign up to our PAO Community" uses the activate-1 in the message so I know it is coming from the BP register page...BUT THE LINK IN THE EMAIL TAKES YOU TO A PAGE CALLED "Activate your Account" (/activate-1) but THERE IS NOTHING ON THE PAGE. (hopefully that is clear!)

FYI I had BP as an Access level (as advised to do) within FREE Membership.

As noted. when people signed up via Sign Up for Our PAO Community (the BP page) they get an email saying click this link to Activate your Account and the page they are sent to HAS NO INFO or way to activate the account

Try this link and you will see what I mean:

Thanks for registering! To complete the activation of your account please click the following link:

http://www.publicaffairsrecruitment.com.au/wordpress/pao-community/members/activate-1/?key=63bf5191da4b56af18e7086d1956302e

To summarise:
    1. Are the BP pages (which you give a different name to) supposed to be VISIBLE or not. Do you just give them a DIFFERENT name to the Membership pages to get them out of the way??? This however does not solve the problem as I am experiencing. It just seems to lead to a buddypress account creation process that loops and gets you to a dead end (ie Your Account CANNOT be activated as there is nothing on the Activate Your Account page to allow you to do that.

2. If you ignore the BP signup page and only use the Membership Subscription process ;it WORKS, but (a) what do you do with the BP signup page called "Sign up to our PAO Community"? hide it? and (b) how can you have a page that uses the Subscription page (M page) AND clearly indicates to users that is a sign up page - not just looks like you are taking out one of any number of Memberships. (None of my 10 testers went to Subscriptions to sign up - they all took the normal route of "Sign up for PAO Community" tab which takes you straight to a Create an Account (but unfortunately you end up in the loop that doesn't allow you to activate your new account. You are also then locked out from getting in to the site unless and until you activate your account, which of course you will NEVER be able to do as there is NO information or link on the Activate your Account page to do that. (Is that manic loop of non-logic clear?)

STRONG SUGGESTION:
    The sign up process (ie Create an Account) should come BEFORE taking out a Membership to make sense when you are using a site with BuddyPress AND Membership. That would solve things.

PS It is not just "causing confusion" it is actually NOT WORKING!

• Karen

Another test

I have just deactivated the Membership plug in to try and see if the BP signup will send an email with an activation link and see if it goes to a page called Activate which actually has something in it.

I signed up with a new login - and I AM NOT GETTING AN ACTIVATION email from the system.

Why not? BP pages are all set up - shouldn't it give an activation email to someone creating an account via the normal BP signup process.

Is the deactivated Membership still affecting the BP functions when it is deactivated?

If not, how do you get BP to send the Activation email???

Thanks. This is stupid. It should work!

• Karen

PC

I think in the end - as my setup was working, strange as it was - we left it at that and the manual being clarified.

I am a tad concerned if an upgrade to either Membership or my BP theme changes things, it might affect my set up, but I will have to deal with that if it happens.

My set-up is:
    Membership: BP is an Access level and you have to sign up to a free membership to access it.
    BP: All the BP pages are created (if you take them out or select None you get an irritating error message that doesn't go away).

So people only have ONE way to sign up (as I removed the BP pages so they DID NOT SHOW and people could not select them; but they are in the background as I didn't want to keep seeing the Error Message to repair BP.)

If there is a cleaner way to do it - someone needs to let me know.

What was NOT working - with the set-up above - and should have been was the BP signup process. When I had the BP register page available, I COULD NOT GET IT TO WORK as it WOULD NOT send an ACTIVATION EMAIL (or to be technically correct, the Activation Email was received - and they could click on the link IN the email BUT it took them to a BLANK Activate page.

(I was told that the clicking on the link IN the email actually caused activation BUT my point there was (a) it didn't work and (b) the Activate page should then be called Activated page - but that wasn't occuring. It confused all my testers - so in the end taking the BP process OUT of the equation was the ONLY way to get the Membership signon working as the ONLY way to sign up.

This (below) was what happened when I tested it.

Another test

I have just deactivated the Membership plug in to try and see if the BP signup will send an email with an activation link and see if it goes to a page called Activate which actually has something in it.

I signed up with a new login - and I AM NOT GETTING AN ACTIVATION email from the system.

Why not? BP pages are all set up - shouldn't it give an activation email to someone creating an account via the normal BP signup process.

Is the deactivated Membership still affecting the BP functions when it is deactivated?

If not, how do you get BP to send the Activation email???

If you are able to suggest something else - I can test it when I copy my site again (soon) and see if it works.

I am putting in a lot of work to re-edit my site so I need to know if things have to change soon.

To answer your question, I didn't get an answer to my dilemma as the set-up I came up with works...but I think someone needs to sort this out for the Manual (being rewritten by Patrick Cohen) for other users who have far less time and patience than I do (and I have no time left after the issues with all the plugins).

I would like to know definitively if BP can be made to work alongside Membership - but only if someone actually knows as I kept receiving conflicting advice from different people all along the way before I figured something out for myself and my site - which should NOT be the way your users have to resolve issues.

FYI.

• PC

Hey there Karen,

Thanks for posting back.

I am a tad concerned if an upgrade to either Membership or my BP theme changes things, it might affect my set up, but I will have to deal with that if it happens.

If you have not made any core code modifications, then the updates should not cause anything. However I will advise taking regular backups (especially before any update) to make sure if anything goes wrong, you can roll back.

So people only have ONE way to sign up (as I removed the BP pages so they DID NOT SHOW and people could not select them; but they are in the background as I didn't want to keep seeing the Error Message to repair BP.)

If there is a cleaner way to do it - someone needs to let me know.

If you have not selected any bp page, the error message would be there but as long as its in the backend, that should not cause any issues to the user experience on your site.

If you still want the BP pages to be there and want members to not being able to access them, then you can restrict them in the access level settings.

Its always advisable not to use 2 separate signup processes on a site. Membership integrates with BuddyPress profile fields for the signup process so if you are not using BP signup process, that is absolutely fine and from what I have personally tested, its the best way.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.