there, I have the plugin Profile Builder

Hi there,

I have the plugin Profile Builder (https://wordpress.org/plugins/profile-builder/) installed and on the registration fields when signing up I have a field that asks you for your first name, the meta name is 'first_name'. I don't know much more.

I have this code here on member-header.php where it displays the users username:

<h2 class="user-nicename"><?php bp_displayed_user_username(); ?></h2>

How would I echo the first name field (first_name) instead?

Kind regards,
Liam

• Tyler Postle

Hey Liam,

Hope you're doing well today!

It becomes more difficult when displaying the first name as there isn't a built in function to do it.

I'm not very familiar with Profile Builder, but it doesn't look like they have any function or shortcode to get profile data.

<h2 class="user-nicename"><?php global $current_user;
          get_currentuserinfo();
    echo  . $current_user->user_firstname . "\n";
    ?></h2>

You can see more info on the function here: https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_currentuserinfo

I'm not sure how that will work with the profile builder - you may want to ask their support area as well if this doesn't work.

Hope this helps! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Liam

I've emailed Profile Builder so hopefully they can help me out.

Okay, another question: I have downloaded your 'Integrated Video Tutorials' plugin. I like the layout from the plugin site, is it possible to instead select videos of my own instead of WordPress tutorials? Part of my site includes exactly that, a training video section.

Also, one more thing.

My team and I are creating a social network using BuddyPress for WP. The site is running the Boss theme by BuddyBoss and using a few of their plugins. As a programmer it is my first time using WordPress and I am growing increasingly frustrated by how difficult it is to complete many small changes. However, with plugins such as yours I am learning that I can truly customize the experience to how I want it to be - I just need to learn how to do so. Do you have any plugins or such that would aid us in allowing to further customize and tailor the experience / site-in-general?

King regards,
    Liam

• Tyler Postle

Hey Liam,

Happy to help further here!

Okay, another question: I have downloaded your 'Integrated Video Tutorials' plugin. I like the layout from the plugin site, is it possible to instead select videos of my own instead of WordPress tutorials? Part of my site includes exactly that, a training video section.

Right now you can only use our own videos as the plugin just uses our API to access our servers and then embed them on your site. There is no way to upload your own videos to our servers at this time. We have been asked for a similar feature in the past though and it's on our requests list :slight_smile:

I think easiest option here would be something along the lines of a Youtube embed then you could use some CSS to position them, if that's what you like. There are also some other good video hosts such as Wistia.

Do you have any plugins or such that would aid us in allowing to further customize and tailor the experience / site-in-general?

We have many plugins that can help customize/tailor a site. Will any of your users have access to the backend?

Our Ultimate Branding plugin is perfect for re-branding the WP dashboard.

A few other good backend plugins to help tailor the look(if it's a multisite) are:

Pretty Plugins and Multisite Theme Manager.

A good one for BuddyPress specifically would be: https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-activity-plus/ - that extends the features of the Activity poster. I'm not sure how it works with the BuddyBoss theme, I'm not too familiar with that one.

Custom sidebars is another good one for tailoring the frontend, choosing which widgets you want to show up where :slight_smile:

Hope that helps! if there are any specific features you were looking for just let us know and we'll see if we can find a solution for ya.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.