404 when creating a new site with cloner (or normal MU method)

Hi there,

I know this is most likely not an issue with Cloner but rather with my new MU setup.

I tried creating a new site and it returned a 404 (created the site via cloner) when accesing it. I noticed the subdomain did not exist so created it manually (as it's one of the options if you don't want to fiddle with wild cards) through CPanel, tried creating the site again and the subdomain is there but no new files are within the folder and therefor still comes up with a 404, any help would be much appreciate.

Thanks!

Tyler Postle

Hey Luciel,

Hope you're doing well today and welcome to the WPMU DEV Community!

It's likely that the new subdomain isn't pointed to the right folder, you will actually want the subdomain to be pointed to the root of your install, in most cases that is /public_html/

Then it should work you should be able to edit your subdomain in cPanel to change that.

With that said, I do strongly recommend creating a wildcard as it makes the whole site creation process much more streamlined and adding a wildcard subdomain is just as easy as adding a subdomain. I'll take a screenshot of the one I have. All you need to do is add an asterisk where you would normally put the subdomain name and then point it towards the root of your install. My screenshot should make that more clear.

The root of your install might not be /public_html/ but with most hosting it will be.

If you still need further assistance with this then just let us know and we are more than happy to help further

Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

Luciel Campbell

You know, I've known of WPMU for a couple of years but never registered because of the price, today however I thought, well they do have some great looking plugins, not many themes but I don't mind as I get mine from themeforest, but, I spend a lot of codecanyon and support is always less than... good from most providers there. So I figured I'd pay for one month since I could really use something like the S2 membership plugin and could try out the rest of the plugins for the network I have in mind for pc support clients.

After seeing the detail of your reply and the fact that it worked perfectly (THANKS!) I'd say you have got a new longtime client.

Seriously, thanks, just going through the other support threads and you guys help everyone in an amazingly efficient way, loving this!

Tyler Postle

Muhahah we got you now! I mean... no problem

Seriously though, really glad you decided to sign up and look forward to seeing you around the community, Luciel.

We know themes have always been our weak point(some might say that's an understatement lol); however, we are working on changing that around - we've recently released Upfront, our new theme framework that all of our future themes will be built on: https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/themes/

We have 4 Upfront themes now that you may have seen and have about 3 or 4 currently in development right now too, with many more planned. Upfront is still fairly new for us so expect a lot of improvements in-coming.

Anyways, enjoy the rest of your day!

Cheers,
    Tyler

Luciel Campbell

Really looking forward to see what you come up with themes, specially something "general wordpress use" style, that could be used in many different ways depending on configuration (I don't want to name any on other sites out of respect for you guys) for example I have a couple that can be used as one pages, woocommerce pages, blogs, news site, portfolios, etc depending on what page is used as the home page (ton of demo content to make it easier for the first-time-setup if that makes sense).

But seriously, you guys are awesome, just the eagerness to help even if it's nothing to do with your products, thanks again!

Tyler Postle

Demo content has been a popular request - not just with our themes but our plugins too, so we have started including some samples or add-on's for demo content in our newer projects. Thanks for the suggestions. We're wanting Upfront to be a very universal theme that can be used for most any situation. We're actually working on a theme builder that will be a huge step towards that.

The theme builder will allow you to create your own Upfront child theme. So you setup all the page templates, layout, etc. from within the editor interface, no coding knowledge needed. That's still a little ways off, but it will be awesome

But seriously, you guys are awesome, just the eagerness to help even if it's nothing to do with your products, thanks again!

Most of the staff now were actually members before becoming staff, including myself. That was also one of my favourite parts about the support here when I first became a member being able to ask any WP related questions and not always getting the "that's outside of our support scope" type of response.

Hope you have a good weekend!

Cheers,
    Tyler