there! I would like to let the developer know that Multi-DB

Hi there!

I would like to let the developer know that Multi-DB stripped all content from the non-vip sites to 257 and 167 chars, be it either one.

This contains all posts and page content, each and every one - except for the main blog.

Took me a week to figure out that it happened :stuck_out_tongue:

Luckily only 1 customer page and 3 theme example blogs (with 20 pages of repetitive content) has been affected.

This is a critical bug and I advice everyone with bloated content to back all pages up before continuing on installing Multi-DB until the VARCHAR(256) has been changed into something more practical (I could be wrong here, once again: didn't look into the code).

I do not need further support for this as I don't have to set up Multi-DB again.

I might have to add that I also used define('WP_ALLOW_REPAIR', true); and the tool that you supplied with Multi-DB.

I do also wish to note that in the Multi-DB Usage page the VIP usage isn't well documented, in the way that the content isn't transported with your plugin (this has to be done manually in PhpMyAdmin).

I wish you all a great day!

  • Vinod Dalvi

    Hi Sybre,

    I hope you are well today and thanks for posting on the forum.

    I have notified the plugin developer to get his reply here regarding this.

    He will talk to you more about this by replying on this thread.

    In the meanwhile could you please tell me how you have configured it that reproduced this issue so that i can reproduce it on my test site to troubleshoot it?

    Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a fantastic day!

    Thanks,
    Vinod Dalvi

  • Sybre Waaijer

    Wow, the title of this topic got somehow merged with my first sentence.

    Well, I pretty much followed the tutorial, haven't made any noticeable changes.

    The basics are:
    256 databases
    1 global database
    7 VIP databases

    I also still haven't been able to see the databases within cPanel, but I just used hardcore SQL commands within WHM :slight_smile: Furthermore, I don't really care about this either - it works!

    All databases are currently stored on the same machine. Will split them up over multiple servers when needed. For now I run 3 servers with redundancy cache, mail and nameservers.

  • Sybre Waaijer

    Hi @Aaron - Yes that's correct.

    I must note indeed that the previous database had the Swedish charset: Why it did that? I have no idea, I guess it's cPanel's default? The exact charset is a bit hard for me to find at the moment - if you wish me to elaborate I'll investigate.

    Example's of shortened pages (for you to count the characters):
    https://post.je/example1
    https://post.je/example2
    http://post.je/example3

    Pages from the VIP databases haven't been affected, although they've been switched from database charset - I've manually copied their content through phpmyadmin.

    Example:
    https://post.je/privacy

    The homepage hasn't been affected either - all data seems to remain in the global database: https://hostmijnpagina.nl

    The default blog posts haven't been affected either: http://feestjesenzo.nl/2014/10/23/hallo-wereld/
    Another mapped domain has been affected, but every trace if it has been wiped.

    I haven't found any errors regarding the database except for in the beginning that "couldn't find <datahere> in vip1.etc" because the VIP databases weren't automatically copied.

    I wish you and your team a great weekend :slight_smile:

    EDIT:
    As for the current structure. post_content

    Previously:
    Type: longtext
    Collation: utf8_general_ci
    Attributes:
    Null: No
    Default: None
    Extra:

    Now:
    Type: longtext
    Collation: utf8_general_ci
    Attributes:
    Null: Yes
    Default NULL
    Extra:

    Basically only the Null and Default changed, this counts for all of them in the post_content structure.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.