Update website with 0 Downtime

Hi there,

I'd like to know if there's a tool i can use to help in the deployment of my websites. i know about bitbucket and so forth, but am looking for a way that when i need to update custom themes/plugins, i can do that without any downtime. eg. sometime am on facebook, or even wpmudev website and design structure would change without any form of downtime. what's the secrete lol.

Cheers,

Thomas

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Thomas,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The common practice is to run two sites in "parallel" where one is a "live" site and the other one is a "staging/development" site. You then do all the design/development on that staging site and every once in a while commit changes to the "live" one.

In case of a simple changes such as (already tested and confirmed to be working fine) changes to the design even as simple action as FTP-ing new files to the "live site" will do the trick. In case of more advanced changes though this may not be enough and a solution proposed by Jason may be much better way to go.

Companies such as Facebook and other "giants" use much more complex tools and solution as they have enormously complex infrastructure at their disposal.

For a smaller scale, the "live/staging" solution should be relatively reliable way to go. For example, at WP Engine they offer "one click staging" tool. There are also "independent" tools such as this one (that utilize BitBucket and/or GitHub) to automate site deployment:

https://wppusher.com/

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.