connection was reset

Hi there,

I'm having HUGE amount of errors messages, connections lost, time out, whatever ... Since 3 days and looking to identify where this problem comes from ? Perhaps you can point me to the right direction.

Hosted at GoDaddy, just called and they say all is fine but it's NOT ... I'm living a nightmare since 3 days ... I'm now afraid to hit the [update button] *no kidding

I end-up on a blank page 3 times out of 5, have to reload the page, reload, reload, reload and there it is > but changes were not save > review versions .. when I don't have to login again > go to page > review revisions before updating = connection reset - page blank again ... A REAL NIGHTMARE :slight_smile:

My internet is very good
All the web is fine ... except my Wordpress sites

Where does RESET comes from ?
I installed few plugins recently (*only from WPMU) ... Is this possible a plugin change something in default config somewhere so I'm experiencing all those resets ?

Thanks for any tip you may have !

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Steven, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

Doing a conflict test would definitely be good, we've got a guide on that over here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/getting-support/

Though I'm curious as to how much memory is allocated to WordPress, this'll help explain how that can be set:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP

Generally speaking, I'd set the WP_MEMORY_LIMIT define to a minimum of 256M, like this:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

If after following both of those suggestions, you're still running into problems, I'd want to have GoDaddy dig into this a bit more, but be sure to detail how this can be reproduced (perhaps even have them log into the site, using your credentials, and try reproducing this on their end).

Let me know if I can be of further assistance please! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Steven
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Michael, thanks for your message ...

It's written 256 like you stated
    And GoDaddy was useless, then ran tests and everything is fine with the website
    They confirmed then can access while I'm struggling here (*a real nightmare)

If I'm telling you the following : Does that ring a bell to you ? :slight_smile:

XML Parsing Error: unexpected parser state Location: jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Mozilla%20Firefox/browser/omni.ja!/chrome/browser/content/browser/aboutNetError.xhtml Line Number 392, Column 50:
            <div id="ed_netReset">&netReset.longDesc;</div>

I don't know how to handle this ...
    Perhaps the last sentence could head me in a direction
    Thanks so much

• Steven

I have my site setup without the WWW from the WP Admin
    And with all those, resets, disconnect, refresh ......
    I've notice the browser is looking for the http://www.mydomain.com
    ... Does this could be a hint ?

I'm living a nightmare for the last 3 days now
    All the internet is working great except the 2 sites I'm working on
    Hosting server is fine, local internet provider is fine
    Everybody's telling me all is fine, but I can NOT connect on my wordpress's
    *it's working 1 time out of 10

I reached the point where I'm afraid to hit the update button and see the "connection reset"

What does reset a connection anyway ?
    Thanks for any tip you may have

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Steven,

If the hosting is fine (though I'm not 100% committed to writing that off yet at this point), then we'll want to look at the WordPress install itself.

Was the conflict test I suggested performed? Hadn't heard back on that yet, and didn't want to miss out on possible information, to help narrow down the culprit. :slight_smile:

(we mention a way that this can be done via FTP in our Getting Support article, thought I'd mention that, seeing as you're having issues accessing the WordPress admin interface)

What does reset a connection anyway ?

It could be a plugin on the server, a function inside a theme, or it could be something on the server itself, the causes can vary quite a bit.

If the earlier testing didn't dig up anything, I'd say that I'd want to have a closer look at the situation here. In that case, could you please send in the following via our secure contact form:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include cPanel log-in details (login address, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form (linked to below), please select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Edit: Possible to downgrade WordPress, yes. Easy? Not necessarily.

I'd say that we'll want to look into the site first, before attempting that. :slight_smile:

• Steven

Thanks Michael

It could be a plugin on the server, a function inside a theme, or it could be something on the server itself, the causes can vary quite a bit.

The theme is fine, always has... I've been confirmed server is fine too so it must comes from a plugin ... So I started deleting those not activated, updated 2 that were not up-to-date but most importantly .... I've noticed one I did not installed myself !!

It has been added by a staff to fix another problem on another topic.
    It's been desactivated since 10 minutes and strangely, I'm able to browse normally since.
    Give me a day or 2 to see if that behavior continue...

Thanks so much for the fast reply !!

• Steven

Well ... the nightmare still there :slight_frown:
    & I did not completed the conflict test, as it's unknown world to me
    *i stopped at FTP - rename plugin folder

Support Staff Access is granted
    Can you simply start from there ?
    Just to see if that behavior is happening to you too ?
    *just by clicking anywhere for a few minutes

Thank you

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Steven,

I'm not seeing that Support Access is granted, but given the circumstances, having the WordPress admin details & the FTP details on hand is what I'm going to need.

I'd rather be in a position to run into the issue and work on fixing it, rather than just being in a position to see the behavior. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Steven

I switched the website to a new server, let's wait & see ...

I also called my internet provider, who just came for a checkup, he changed the phone cable coming to my house for a new one ...

Again, give me a day or 2 to see if that behavior continue :slight_smile:

• Steven

Well, after many hours on the phone & multiple techs ...
    The problem comes from my local internet provider.
    *accessing the web is fine - the problems is when I send data to the server

Still having those issues today but at least I know where it's coming from now !

Thanks again for everything
    *message solved

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.