there, I'm having some issues getting the Membership setup

Hi there,

I'm having some issues getting the Membership setup on my site.

Here's what I'd like to do:
Have a monthly Paid Membership rate @ $60.
Have a free Trial Membership that expires in 1 month, then requiring the user to upgrade if they want to retain access. I would prefer that they are notified that they need to pay their membership a week before it expires.

I tried setting up the Trial Membership as Finite for 1 Month with $0 price. Then I added the next level, as the monthly membership within the same Subscription Plan, but I don't like that it says "You will pay: Free for 1 month, and then AUD60.00 every month". Is there a way to edit that text? I would like to change the wording if I had to use it this way. At least when I have it set this way, it show a single Sign-Up button, which is great. There is a minor problem in that the table doesn't fit my theme... where can I adjust this table width?

As an experiment, I removed the 2nd level from the Free Subscription Plan, but then when you go to subscribe, it shows 3 buttons... 2 PayPal ones, and the single blue Sign Up button. I have the Free Subscriptions Gateway & the PayPal Single Payments Gateway active. I need a 2nd gateway for the paid subscription option, but this looks silly and confusing having 3 buttons. It doesn't matter which is clicked, as they all give you free membership, but it would look at lot better with just the 1 button! Will it not work if I have just the 1 month membership without the 2nd level?

I also would like to offer a membership deal that expires on a set date, no matter when the person signs up for it. eg. I want to set a rate & it will expire on the 1st May, no matter when the person signs up... is this possible with this plugin?

Also, I note that the WP user is created before the subscription option is selected. If the user doesn't proceed with the subscription, they will still already have a login. Is it possible to force that a subscription is selected before creating the WP user?

A couple of other questions:
1. What happens if the Free user doesn't sign up by the expiry date? Do they loose login access to the site all together, or would they still have site access, but just not a subscription?
2. What is the difference between the PayPal Gateway options? Is there a way via PayPal to automatically renew membership & charge for it?

I look forward to hearing from you.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @goshdigital,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your questions.

I tried setting up the Trial Membership as Finite for 1 Month with $0 price. Then I added the next level, as the monthly membership within the same Subscription Plan, but I don't like that it says "You will pay: Free for 1 month, and then AUD60.00 every month". Is there a way to edit that text? I would like to change the wording if I had to use it this way. At least when I have it set this way, it show a single Sign-Up button, which is great. There is a minor problem in that the table doesn't fit my theme... where can I adjust this table width?

You can edit the text in the membership plugin folder > languages, or alternatively, you could use our Ultimate Branding plugin :slight_smile:

For the width issue, could I have a link to the page in question please and I'll take a look :slight_smile:

As an experiment, I removed the 2nd level from the Free Subscription Plan, but then when you go to subscribe, it shows 3 buttons... 2 PayPal ones, and the single blue Sign Up button. I have the Free Subscriptions Gateway & the PayPal Single Payments Gateway active. I need a 2nd gateway for the paid subscription option, but this looks silly and confusing having 3 buttons. It doesn't matter which is clicked, as they all give you free membership, but it would look at lot better with just the 1 button! Will it not work if I have just the 1 month membership without the 2nd level?

You should only have the PayPal single payments gateway active and disable the free subscriptions gateway, as PayPal will handle the free subscription :slight_smile:
    That will remove the additional buttons.

I also would like to offer a membership deal that expires on a set date, no matter when the person signs up for it. eg. I want to set a rate & it will expire on the 1st May, no matter when the person signs up... is this possible with this plugin?

Currently this isn't possible, though we are looking into this for a future version :slight_smile:

Also, I note that the WP user is created before the subscription option is selected. If the user doesn't proceed with the subscription, they will still already have a login. Is it possible to force that a subscription is selected before creating the WP user?

That's because the plugin needs a user to assign the subscription too, so it creates the user first, they wouldn't be able to access the content without having a subscription first :slight_smile: You can also disable normal registration if you'd like in settings > general, uncheck, "anyone can register"

What happens if the Free user doesn't sign up by the expiry date? Do they loose login access to the site all together, or would they still have site access, but just not a subscription?

They'd still have logins, but no subscription with no access to the protected content :slight_smile:

What is the difference between the PayPal Gateway options? Is there a way via PayPal to automatically renew membership & charge for it?

PayPal single payments, only handles finite and indefinite subscriptions, the other PayPal gateway handles recurring subscriptions, when you set the subscription type to serial :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• thingc

Thanks Jack.

I have replied to your email with the link and user details for you to see the problem with the table that it is too wide for the page area.
    The site is using the WPMU Buddy Corporate Theme.

Some other questions from your response:
    1. Which module will I need to activate if I am to use the Ultimate Branding plugin to change the text that says "You will pay: Free for 1 month, and then AUD60.00 every month"?

2. Will the PayPal Express Gateway also manage the free subscription, or will I need to enable both the PayPal gateways?
    I would like to use PayPal (or better still, Stripe - can we please have that soon?) for my subscriptions.

3. If I set the monthly subscription to serial, will PayPal record the member's card details and automatically charge them each month, or will they still need to log in and renew each month?

4. If I have the 2nd level of the paid monthly membership as part of the trial subscription, will the member automatically be charged for renewal? Would that force them to have to enter Credit Card details to get the Trial Subscription, even though they shouldn't be charged for the Trial Subscription?

It would be really great if you can add the feature I requested that isn't yet available in the Membership plugin, as it's a great way to run a promotion... it will encourage people to sign up early, as they will be charged the same amount no matter when they sign up in the promotion period.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @goshdigital,

Hope you're well today, thanks for that.

I've taken a look and it displayed correctly for me? Screenshot attached :slight_smile:

1: The text change module :slight_smile:

2: It will indeed, it's actually a common problem when people activate both, just activate the one :slight_smile:

3: It will automatically charge them each month, recurring, unless cancelled by themselves in PayPal :slight_smile:

4: Technically yes, it takes them to PayPal for the billing agreement, then they move onto the paid part after the trial period, so the trial period is a finite level, paid is serial :slight_smile:

Of course, added, and Stripe is as well :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• DavidM

Hi @goshdigital,

Working alongside Jack with this, we got your email with the attachment. Thanks for sending that through.

Our forums won't allow posting of .tiff graphics, I believe due to the file size. Could you possibly provide .png or .jpg format screenshots if need?

I've just gone through the signup process myself and didn't notice any issues with the form display. I've attached a screenshot for example. I've also attached your screenshot as well.

Have you maybe changed something since you took your screenshot?
    I believe you're using BuddyPress, is that the case?

Was your screenshot from before BuddyPress was activated?

Looking forward to getting this sorted for ya! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    David

• thingc

Hi David,

Thanks for helping out with this.
    You're right this is a BuddyPress site, but it's been activated since the start.

The screen you've showed is the same as I see, but it's the next screen, after you click on Sign Up that is the problem. If you login with the user I provided details for and go to the /subscriptions page, you will be able to select Trial Membership & see the problem on the following page. I get the same problem in Chrome, Firefox & Safari on Mac. If you don't login first, you will need to register to get to that page. If you want to go through the full registration process, you'll need to use the Invite Code I provided via email.

Can you please have a look at it again for me and let me know if you can now see the issue?

• thingc

Hi David,

I see what you mean. When I went to the site a lot of pages were not accessible publicly - I had not changed anything though, so this seemed a bit strange. I then logged in as admin, went to edit the Subscriptions page (just to check it was OK) and after clicking on View Page (without making any changes), it all seemed to be working again. Very strange behaviour... no idea why the site would have restricted access, as the Membership level 'Public Access' that I have setup does not restrict pages at all - Only the BuddyPress features and some menu items are restricted at this level.

I've now managed to login, with the username/details I emailed you, and can get to the Subscriptions page. I have also been able to use the Invite Code (I don't have a Coupon Code setup) to create a new user. It seems like it was a Membership plugin glitch, as all of the problems we're seeing seem to be features of this plugin.

One new query I have regarding the Membership plugin - if I want to have a monthly membership level where the user has to manually go in an renew their membership, I understand I should use the Finite Mode and the PayPal Single Payments Gateway, but if I ALSO want to have a membership option that the member can subscribe to and not have to manually renew, I should use Serial Mode, though I'd need to use the Paypal Express Gateway for this, am I correct? And I understand that I can't have 2 active gateways... should I just use the PayPal Express Gateway, and will this work for the Finite Mode membership option?

If you can please have another look and let me know if you can access it now, would be appreciated, as I really need to get the couple of remaining issues sorted by tomorrow.

Thanks,

Cameron
    GOSH! digital
    http://goshdigital.com/

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @goshdigital,

Hope you're well today, I've checked the css issue and you can add this css to resolve that.

table.purchasetable {
    	width: auto !important;
    }

In your case, you would use just the PayPal express gateway, that will handle all three types of memberships (finite, indefinite and serial) :slight_smile:

Make sure all other gateways are deactivated.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• thingc

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help in getting me this far. I'm almost there with the Membership plugin, though I still have a few questions I need to resolve before I can release the site on the world:

1. If I have an active membership, when I click through to the Subscriptions page, it tells me my current membership level, which is great. The other membership levels say :Move to:" so I assume you are meant to be able to change membership levels.
    This all makes sense, but there are no buttons/links to click to move to the other levels, and also, there is no way to cancel my current subscription, should I want to.
    [See screenshot 1]

2. Is there a way to stop someone from being able to resubscribe to the free Trial Membership after their initial trial period elapses? Can we make it one-time only?

3. I have a recurring (serial) membership level setup using the PayPal Express Gateway - am I correct that the only way for me to cancel the membership & stop it billing me next time is to log into PayPal and cancel it there? Or is there some way through my website that I can stop PayPal from continuing to bill me? If we can get point #1 above working I appreciate I will be able to change membership level, but will that adjust the billing from PayPal? I don't want members to have to cancel their subscription in PayPal and then have to re-register on the new level - that would be messy and possibly confusing for some.

4. Why is it that I can go to /register and sign up for an additional membership level? If I do this, I end up with a 2nd Membership, rather than my membership level being changed to the new level. Is this how it is supposed to work? Is there a way to stop being able to have more than one membership at any time so members are only able to change between levels, not add levels?
    [See screenshot 2]

Thanks again,

Cameron
    GOSH! digital
    http://goshdigital.com

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Cameron,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

1: Which type of Membership does that user have? Which payment gateway are you using?

2: Unfortunately there isn't currently, though we are looking into that for a future version :slight_smile: I would advise, adding it to one subscription and they they move to the paid one :slight_smile:

3: If they move, technically the subscription will be updated in PayPal so that would be fine, but if they wanted to completely cancel that would need to be cancelled in PayPal currently.

4: Currently when you move subscriptions it should upgrade you, but going back to /register would result in a new subscription, one way to stop this would be to protect /register using a URL group rule for paid members :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.