there, I'm looking for a WP solution that will allow me

Hey there,

I'm looking for a WP solution that will allow me to have people singup, then once they login create a page. But they will only have access to that page, nothing else, and ideally some way to limit them to creating just 1 page, or possibly more if they upgrade their membership.

Ideally I'd limit their WP backend view so all they see is a page builder, and then it's pre-populated with templates we create.

Is there a plugin or combination of plugins from WPMUdev that would achieve this type of functionality? Thank you!

- Jacob

• Jude

Hey there Jacob

Hope you're doing great !!

Just letting you know the best way to do this in my opinion.

1) Use Protected Content for the sigunp / payment and membership bits. It supports all you need out of the box.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/

2) Use a roles and caps editor like this one(just one of the many options) to control who sees/can do what on the site

https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

3) Try a plugin like this to limit the number of posts per role.

http://glue-talk.com/359/wordpress-plugin-limit-post-creation/

Alternately you can use this code to do it as well

add_action( 'admin_head-post-new.php', 'check_post_limit' );
    function check_post_limit() {
        global $userdata;
        global $post_type;
        global $wpdb;
    	if( $post_type === 'post' ) {
    		$item_count = $wpdb->get_var( "SELECT count(*) FROM $wpdb->posts WHERE post_status = 'publish' AND post_type = 'post' AND post_author = $userdata->ID" );
    		if( $item_count >= 1 ) { wp_die( "You need to updgrade to add more posts" ); }
    	}
    	return;
    }

Just copy/paste the code into the functions.php file of your child theme or a site specific plugin if you use one.

Hope that helped

Jude

• Jacob

Thanks Jude! What a wealth of information, this is such a great start. Would this method work to allow users to create pages as well, and within certain cats/sub-cats (rather than posts)?

For example, I'm hoping that a user can signup, pay, and then be taken to a place where they create a page that automatically populates in the "events" category, and they aren't able to remove or change the category or anything else in Wordpress, but they can edit and revise that particular page.

Thanks again!

• Jacob

Perfect, sounds like a great solution. Another piece of this system would be to put a time limit on the public visibility of the page created by the user.

For example, if a user buys package "silver," could we put a 1 week limit, the start date chosen by the user, on the public visibility of the page? And after that duration, the page would "expire" and revert to a draft or private mode? Or potentially after that duration it would require a monthly subscription to keep the page live?

Thanks again!

• Michelle Shull

Hi there, Jacob! This is an edited version of an answer I gave a previous member about the differences between Protected Content and Membership:

Protected Content Pros
    1. Easy to use and set up. (Without reading the manual, I was able to set up Protected Content on my site in a fraction of the time it took me to set up Membership.)
    2. Better control over different types of content, like custom post types, BuddyPress, bbPress, and more.
    3. Very intuitive UI, leading to a smoother user experience on both the admin and member sides.
    4. No more remote pings, which are kind of a nightmare, to integrate with MailChimp

Protect Content Cons
    1. Not quite as robust as Membership, specifically when it comes to negative v. positive rules.
    2. Harder to manage the visitor experience. -FIXED in update since I posted this. You can create a visitor level now, easy as falling off a log.
    3. Currently, it's not possible to import your Membership subscriptions directly to Protected Content, so that would involve some additional set up for your already enrolled members with active subscriptions. -FIXED in update since I posted this. You can now import members/levels from Membership to Protected Content.

Membership Pros
    1. Can do more complex content protection, when a simple option isn't robust enough.
    2. Easier to control the experience for non-logged in users, for example with Membership you can set things so only visitors can see them. No longer true.

Membership Cons
    1. Takes a while to fully understand how it works.
    2. Set up can be complex and time consuming.
    3. It's possible to lock yourself out of your site. -FIXED in update since I posted this.

Both plugins might take ongoing work as your site content changes, but here Protected Content wins for being simpler to manage than Membership.

What you're describing is dripped content scenario, which is supported by Protected Content. It can be done in Membership, but it would take some creative problem solving to make it work.

Hope this helps!

• Jude

Hey Jacob

Just answering your last question as well

For example, if a user buys package "silver," could we put a 1 week limit, the start date chosen by the user, on the public visibility of the page? And after that duration, the page would "expire" and revert to a draft or private mode? Or potentially after that duration it would require a monthly subscription to keep the page live?

PC does have time based memberships so its possible to force monthly subscriptions to keep using the site.

You may need some custom work done on top of that to be able to move their posts back to draft.

That was a great answer by Michelle, Im just going to sum it up in 3 words if you don't mind.

Use Protected Content

Hope you had a great weekend

Jude

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.