there. Looks like quite a useful plugin, Can this be used

Hi there. Looks like quite a useful plugin, Can this be used to create a group specific activity feed?

I am using buddypress to create an intranet site and want to provide departments(groups) with a feed of the latest activity within their department as a sidebar widget or some other kind of feed.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@nomadone

You're welcome!

BuddyPress is a beast of a plugin, but it's still a plugin. Take things one module at a time to get yourself familiar with all the options, features, both front and back ends. Then move on the next one.

Once you get comfortable with what it can do out-of-the-box, you can start exploring ways to extend it. There are literally hundreds of plugins available specifically to extend the functionality of BP.

Oh yeah... and have fun :slight_smile:

• nomadone
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Just tried copying the Group Feed which looks like this

mysite.com/groups/hr/feed/

Placed it into RSS widget and I get feed errors.
    If you can advise on the correct way to pull group feeds and display them using something other than the standard rss widget that would be really helpful thanks

• nomadone

@Patrick, thank yeah I've been fiddlin with it today, still having some issues though but that specific feed is working. I'm uncertain though if I have understood everything going on in there.

I have a "Members Only" plugin preventing access unless logged in, so I appended the feed key to the feed which worked.

A second feed however with the same key appended doesn't work

Uncertain what the standard behavior would be for a private buddypress group's feed, if the feed would actually show to non-members of that group.

Bumbling my way through it

• nomadone

For whatever reason that HR group feed worked and now it doesn't work, quite bizarre I just can't get group feeds to easily work. Does anyone know of an alternative method of pulling group specific feeds into widget areas?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @nomadone

That is odd because it works on my test site. So do the feeds from your other groups like http://rns.org.za/intranet/groups/head-office-group/feed/

You may want to try a plugin to replace the default widget. There are actually several in the WP plugin directory as seen in the results of this search:
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/search.php?q=rss+widget

Just be sure to check the support & changelog areas when you install freebies to be sure they are supported and updated. :slight_smile:

• nomadone

Hi @Patrick yeah thanks again I have been testing out other rss widgets and so far none make much difference. What is very peculiar is that the 2 feeds which currently work on the site didn't work not too long ago and the ones which don't work don't have much different about them that I can detect to prevent their display or cause this problem.

Thanks for your advice

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @nomadone

I've tested your feeds (various ones) on several of my dev sites and they work just fine for me... not reassuring, I know :slight_frown:

There may be a conflict with some other plugin that you have active on your site. Basic troubleshooting protocol should be followed here to locate the possible conflict.

Revert to a default WordPress theme (Twenty-Eleven or Twenty-Twelve). Is the problem still there? If the answer is no, then it's a theme conflict (not very likely in this case, but ya never know). If it is still present...

De-activate all plugins. Then re-activate them one by one, and test with each activation until you find the problem plugin.

Once we've zeroed in on the possible cause(s) of your issue, we'll be better equipped to deal with it.

If, after all this, the issue is still present, we'll have to dig deeper.

• nomadone

Hi Patrick, yeah I know the drill, deactivate everything and run it on a squeeky clean install, which I have done with twenty twelve theme, same issues.

I'm wondering if there could possibly be anything about the server which could affect the feeds, though my server admin skills are non existant.

I even setup a completely new install of wp on localhost with and put these feeds into the rss widget and get the same issues. Bizarre

• nomadone

I made a clone of the site on a different server, inserted the feed widgets and get the same erratic behavior

I then setup a page with 2 feeds using RSS shortcode plugin from Yoast, I'm able tp pull yoasts feed in but not a buddypress group feed

http://www.rns.the-colab.com/group-feeds-rss-test/

Furthermore, when reloading the page without any changes, feeds which showed stop showing, and feeds which were not working now work.

It doesn't matter how I fetch the feeds.

When I paste a feed like this into my feed reader "feedly" it tells me no feeds were found:

http://www.rns.the-colab.com/groups/hr/feed/

• nomadone

Hi Patrick, really odd yes I know.

I posted a small maintenance job request on wpmudev jobs page and got someone who fixed the problem for me.

External feeds worked fine and so did most of the groups feeds intermittently but never all of them.

It's working fine now Thanks The Lord.

I just wish I knew the problem

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@nomadone

I posted a small maintenance job request on wpmudev jobs page and got someone who fixed the problem for me.

It would be good to know what the problem was in case other members happen upon this thread while Googling around for solutions to similar issues.

• nomadone

The dev guy who fixed it told me he had to reinitialise the feeds, I asked for details but never got anything more than that.

I also found that the Buddypress Group Extras plugin was causing submit buttons in some admin areas to disappear.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.