Install a Wordpress multisite on a subdomain but use main domain for creating new sites

Hi there !

Sorry for my bad english :slight_frown:

I'm using Wordpress multisite since a while and I want to use your Pro Site extension for a new network.

Let's say my website is mainsite.com, I've a Wordpress Multisite install on this domain and I have different subsites like sub1.mainsite.com, sub2 etc...

I want to use Pro Site but I have some settings and network activated plugins that I don't want to use for subsites created via Pro Site. So I'm going to install a brand new network exclusively for Pro Site.

This network will be on a subdomain like network.mainsite.com but I don't want that subsites of this network are something like sub1.network.mainsite.com, I want to still use my main domain

My question is : Is it possible to create a multisite install on network.mainsite.com and have new websites created on this network to be like sub1.mainsite.com instead of sub1.network.mainsite.com

Thanks a lot for your help. Have a very nice day !

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @Kearsan,

Hope you're doing well today and welcome to WPMU :slight_smile:

First thing to note is that you can't have network installed inside existing network as sub network so creating something like this is not possible.

Can you please give me some more info on this part of your question:

I want to use Pro Site but I have some settings and network activated plugins that I don't want to use for subsites created via Pro Site.

So we can see if there is something we can do to about this with only the current network installation.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Kearsan

Hi Predrag !

Sorry if I haven't explained correctly. I dont want to install a wordpress multisite on a subdomain of my wordpress multisite, it will be a different install !

I have a wordpress multisite on mainsite.com and I'm going to create a completly different multisite (new install, different DB, different VHost, etc...) on a domain like network.mainsite.com (it's a subdomain of my website but only regarding DNS settings, not a subdomain of my Wordpress Multisite)

Regarding network activated plugins I have some plugins like myCRED and Yoast but I don't want to use it on websites created with Pro Site.

And vice versa, I want to network activate BuddyPress for websites created with Pro Site, but I don't want to use it on my other sites.

It's why I want to make a new multisite install only for Pro Site, and wonder if it's possible to create new sites based on mainsite.com even if the primary domain of the network is network.mainsite.com

Thanks for your help !

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi @Kearsan,

First option is unfortunately not possible, you can't create site on subdomain but still use original domain for sub sites, this is limitation in WP itself and not much can be done here.

Or maybe it's possible to deactivate a network activated plugin on pro sites ?

There is an option for this in Pro Sites, make sure that your plugins is not network activated, go to Pro Sites > Modules and activate Premium Plugins.
    Now go to Pro Sites > Premium Plugins and set your desired plugin minimum level to None and that should be it :slight_smile:

Let me know if this works for you.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.