there, this is a site setup on my local machine its

Hi there, this is a site setup on my local machine its a Multisite I am setting up for a local school which I need to set up a membership on.

I need 3 levels for Students, Parents and Teachers. There will be unique content for each but also shared content like diaries and events. All content will be free but may be adding some paying options later.

I also need to know what is the best way to set up access for each. One idea the school would like id to go with the family / student number which they use to identify and know exactly who they are dealing with. Is something like this possible?

Could you please tell me what would be the best way to set this up?

Many thanks

Peter

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Peter,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

By default the access would be based on a username they would setup on registration, do they have access to the family /student number or is this more of an admin thing?

Roughly how much content, pages, posts etc needs to be protected on a per level basis? Was you looking at using sub sites to protect content as well or just the main site? If your looking to protect content on sub sites, then you'll most likely need to use the main global database tables which I can explain about :slight_smile: As this way it will work as one single membership site, rather than individual ones :slight_smile:

Was you hoping to use Positive or Negative rules, or you don't mind?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Peter

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the fast response. Im new to setting up membership sites so just want to make sure its set right. Don't know anything about Positive or Negative rules but if they are useful then great.

As for the structure and content we don't really know as we are starting out fresh but hopefully it will grow. For example the teachers could set up their own sites in their specialty, say Maths, for extra curricular teaching, everything from links, calculators, discussion boards (split between parents and students perhaps) and maybe even hangout integration. This could be applied for each of the 3 areas with cross level access as well. So whichever setup would support this best?

In regards to the login is there any level of control? They do have access to their ID so say filtering so they could only use the ID range? Not sure in the end its all that critical other that the admin being able to confirm that they are current community members ... or past students?

Also down the line I hope the multiste can be used by the students to create their own school sites? As well as the Parents and Friends members.

Thank you.

Regards

Peter

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Peter,

I hope you are well today.

The rules, positive and negative, how it works is you choose one of them, so negative rules would block that page to a particular user level, whereas positive would allow access for that particular user level and block others if that makes sense? I would personally recommend going with Positive access levels.

As for the structure and content we don't really know as we are starting out fresh but hopefully it will grow. For example the teachers could set up their own sites in their specialty, say Maths, for extra curricular teaching, everything from links, calculators, discussion boards (split between parents and students perhaps) and maybe even hangout integration. This could be applied for each of the 3 areas with cross level access as well. So whichever setup would support this best?

Would it all be on the main site, or would you be spreading it out to the sub site/sub directories? If it's all on the main site, how it currently would out of the box is best, though if it was on the sub directories as well, out of the box that would function as a separate membership site, which means that we would need to enable global tables.

In regards to the login is there any level of control? They do have access to their ID so say filtering so they could only use the ID range? Not sure in the end its all that critical other that the admin being able to confirm that they are current community members ... or past students?

Currently if they have a username and password, they can login, there is no extra field to check for another value but it would be possible to custom code, it currently uses WordPress's own wp-login.php page.

Also down the line I hope the multiste can be used by the students to create their own school sites? As well as the Parents and Friends members.

Yes that would work great, they can still signup for a site within your multisite network :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Peter

Hi Jack,

Thank you. Ill start with using Positive rules.

Can you tell me what the advantages are of using sub sites?

Can the main site handle the 3 member categories and students setting up their own sites?

What does it take to enable global tables?

If I started with all memberships and content on the one main site could I separate them later if they grew to big? and or split the data base?

Many thanks

Peter

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Peter,

I hope you are well today and sorry for the delay with my reply, I missed your previous response.

The advantages of using sub sites without global tables is that every sub site, will then act as it's own independent membership site, where all the access levels can be just for that sub site :slight_smile:

To enable global tables you need to add this to your wp-config.php this make membership act as one overall site rather than independent sites.

if(!defined('MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES')) define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES', true); if(!defined('MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_MAINSITE')) define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_MAINSITE', 1);

If I started with all memberships and content on the one main site could I separate them later if they grew to big? and or split the data base?

I don't believe so I'm afraid, that wouldn't really work, a lot of database work would be needed to do that, you'd be best to make that choice to start with :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Sorry again about the delay!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Peter

Hi Jack,

Im having some issues with the Positive Rules:

1. Using the widgets rules I get the following errors showing in the header of the member who is logged into their admin:

( ! ) Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /Users/Icon/Documents/Websites/stspyridon.dev/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/addons/default.admin.rules.php on line 370
    Call Stack
    # Time Memory Function Location
    1 0.0157 431596 {main}( ) ../index.php:0
    2 0.5577 43434164 wp_dashboard_setup( ) ../index.php:17
    3 0.5605 43440780 do_action( ) ../dashboard.php:124
    4 0.5606 43441764 call_user_func_array ( ) ../plugin.php:406
    5 0.5606 43441780 M_Dashboardwidgets->pos_dashboard( ) ../plugin.php:0

( ! ) Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /Users/Icon/Documents/Websites/stspyridon.dev/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/addons/default.admin.rules.php:370) in /Users/Icon/Documents/Websites/stspyridon.dev/wp-includes/option.php on line 568
    Call Stack
    2 0.5697 43485652 include( '/Users/Icon/Documents/Websites/stspyridon.dev/wp-admin/admin-header.php' ) ../index.php:104
    3 0.5701 43486208 wp_user_settings( ) ../admin-header.php:38
    4 0.5704 43486416 setcookie ( ) ../option.php:568

( ! ) Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /Users/Icon/Documents/Websites/stspyridon.dev/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/addons/default.admin.rules.php:370) in /Users/Icon/Documents/Websites/stspyridon.dev/wp-includes/option.php on line 569
    Call Stack
    2 0.5697 43485652 include( '/Users/Icon/Documents/Websites/stspyridon.dev/wp-admin/admin-header.php' ) ../index.php:104
    3 0.5701 43486208 wp_user_settings( ) ../admin-header.php:38
    4 0.5742 43486448 setcookie ( ) ../option.php:569

2. I cant get anything to show on the members dashboard? Also when I set a positive rule to add a blog so they can create their own blog there is no way for them to set one up. viewing their site goes to protected content page.

3. Positive rules for pages work for the member but when they log out those pages can still be accessed using the same url. If you dont know the url all is hidden but these should be redirecting to the protected content page. The shorcodes work but when going to the member protected url I don't get redirected to the protected content page? I just see a blank page which I can add a message to in the setting but I would prefer the page to be protected.

4. I have also tried setting up URL groups but nothing happens when adding it as a positive rule:

stspyridon.dev/wp-admin/admin.php?page=communities
    http://stspyridon.dev/spyschool/students-portal/student-forums/
    http://stspyridon.dev/spyschool/students-portal/(.*)
    http://stspyridon.dev/spyschool/students-portal/careers/(.*)

So at the moment the only way I can protect content is to use the shorcodes.

I have gone through the videos and manual for settings and from what I can see they are correct.

Regards

Peter

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Peter, (@pwen)

I hope you are well today, sorry for the delay I was off sick yesterday and have just seen this.

Sorry to hear of the problems your having with these rules, I have checked this on my own test install and can't replicate this, would it be possible to get some access to your website to check this issue? As it really shouldn't be doing this with the rules, did you enable the global tables in the end?

If you could send in the following please that would be great :slight_smile:

- In the subject field add "Attn: Jack Kitterhing"
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thank you! Sorry again about the delay here.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.