There was an unknown error when I try to update MarketPress on localhost

It has been for some time when I update WPMU DEV plugins on my localhost, MarketPress (V 3.1) is the only plugin that gives me this error:

There was an unknown error

A few days ago I created a new site on my localhost, where I only have WPMU DEV plugins. When I try to install MarketPress on my local site from > WPMU DEV > Plugins, I got this message:

Something went wrong, please refresh the page and try again.

I refresh and try again and then I get this:

INSTALLATION FAILED!

Installation of MarketPress eCommerce failed. Most likely reason for this are wrong folder permissions of your wp-contents folder.

On all my local sites, other plugins update and installs normally, as I was able to install other plugins into my new local WPMU DEV site, and in the past had no issue with installing MarketPress, I don’t think the permission issue has anything to do with my wp setup as I have not made any changes to folder premissions on my localhost or other folders on my machine.

Regards

Dennis

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Dennis, how are you doing today?

I tried to regenerate this on my test site, but I could not. Can you please download the plugin from this page [https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce/] and manually install it? Go to “Dashboard > Plugins > Add New” section and upload the zip you downloaded. It should install normally.

If it doesn’t install and any error is shown, please let us know in details. We will be glad to investigate further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!

Rupok

• Dennis
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks, Rupok,

Did as you instructed and ….

Unpacking the package…

Installing the plugin…

Destination folder already exists. /wp-content/plugins/marketpress/

Plugin install failed.

It seems like the plugin was installed from the dashboard but has issues. Deleted the folder from plugins and the install succeeded!

I need to check the folder permissions as there might be some settings interfering only with MarketPress!

As the plugin was previously installed but has permission issue for both dashboard install and update. It would make it easier for me to search for the source of this permission issue (I guess it needs writing permission somewhere), if you could find out (or ask the dev) which files it might be that require necessary permissions?

Regards

Dennis

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Dennis,

I need to check the folder permissions as there might be some settings interfering only with MarketPress!

Please let us know if you find anything. I’m really curious to know why this was happening.

To be honest, I once faced the same issue in my test site, the same problem, but that was the only time I faced this and when I tried again, it was resolved. And as the plugin is manually being installed without any issue, I don’t think there is much on your server.

Please let us know your findings, add as much details as possible. I’ll ping our developers with your details if required.

Have a nice day. Cheers!

Rupok

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Dennis,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

It’s pretty tough to determine what could have gone wrong in your localhost without checking the issue. Since it’s a localhost, and if you have already tried 777 permission for your folders, and it still doesn’t work, then it could be some other issue. Since I don’t see you mention about setting up debug mode, have you enabled debug mode? This would help in figuring out if the error is related to something else.

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file located in your root directory, and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

You can find more details about debugging here.

Could you please try to add the following line your wp-config.php file, and check whether it makes any difference:

define('FS_METHOD', 'direct');

Does the plugin work if you manually extract your files to the the /wp-content/plugins/ folder?

I hope this helps. Please let us know if it makes any difference. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• Dennis

Nithin,

I don’t think it is permission issues with my folders as I’ve full read and writing access, and no, I didn’t run the install in debug mode.

It is a new local test site with all the WPMU DEV plugins, all installed from WPMU DEV dashboard except MarketPress, the question still is, why MarketPress is the only plugin that can’t be installed from the dashboard but installs without an error when wp installer is used?

Edit: I will have to run the other tests you recommended later as I don’t have te time now,

Regards

Dennis

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Dennis,

It is a new local test site with all the WPMU DEV plugins, all installed from WPMU DEV dashboard except MarketPress, the question still is, why MarketPress is the only plugin that can’t be installed from the dashboard but installs without an error when wp installer is used?

This scenario is not a common one, and it’s pretty tough to determine what could have caused this error. Since you have already ruled out that there isn’t any permission issue, enabling the debug mode, and trying to install the plugin, would help troubleshoot if there is any issue related to the plugin.

You could also try disabling other plugins, and switching to a default themes, to rule out any conflicts. Also please do check whether you are having any limit in space allotted in your system.

Please let us know how these goes, I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• Dennis

HI Nithin,

This site is only for testing purposes, here I can test plugins without installing into sites and later to find out if I can or cannot use that plugin and no need to spend the time to clean up the db and other mess added to that site!

As the administrator of my machine I’ve (or should have) a full access to everything on my machine. When I’ve more time I’ll run tests and try figure out what’s going on.

Regards

Dennis

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.