Thinking about the next update to UF and Spirit

When the next update comes out (I am running Spirit/0.1.6 and UF/0.2.7.1). will it kill all the customization I have doe to the css code.

How will it affect the custom pages I have built and the formatting changes I have made?

I just installed Snapshot and will begin daily backups as soon as I figure it out. Will that be adequate in case a new update ruins customization?

Thanks.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Charles,

I hope you are well today and thanks for posting on the forum.

When the next update comes out (I am running Spirit/0.1.6 and UF/0.2.7.1).

The developers are working around the clock to get it release soon but sorry i can't publish exact ETAs

will it kill all the customization I have doe to the css code.

Where have you added the CSS code customization?

If you have added it in the CSS theme settings then it won't get overwritten.

How will it affect the custom pages I have built and the formatting changes I have made?

All these changes are saved in the database so it won't get affected, the only code that you have added in the theme files will be overwritten on updating the themes.

I just installed Snapshot and will begin daily backups as soon as I figure it out. Will that be adequate in case a new update ruins customization?

Yes that will be really helpful to restore the site if anything goes wrong.

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Charles

Hi Vinod,

Thanks for the quick response.
    I am confused by these two answers:

Q: How will it affect the custom pages I have built and the formatting changes I have made?
    All these changes are saved in the database so it won't get affected, the only code that you have added in the theme files will be overwritten on updating the themes.

The changes I have made to CSS code is what has been posted here to tweak things... image size in blog posts, padding around images, things like that. All that was done in the CSS editor in UpFront that appears at the bottom of the edit screen. Will all that be ok?

Can you be more specific in the difference in CSS theme settings and theme files?

Thanks.

• Ash

Hello @Charles

I hope you are well today.

All that was done in the CSS editor in UpFront that appears at the bottom of the edit screen. Will all that be ok?

That should be okay :slight_smile:

Also you can use a simple plugin to keep all the custom css in one place - My Custom CSS. http://wordpress.org/plugins/my-custom-css/

About the confusion, Vinod meant that, if you directly added any code in the theme file, that will be overwritten when the theme will be updated.

Cheers
    Ash

• Charles

I have made many changes to colors and formats in the css code at the bottom of the UF edit screens. There is always a name associated with those (for example main-nav for the menu settings I am using). I understand these will be ok.

But if I went into file manager in cpanel, and edited a file in the uf-spirit or upfront folders, that is what will be overwritten with the new version. Do I understand this correctly?

Or do I have to go to all the css things I edited, and copy them so I can put them back when the new version is loaded? Please be specific.

I have spent literally hundreds of hours on making and remaking this site because of all the bugs and I cannot afford (time or money) any more setbacks from the poor implementation of this theme. This whole process has been mixed with great results tainted with periods of total disaster.

I love the platform and want to build many sites with it, but the bugs are horrible and devastating to all of us that have clients to serve and operate on a schedule for project completion.