Third attempt - BuddyPress 1.5.1. linking all wrong!!!

I've tried buddypress forum's twice with no response and posting here for a third time HOPING for some help can be received.

I had a WP multi-user site, http://retrofitdiaries.org, that has run over a year using Buddypress and Network theme WORKING FINE 'til yesterday until updating Buddypress to the current version 1.5.1.

In fact I received much help from WPMUDEV in implementing an early version of Network - and IT WORKED FINE.

Now, all Buddypress features do work yet don't appear to due to incorrect Buddypress linking (all except community streams on the top level site are incorrect).

I've done nothing unusual, tried turning off all other plug-ins to no effect. I don't see why other people are not finding that Buddypress isn't totally failing in this version.

The issue is that all references go to non-existing urls with an unnecessary blogname inserted before the site title.

There are so few options with Buddypress and I've not changed any - why is this happening? Pleas can this be addressed....

• Tim Watt
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Sorry to post for a third time as my points have not been addressed but this is urgent as currently due to these errors my users will not be able to log on to their sites!

Can you now see this is an important issue for my network!

• Tim Watt

Right - some progress!

I wish there had been some warning that there was a Buddypress issue so I wouldn't have updated...

In fact I'd warn anyone else not to as the update seems entirely retrograde, and extremely long winded!

It introduces an exponential mass of duplication - entirely unnecesarily!!!

Progress made is that profiles images do appear in some widgets but no others, and it becomes possible to repair community streams to new pages.

BUT, and a big BUT, this is entirely unnecessary as the relevant streams already exist at the top level - you have to add as many pages as streams and repair for each blog - several days work when the pages exist already but with no way for forward to the existing one...

How dumb is that !!!!!

More urgently though - and this does seem to be a theme issue - my users still can not log in!!!!

Please can this be looked into - and I'd rather be informed than be ignored... Thanks

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Tim,

I wish there had been some warning that there was a Buddypress issue so I wouldn't have updated...

There was. Next to the upgrade notice for BuddyPress was a warning link to a message about checking for compatibility before upgrading. We also had a big notice here in our forums for folks when the BuddyPress upgrade was released:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/important-buddypress-15-theme-updates

BUT, and a big BUT, this is entirely unnecessary as the relevant streams already exist at the top level - you have to add as many pages as streams and repair for each blog - several days work when the pages exist already but with no way for forward to the existing one...

It's an extra step, but really this is how BuddyPress should be functioning . It provides for much better integration with WordPress and will ensure compatibility going forward as well.

More urgently though - and this does seem to be a theme issue - my users still can not log in!!!!

I don't think this is a theme issue as the theme does nothing in itself to affect the logging system. What other plugins are you running at this point? Let's take a look there.

Thanks!

• Tim Watt

Thanks Mason.

Didn't see that warning....

It's not an extra step - it's an extra step * 3 *100 plus - and entirely unnecessary as I see it.

Actually - I do think it's a Theme issue as (already mentioned) tested with BP Default, eg (temporarily) http://hounslowpassivhausretrofit.retrofitdiaries.org/

It's not due to my child Network either as the incorrect login stuff is there trying with the updated full network theme...

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Ok, so it's probably a setup thing. Can you tell me more about your setup? Including any errors during login/signup, installed plugins and version numbers, blog_ID for BuddyPress, etc.

Anything you can think of will be helpful. And to be clear, this all started after the BuddyPress upgrade? I haven't heard of folks having this level of trouble. In fact, it may be beneficial to completely deactivate all plugins temporarily in order to test and see if there's still an issue. If things begin to work, we know it's a plugin that is the culprit.

Let us know. Thanks!

• pro120
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

If you are using ultimate facebook I bet you that's the problem. I had similar issues the other day. If you haven't done so already you should clear out your cookies and cache if your still experiencing login problems.

• Tim Watt

No, nothing happens - every impression is given that the user is logged in when they aren't....

wp-login.php and all that works but the user won't guess that - the normal login space is what the user would recognise (it's there if Buddypress is deactivated). At the moment the label says logout...

Maybe there's some sort of logic error.

It's rather obvious: http://retrofitdiaries.org/

As a sticking plaster I was going to try this: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-sliding-login-panel/

But maybe this needs to be addressed...

Tim

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Tim,

That logout button has been modified from the theme default - either through the child theme or by a plugin. Attached is what the default should look like. Since you've disabled BuddyPress and been able to get things working, I'm wondering if it's a theme edit.

You could try temporarily switching to the default BuddyPress theme and see if that works. Then, you'll need to look at the edits which is what Phil recommended on your other thread:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/incorrect-login-info-for-network

• Tim Watt

Hi James

Please see this LOGGED OUT condition attached.

Clearly showing this is a THEME ISSUE in combination with Buddypress.

This issue only exists with Buddypress active, and does not exist with Buddypress with the default theme and exists with the child theme with or without any modifications as it exists too with parent theme dated 4.11.12 (and the previous update).

I'd would be very grateful if you could look into this more fully.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Tim,

I don't know what else we can do for you. It is highly possible that the error is within the theme - but it's clearly been modified from the original version. If you activate the latest Network Theme (parent theme - unmodified) with BuddyPress you should have no issues. I've not yet seen the site with the default Network theme activated. Can you switch to that and let's see if the error persists?

• Tim Watt

Hi

I've done all you have suggested, but have you looked at your own test install that you sent the screenshot of in the LOGGED OUT state?

If you activate the latest Network Theme (parent theme - unmodified) with BuddyPress you should have no issues

Yes, but the false 'logout' button appears in the virgin, straight out of my downloads folder theme!

I showed it to you with BP Default theme but could only leave it like that temporaily - trust me it works fine!

• Tim Watt

Great Tammie!

Can I get extra brownie points for pointing out this issue???

... and extra for persisting.

The same issue must have existed for everybody, and only unnoticed due to paying less than due attention to the end user....

Anyway, much to work though as a result of the Buddypress update mess. But for another day...

Thanks guys!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.