Three questions about YouTube Featured Video

YouTube Featured Video seems to fit my needs quite nicely — other than three small but still somewhat significant issues with presentation.

1) If I select “Show video title,” the video title appears in exactly the same styling as the overall widget title (font, size, underline, etc.) and they’re stacked right on top of each other (this is in wpmu-nelo by the way). That looks confusing (because there’s no visual hierarchy between widget title and video title). Is there a way to make the video title subservient to the over widget title?

2) Under the “Username or Channel” selection, is there a way to limit the feed to a particular playlist only?

3) The “Show Channel link” function works fine for a channel address, but not for the YouTube account I want to link to, which has a “youtube.com/user/…” address. Is there a way to make the plugin work for “user” address? (Alternatively, am I missing some way to change my Youtube user account address to accomodate this?)

Thanks, Ken

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @ken_edelstein

Thanks for posting!

1) If I select “Show video title,” the video title appears in exactly the same styling as the overall widget title (font, size, underline, etc.) and they’re stacked right on top of each other (this is in wpmu-nelo by the way). That looks confusing (because there’s no visual hierarchy between widget title and video title). Is there a way to make the video title subservient to the over widget title?

I guess this is because the title tags are H3, the same as the widget title tags. To change this you would have to edit the plugin files which is not advised as when you update in the future your changes will be lost.

If you are happy to risk this then go to youtube-videos-widget/lib/class_ytvw_video_widget.php and look around line 229 and you should see the following:

? "<h3>{$video_title}</h3>"

Change the <h3> and </h3> to something else. If you want a smaller heading you could use <h4> and </h4> or <h5> and </h5> or you could add a custom class and add some CSS to edit the styling.

You only have one video in your channel so I couldn’t try with yours, however I tried with another channel and using the WPMU-Nelo this is how it looked for me:

http://awesomescreenshot.com/0201el6j58

Can you put some more videos on there and enable the titles so I can see?

2) Under the “Username or Channel” selection, is there a way to limit the feed to a particular playlist only?

Not really, however once you have entered a username you can click ‘Select Videos to Show’ and only tick the videos you want to.

3) The “Show Channel link” function works fine for a channel address, but not for the YouTube account I want to link to, which has a “youtube.com/user/…” address. Is there a way to make the plugin work for “user” address? (Alternatively, am I missing some way to change my Youtube user account address to accomodate this?)

I enabled this on my test site too with your YouTube account and it displayed correctly as: http://www.youtube.com/user/R******L

I added the asterisks incase you didn’t want the channel to be shown to the world :slight_smile:

If you can add the show channel link on your website then let me know when you have, I’ll have a look.

All of the above was fine on my test site though so it’s hard to say what the problem is.

Post some screenshots of the widget settings and the output and let me know when you have enabled the above and I’ll see if I can identify the problem.

Cheers,

Mike

• ken_edelstein
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi, @mike:

Thanks for your help. Got the H4 to work by going into the plugin css as you cautiously suggested. It'd be nice if the plugin ensured somehow that the movie title could be make smaller than the plugin title without changing the file, eh?

The link: More frustration. It actually worked as soon as I put it in. But then it stopped working — as you'll see at greenhomechronicle.com (unless, of course, it decides to start working again :wink:. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Screenshot of settings is attached as you requested.

Best,

Ken

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @ken_edelstein

Thanks for replying and I hope you are well today :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help. Got the H4 to work by going into the plugin css as you cautiously suggested. It’d be nice if the plugin ensured somehow that the movie title could be make smaller than the plugin title without changing the file, eh?

Well done, I’m glad that worked, agreed it would be better if there was an easier way to change that, it would add more options though and I think the idea is to keep this plugin as simple as possible. I’ve flagged the developer @vladislav for his feedback on this, he might already be planning to implement it!

The link: More frustration. It actually worked as soon as I put it in. But then it stopped working — as you’ll see at greenhomechronicle.com (unless, of course, it decides to start working again :wink:. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Screenshot of settings is attached as you requested.

Can you try unticking the “This is a Google+ connected channel” box? And see if it works then?

Cheers,

Mike

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.