Three Studio Questions

First, having just signed up, I'd like to say how pleased I am to be able to participate in what is clearly a vibrant community and a great resource. I'm constructing my first WordPress site and this seemed like the perfect place to begin. That said, I have the inevitable newbie questions, in no particular order:

I will be creating a multi-user site with BP. Should I install BP and then enable MU, or the other way around? Or does it make no difference?

I have downloaded and installed the Studio template, which looks very promising. If I understand its structure correctly from looking at the PDF, the widgets are at the bottom of the home page and also in sidebars elsewhere on the site. So, no other widget possibilities on the home page? That would seem a bit limiting -- the featured content areas are then just for static content? Or does this change when BP is installed?

Finally, I am also running a directory application on the same server, PhpMydirectory, and would like to display some of the listings from that on the home page and in the sidebars elsewhere. Being new to WP, what is the recommended way of doing that?

Thanks

Chris

• Tammie

@Cosmo_McMoon: Welcome to WPMU DEV really glad you're happy so far lets see what I can do about helping you. I'm going to try and cover each point just let me know if I miss any.

1. Way I usually do it is multisite enable then BuddyPress but personally I like to get the structure done before adding the furniture so to speak :slight_smile: I'd always say get everything in place before you activate any plugin and BuddyPress is a plugin when it comes down to it.

2. There are a lot of widget areas on the home page yes only footer but inside on other pages there is a sidebar and you get a variety for a range of pages. We don't think it's limiting considering the wide variety of theme options you have like a slideshow and content areas - have you explored those under theme options? Not sure what you mean by static content but we also include a child and parent theme so you can easily add a new widget area to any part or add your own customised code.

3. I am not experienced with PhpMyDirectory you may want to start a thread just about that as I'm a little theme focused and perhaps others know that. I don't want it to get lost in a theme related post.

Hope that helps and just let me know if you need any more information.

• Cosmo_McMoon

Thank you for your very speedy reply.

For example, no way to display tweets on the home page via widget other than at the bottom, unless I modify the template? I had hoped to not get into that on my first day with WP, but why not <g>. So editing the child theme, which I activated, is the safe approach, as I understand it?

By static I mean I can't display database-driven information in those six feature areas, I have to type in text, if I understand them correctly. No way to display things like recent posts in those spots?

Yes, I have looked through the theme options, thanks, there are some interesting options there.

>2. There are a lot of widget areas on the home page yes only footer but inside on other pages there is a sidebar and you get a variety for a range of pages. We don't think it's limiting considering the wide variety of theme options you have like a slideshow and content areas - have you explored those under theme options? Not sure what you mean by static content but we also include a child and parent theme so you can easily add a new widget area to any part or add your own customised code.

You are correct about my question regarding displaying content from my other app, it's not a theme-specific question, so I will post it elsewhere.

This is fun so far!

Chris