Time syncs 1 hour later to Google Calendar

Hi there,

When I make an appointment with Appointment+ at (for example) for april 22th 8AM, it syncs to Google Calendar as april 22th 9AM (1 hour later then it should). This messes up my clients scheduele. His timezone is GMT +1 (Amsterdam). The e-mail people receive from Appointment+ shows the correct time. It's just the syncing to Google Calendar that has a bug.

I've already checked this:
- Server time (I'm the webhost and I've checked the server myself) is set on GMT +1 and displays the correct time
-Google Calendar setting is set on GMT +1 and displays the correct time (see screenshot)
-Wordpress time setting is set on GMT +1 and displays the correct time

Please let me know what's wrong and how to fix it asap.

If you need it, I've granted Support Staff Access to the site with the setting in the WPMU DEV dashboard.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Steven

• wijngaardeWD

Hi Tyler,

Unfortunatly this doesn't work. I've experimented with it after your mail and these are the problems:

- I first changed the timezone to UTC+1 (Which is the equivalent of Amsterdam). Made a test appointment for 17PM. It get's schedueled correct in appointment+ but Google Calendar shows 18PM (still 1 hour in advance).

- Then I tried to set the timezone to UTC and to UTC +2. This effects Google Calendar but also the scheduele of appointment+. So for example with UTC, all excisting appointments in appointments+ suddenly got set 1 hour earlier. So it's just moving the problem from Google Calendar to the appointments+ plugin.

So could you please take a close look at this problem. I also saw on the forum that there were more complaints about this. Perhaps you could change this with a simple update that just subtracts 1 hour when syncing to Google Calendar. That would solve the problem.

Unless it has something to do with winter/ summer time and that the plugin doesn't take this into account (please keep in mind that summertime starts on sunday march 29th!). Also If you'd set the Wordpress settings to the UTC equivalent of Amsterdam, UTC setting doesn't take summer/ wintertime into account.

So please, please, please take a further look at this issue.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Steven

• wijngaardeWD

Hi @pxwm and @Tyler Postle,

The link provided doesn't work unfortunatly. I did find another related post with you in it, but I can't find suggestions in it. Could you clarify or check the link?

While digging into the forum I also found more related posts, some from more then 1 year ago. Like this one: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/gcal-appointments-1-hour-early-during-daylight-saving-time

The way I see it, it realy seems like a daylight savings issue. Gcal takes this into account and a+ doesn't.. But I realy need a solution for this.

In previous post I've seen the developer got flagged about this, but in none of the posts I see him comming up with a solution for this.

Please let's do it right this time, it's no issue when you're not affected by a daylight savings region, but when you do it matters a lot.. Besides this it makes not only look WPMU look bad, it makes us as an ambassador for WPMU look bad too.. To our clients.

Hope you get my point.

Kind regards,
    Steven

• pxwm

Hi @wijngaardeWD

I've just checked the link and it work fine for me, if you would like to try again.

I've included the link again in this post and tested: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/appointments-timeshift-with-daylight-savings#post-845798

However the post effectively says the same as the other post you have referred to.
    I've currently created some appointments on my development site for dates/times after Daylight Savings to see what happens on GCAL.

Regards
    SteveB
    However I've also checked the link you included in your post and I've

• wijngaardeWD

Hi @pxwm @Judah @Tyler Postle

So if I get it right, we'll wait for the 29th and we will test if it works well. If so, it was a daylight savings issue as expected.

If so, you guys will come with an update to prevent this becomming an issue again when winter time hits (November 2015)?

And if it isn't a daytime savings issue, we'll take it from there?

So we will talk some more in this post after the 29th?

Kind regards,
    Steven

• Judah

@wijngaardeWD,

So if I get it right, we'll wait for the 29th and we will test if it works well. If so, it was a daylight savings issue as expected.

Correct - we have to wait and see and will be able to confirm if its a DST issue.

If so, you guys will come with an update to prevent this becomming an issue again when winter time hits (November 2015)?

@pxwm and I don't work for WPMU DEV but we will try and work with them as to how this can be solved.

And if it isn't a daytime savings issue, we'll take it from there?

Correct!

So we will talk some more in this post after the 29th?

Absolutely!

Many users have been experiencing weird changes to their calendars (appts times moving) when DST comes around. It has been an ongoing issue for at least a year now and I am hoping this gets resolved ASAP.

Speak to you soon!
    Judah

• pxwm

@Judah, @wijngaardeWD @Tyler Postle + all interested members

As promised here are my results:-

To confirm:-
    1) I'm in the UK so time BEFORE BST/DST is GMT and AFTER 1 hour ahead
    2) All appointments were made in A+
    3) Google calendar was set up to sync both ways but was only used to read appointments on A+
    4) All appointments were made BEFORE BST (01:00 a.m. 29th Mar 2015)
    4) Service duration was set as 45mins

Appointments made and how they were recoded on the day the appointment was made therefore BEFORE BST/DST:-

Time                A+               GCAL
    2015-03-29	00:00 - 00:45	00:00 - 00:45 (correct as before BST)
    2015-03-29	00:45 - 01:30	00:45 - 02:30 (as 01:00 - 02:00 doesn't exist)
    2015-03-29	01:30 - 02:30	01:30 - 02:30 (correct as AFTER BST)
    2015-03-31	12:00 - 12:45	13:00 - 13:45 (GCAL is showing actual time AFTER BST)
    2015-03-31	15:00 - 15:45	16:00 - 16:45  (GCAL is showing actual time AFTER BST)
    2015-04-02	09:00 - 09:45	10:00 - 10:45 (GCAL is showing actual time AFTER BST)

How appointments displayed AFTER BST/DST:-
    Some interesting results

Time		A+		GCAL
    2015-03-29	00:00 - 00:45	00:00 - 00:45 (correct as before BST)
    2015-03-29	00:45 - 01:30	00:45 - 02:30 (as 01:00 - 02:00 doesn't exist)
    2015-03-29	01:30 - 02:30	01:30 - 02:30 (correct as AFTER BST)
    2015-03-31	13:00 - 13:45	13:00 - 13:45  (A+ now changed to GCAL time)
    2015-03-31	16:00 - 16:45	16:00 - 16:45  (A+ now changed to GCAL time)
    2015-04-02	10:00 - 10:45	10:00 - 10:45  (A+ now changed to GCAL time)

For the last three appointments that changed by an hour AFTER BST/DST - Not sure if this was due to A+ code or that A+ and GCAL are synch'd both ways and A+ identified that when the Wordpress timezone changed it synch'd to GCAL
    Whatever the reason I would suggest this has made the situation worse as now all appointments in A+ AFTER BST/DST have moved 1 hour and I can confirm that an email was NOT sent to the client/Service Provider/Admin.
    This issue needs further investigation because if it was due to A+/GCAL being synch'd both ways a way to resolve would be to change the setting so A+ ONLY synch's with GCAL.

I hope the result are useful in finding a way forward.
    If you require clarification please let me know.

Regards
    SteveB

• Tyler Postle

Hey @Judah @pxwm @wijngaardeWD,

Thanks for the additional info here :slight_smile: I've passed it onto the developer.

We will be fixing this in the Appointments+ rewrite. I know Steve and Judah already know that, but just wanted to mention it for @wijngaardeWD's sake.

If this didn't end up being your issue @wijngaardeWD just let us know and we can look into it again :slight_smile:

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey wijngaarde,

Hope you had a great holiday weekend wijngaarde.

Thanks for your reply. All I know right now is that it will be fixed in the upcoming re-write. We don't have an ETA. I know that isn't really helpful, but I don't want to just throw out a random ETA either - would likely lead to further disappointment.

We are of course wanting to get it fixed up before the time changes again :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.