Tips on replacing an old site with new one

I've been rebuilding a corporate site on a separate test server. The current site is just static HTML pages, while the new one is of course built on WordPress. I'm getting ready to launch the new site, and I wanna make sure the transition is as smooth as possible, and that I don't screw anything up in the process!

The current site is on a typical shared hosting plan with InMotion, and the new site needs to be on the same server. I'm going to be moving the new site to the current server using the migration tool within the BackupBuddy plugin. That's the easy part. I'm worried about where I move it to. Do I just replace the current site files with the new one? Or do I upload the new site as an addon domain first?

I'm pretty lost, so any advice would be great!

• aecnu

Greetings timstrifler,

Thank you for the great questions but these are relative to your host and are not WordPress related - transferring sites of course.

I do not think you will be able to make it an add on since the domain already exists on the server.

You will probably need to dump what is in the root folder and place your WordPress installation there.

Anything deeper will take an intimate knowledge of your hosting environment. I.E. if both are cPanel servers then using WHM to move the site form one server to the new server is the best practice.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.