Tips on Rolling Multiple Sites into Multi-Site Install?

Greetings,

I'm in the process of setting up a multi-site WordPress environment. I have a number of stand-alone sites that I'd like to roll into the new multisite as sub-domains. I'm fairly skilled with WordPress - can someone (at a high level) provide me with the steps to do this? For example:

Export WordPress (posts/db, etc) from stand-alone sites.
Import WordPress (posts/db) into multi-site.
Map the old domain to the sub-domain.

I think there's more than this but starting at this level would be great.

Many Thanks,

Daniel

• aecnu

Greetings Daniel,

Thank you for the great question and indeed you have it right:

Export WordPress (posts/db, etc) from stand-alone sites.
    Import WordPress (posts/db) into multi-site.
    Map the old domain to the sub-domain.

Except you are missing one thing, FTP'ing the theme to the MultiSite and activating the theme on the relative site.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT weekend!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Daniel,

Thank you for the additional question and indeed it is simple as using the export and then import functions of WordPress itself though you may need to move themes and plugins manually as mentioned above.

Certainly there are other ways using database manages, SQL imports etc. But when switching platforms like you are i.e. solo's to MultiSite To be successful we must pull the existing data into the new database structure for those sites.

Hopefully that offers some more insight for you as to why I did not recommend a more complex way of doing this though I admit I do not know everything :wink:

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.