Tons of issue with upfront builder

Hello
Today, I decided it is time to learn my way around upfront builder.
Well, so far it has not been fun!! I do apologize for the tenor of this ticket.
For the purpose of this submission, let's just say I woke up clueless.
I installed and activated upfront then clicked to start a child theme, named it and all. I activated it. Then I proceed to edit the info. I thought it would be the right thing to do since every theme needs this.
Problem 1 - When I click edit, page freezes. I cannot edit and insert the correct info here. I tried it in three different computer, two different browsers with the same result. There seems to be some script bug that causes this. Then I said unusual but let's get back to this later.
Problem 2 - I thought let's lay out some ground rules by getting individual global setting out of the way such as fonts, icons.
Fonts were easy; Icon was confusing. Does upfront comes with some starter icons, or do I have to upload them? Say I want font awesome. Am I to download from their site and upload it here?? I have a plugin that provides me with animated Icons, how do I manage to get upfront recognize them??

Problem 3 - Normally when you create a child theme, it inherits certain things from Parent, in this case from upfront among which are the header, footer, content region - I should hope.
How do I set up menu, logo, search icon sections??
How do I create templates to start with for the ease of use??
How do I get header and footer out of the way since most likely they are the same for everything??
I was hoping I can add it myself, but see no option that I can add a region. I hope you understand my frustration. I don't have the region, cannot find the option to add it and here I am sitting scratching my head and wondering ...

Once I encountered Problem 3, I stopped and came here to get some assistance to point me in the right direction.

Even for plug and play, you do need a canvas where you can plug and play. As blank as we might like it for fun, some things simply have to be there like header? And if they are not, then we need the means to create it or am I wrong??

I read you can create a region, add elements and then assign them globally. I cannot find the option where I can do this.

Perhaps I am in another dimension on this and need to learn a new concept, but I appreciate if someone can explain what that concept is.

Again, I apologize if my frustration is somewhat coloring the content of this ticket and I tried to rewrite few times ...

Please, point me in the right direction. There has to be some systematic instruction for those who do not want to start with starter themes and aim to create their own.
Regards
Sophie

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Sophie,

Sorry to hear Upfront is giving you troubles, let's try clearing this everything up :slight_smile:

Problem 1 - When I click edit, page freezes. I cannot edit and insert the correct info here. I tried it in three different computer, two different browsers with the same result. There seems to be some script bug that causes this. Then I said unusual but let's get back to this later.

I was unable to replicate this first issue on my installation so it would be helpful if you could grant us support access to check it out on your end.
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Problem 2 - I thought let's lay out some ground rules by getting individual global setting out of the way such as fonts, icons.
    Fonts were easy; Icon was confusing. Does upfront comes with some starter icons, or do I have to upload them? Say I want font awesome. Am I to download from their site and upload it here?? I have a plugin that provides me with animated Icons, how do I manage to get upfront recognize them??

You should be able to see default Icon font that comes with UF as soon as you create your theme and go to icon font settings.
    Upfront currently supports fonts that map icons to physical keystroke characters, so unfortunately font awesome wont work atm but it's something we're looking for changing in future.
    For now you could import fonts that are created with https://icomoon.io/ for example.

Problem 3 - Normally when you create a child theme, it inherits certain things from Parent, in this case from upfront among which are the header, footer, content region - I should hope.

Upfront themes are quite different from standard WP themes so child themes work differently as well.
    When using Upfront builder you will create theme from scratch, there will not be some pre-created parts added.

If you wish to have some starting elements you can edit one of the existing Upfront child themes:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/themes/

How do I set up menu, logo, search icon sections??

You can add new global region for your header and in there add logo as image element, menu element and search widget.

How do I create templates to start with for the ease of use??

In Upfront Builder you can edit layouts when you click on Layouts button in sidebar:

How do I get header and footer out of the way since most likely they are the same for everything??

I'm not sure what do you mean by "get out of the way" could you elaborate this part a bit more please? :slight_smile:

I was hoping I can add it myself, but see no option that I can add a region. I hope you understand my frustration. I don't have the region, cannot find the option to add it and here I am sitting scratching my head and wondering ...

You can click on top right corner of the page, or right click and edit background to open additional options where you can add new region.

After that click on add region icon and add your desired region, for header, footer etc. you would want to enable global region.

Even for plug and play, you do need a canvas where you can plug and play. As blank as we might like it for fun, some things simply have to be there like header? And if they are not, then we need the means to create it or am I wrong??

Upfront Builder that allows starting new theme from blank template was highly requested and it does just that, it starts from basically nothing, allowing users to create whatever they want.
    As mentioned above, you can edit one of existing child themes and remove all the parts except for header and footer if that's what you want to start from.

Please, point me in the right direction. There has to be some systematic instruction for those who do not want to start with starter themes and aim to

You can find more info about Upfront themes and Builder here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/upfront-structure/

Hope this helps and clears things up a bit :slight_smile:

If you have any additional questions it would be best keeping them in separate threads if they are not closely related, it will make it easier to follow up with everything and provide you with better answers.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• sophie

Hello

Not a single thing on the above images show up when I go on the front page and click the builder.
    On the left-hand side, there is a side panel that opens up. But it doesn't have a button called Layout
    it has my name, avatar, plus add a post and add page button.

Believe it or not, I did spend the time to read what I could find before starting.

All right, I am going to leave upfront builder alone for awhile. It has never taken me over three hours with absolutely zero productivity on something. I need to step away from it for a bit. I probably could have set up a basic theme in less time than that without it.
    Thank you.
    Please, just close this ticket. I have other means of speeding up theme design.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Sophie,

Sorry to hear it's still giving you troubles and that you've decided to skip it but I believe I understand where's the confusion now so let me try clearing that up.

You mentioned that you started Upfront Editor from home page and that you don't see the same things as explained in my screenshots, this is because my screenshots are from Upfront Builder so let me explain difference between the two.

Upfront Builder is used to create new themes from scratch and then you can save those themes and used them as starter themes, like our starter themes available here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/themes/#uf-themes

Those themes have their own look and content once installed.

And then there's Upfront Editor, this is what you start from your home page (or any other page), this is used to edit those starter themes and make desired changes for that specific site.

For example, you can use Upfront Builder to build your starter theme with specific header, footer, menu, page and post layout etc. and then install those themes on different sites where you can then have similar look but different content.

Hope this explains it a bit more and if you have any followup questions please let us know. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Dimitris

Hey there sophie,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in!

I can understand the frustration that comes when you realise that something's wrong going on and end-up giving time for nothing.
    We are already re-considering the UX/UI between the Editor and the Builder and hopefully soon enough this will be more clear to all end users.

Feel free to post back here if more assistance is required when you get back to this. :slight_smile:

Take care,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.