Too many events to fit on one Events + calendar

Hello,

I am working on a website for a very active church - many has several events and activities each day.

Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this?

Should we have multiple event calendars? Is that even possible?

Can we have event calendars by category?

Is there some way to have one main calendar - with links to sub-calendars by category?

I do not even know what is possible. I am just searching for some workable solutions to try and resolve.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

Sincerely,

William

• aecnu

Greetings William,

Thank you for your great questions and ideas, they are indeed greatly appreciated.

Though I am not certain of the exact nature of the events, I would think that your needs would be best met with a MultiSite installation with sub sites devoted to specific events and a calendar within that sub site specific for the event.

It is further my opinion that this would promote easier management of events due to the fact that management of specific events could be handled by users that are delegated access to just one specific event sub site.

A list of the event categories could be placed in a widget on the sidebar on the front page using the links widget ot even the text widget if formatted in html.

When they click on an event category they are interested in, it takes them to the specialized sub site for that event complete with calendar and other event related information.

Please advise of what you think of this possible structure and vision that I can foresee as being easily managed yet targeted to certain events.

Cheers, Joe

• wcolvard

Hi Joe,

This solution sounds very interesting. Is it very complicated?

I've never done a multi-site installation before. So you are saying that I would have multiple versions of the main site - and the only difference between them would be that they would have different event calendars?

Or would there be several sub sites whose only content is the Event calender functionality?

In this particular case, this is for a church - so there are events for Adults, Singles, Married Couples, Youth, Men, Women, General Church events, etc.

Please advise.

Thanks,

William

• aecnu

Greetings William,

Thank you for your additional input and questions, they are greatly appreciated.

This solution sounds very interesting. Is it very complicated?

MultiSite is a little complicated to get setup, but easy to run afterward and if you have a WordPress friendly host they will be more then likely happy to setup the MultiSite for you.

I've never done a multi-site installation before. So you are saying that I would have multiple versions of the main site - and the only difference between them would be that they would have different event calendars?

Not exactly but could be. MultiSite allows you to share one installation across many sites, one set of plugins, one theme and/or more themes if you choose.

You could have a different theme for each sub site and any of the sites can have the same plugins etc. all drawing off the same files.

For example, say that your church runs a daycare center, you could have the same theme but a different header for it and the day care events right on the main page or items related directly to the day care center or it could match the main site to the letter except the events etc.

MultiSite is best described as allowing us to create multiple sub sites with a single installation of WordPress, Plugins, and Theme(s)

Or would there be several sub sites whose only content is the Event calender functionality?

Absolutely. and they would have the matching theme as well and one would not really know you went to a different site at all.

In this particular case, this is for a church - so there are events for Adults, Singles, Married Couples, Youth, Men, Women, General Church events, etc.

Yes you can make each subsite with its own events calender with domains like adultevents.yourchurch.com (sub domain MultiSite) ~or~ yourchurch.com/adults (sub directory MultiSite) etc. while the main site would remain yourchurch.com, and another singles.yourchurch.com ~or~ yourchurch.com/singles - sub domain MultiSite install and then sub directory MultiSite install respectively --> all running from a single WordPress installation and domain name :slight_smile:

Your thoughts?

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.