Too Many Updating Worries

Hi there, after leaving my 2 WPMUDEV sites unattendend for the past 5 months, I would now like to continue working on them but before I do this I would first like to have them up to date.

I am super unsure what needs to be done to update the wordpress install, wpmudev plugins and non wpmudev plugins and wpmudev themes correctly.

I messed up once already by automatically upgrading my WP install last year, I got lucky that my host had a backup.

Is there a step by step guide on how to do this right? And how to properly do backups?

Worried :slight_frown:

Toni

• Philip John

Hiya Toni,

I understand - I feel the same way sometimes :slight_smile: Of course, it's best to not let it get to that point but that's not always feasible!

So, here's what you should do;
    1. Backup your database
    2. Backup posts, pages etc using Tools > Export (make sure this completes properly)
    3. Disable all plugins, activate the default theme
    4. Run the WordPress automatic update
    5. If that goes well (or seems to) do a quick check to make sure posts/pages etc are working
    6. One-by-one, re-activate plugins that *don't* need updating then check the site is working okay
    7. One-by-one, upgrade and re-active the other plugins then check the site is working okay
    8. Re-activate your preferred theme and then check the site is working okay

If at any point you run into trouble, just pop back here and start a new thread with the issue you have and we'll help you through it :slight_smile:

Phil

• Toni

thanks so much Phil :slight_smile:

regarding step 7 and 8 just making sure - I assume I need to completely replace the old files with the new folders using my ftp client of choice - all my existing data will be saved in the database? Sorry for being such a noob!!

I'll say what everyone else is thinking: "Major pain in the ass" LOL

I am big fan of pressing 1 button and everything is done.. (sounds like this belongs in the suggestion board :wink: )

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.