too slow website theme using boombox

hello there

i am using boombox theme this now i have a gif based site where most of the things here are gif so when i download gif from any website it download in a video file and when i convert them in a gif through online gif service it convert it to gif but the size of a 900kb video file becomes a 7 mb gif file too large

now when i upload this gif and optimize it with wpsmush pro it just reduce 30kb from that and from gif 15mb it reduce only 80kb and so on why it is reducing so low amount

regards

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello anil,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I do not have access to the premium theme that you are using, unfortunately but I also admin I'm not quite sure about the issue. I would like to try to replicate it in order to check it so could you please give me a "step by step" instruction (including example URL to downloads) of what I should exactly do to replicate that?

It would help me much to test and diagnose the issue.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello anil!

I admit I was hoping to be able to test that on my end with some of the gifs that you are using, that's why I asked for links to example gifs.

However, the way WP Smush Pro works depends on an image itself. In case of animated gifs there may simply be no room to do much compression. I have asked the WP Smush Pro developer for an advice on this so please keep an eye on this thread and I"ll update it as soon as I get a replay.

Best regards,
    Adam

• anil

what i do is i first download a video from internet and then create a gif using giphy and download it in my computer now that gif become 10 or 15mb file now i think that wpsmush pro will help me to reduce that gif to even half but it reduce from it just few kb you can test any high mb gif from your side and try to smush it it will only reduce few kb

you can download any gif from 9gag it will download in video format in 1 or 2 mb and then go to https://convertio.co and covert that video to a gif and download it will convert in a mb file then smush it with wpsumushpro you will see the difference you can test it with any gif file

thank you

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello anil!

Thank you for your replay. I just checked it but I'm not sure if "any gif" will work that way. Here's what I did:

- I visited the 9gag site and clicked on "GIF" in menu
    - I downloaded the first gif that it showed to me as a mp4 video; it was a little over 64k in size
    - I then converted it using convertio.co from mp4 to giv and resulting gif was around 274k in size
    - then I uploaded it to the site and smushed, getting around 4.8% of savings on a full image and 3.8 on average.

Taking into account that the initial file wasn't that big, it's a good saving because the animated GIF most likely cannot be optimized as efficiently as any static image. Let's however wait for the developer's opinion on this as I already asked him for advice. I will let you know as soon as he responds to me.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• anil

hello Adam Czajczyk

now lets try this please download this gif in video format will download in around 2mb file http://www.vayagif.com/371087/tutorial-de-como-hacer-feliz-a-un-donut

now when you upload this file in http://convertio.co/ and conveert to gif it will become a 9mb gif then download it and smush it will only reduce some kb only from this 9mb file

now i look at internet that how these website host large gif file if i get it in huge mb for just few seconds file now when i fetch the video direct from the url of above same gif and convert it in convertio it become 433kb file yes

and dowload the same gif in video format ffor 2mb and convert in same convertio give 9mb file can you tell me why this happen direct url fetch and download so much different

check this link http://prnt.sc/drp3dw

but the problem is why it reduce only few kb of that 9mb file by 1st method please try it with step i explained above

regards

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello anil!

I checked that and I can confirm that there's the difference. There is however a "catch" in that. The "gif" that you linked to here is not actually hosted as a gif at all. There's a thumbnail image that is a simple "jpeg" and there's a... video.

It's not that you "just download" it as a video. It has either been created as a video or has been created from gif to video and then embedded to the page that way. I suppose that partially answers your concern about how these sites host those "big gifs": they convert them to a "savvy" video formats. In this case that "image" is embedded as an "mp4" and "webm" video - you can confirm that by looking into page source. There's no real .gif at all.

When you download it with the browser it gives you a "primary" video which in this case is ".webm" (in case of an image that I tested initially it was an ".mp4" format only). An animated GIF created from a video will always be much bigger in terms of file size. This is because of the specifics of a format - compression, structure etc.

That being said, I'm not sure if you actually tried to saved that "gif" converted directly from an URL because it's not the content that you are trying to fetch. The resulting image is.... an image of the website (kind of a site thumbnail).

The bottom line is: if you wish to host "animated gifs" you may do it in two ways.

You may either host real gifs but some of them may indeed be quite huge, especially those converted from downloaded videos. The WP Smush Pro will make some savings but those will differ depending on a particular GIF. The more "uniform/homogeneous" the GIF is, the better are the savings. If there are for example two animated Gif images, both 3 seconds long, and the first one is just a black background with a white dot bouncing around while the second one is a set of 10 different photos frames - the first one would be nicely compressed while the second one will only get a few kb's saved if any. This is caused by how the GIF format works.

An alternate route then would be to just download these videos and host/embed them to the site as videos. While these will not be optimized by WP Smush Pro, the original file size should be smaller than a GIF created by converting video format to gif format.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Umesh Kumar

anil, To add to what Adam Czajczyk said in above reply. Animated GIFs hardly get any compression. Moreover, converting a video to gif is definitely gonna increase the image size, as a Video contains a lot more number of frames than a regular GIF.

So when you convert a video to GIF, all those frames has to be in there. For the given video example the gif has 68 frames and hence the image size is too big.

Cheers, Umesh

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.