top region does not appear in public page view in Safari private browsing window

Hello,
Starting a new site on a fresh VVV install of Wordpress with buddypress. I've created a fullscreen region for the home page with top and bottom subregions. The top region has two nav elements. They look fine in the Upfront editor. They are not in the public page.

How it looks in the editor.

Not in the public view

There's around 5 padding on each side of each nav element, but removing it didn't make a difference. Adjusting justification didn't change anything. Reapplying the style didn't make a difference (indeed, the correct style appears to be in the inspector but not showing on the page. It happens in both Chrome and Safari (Sierra).

At first I thought it was pervasive, but it now appears to be working in the regular window but not visible in the private window, even though the rest of the page is whether logged in or not.

Inspector shows content/style are there.

In the bottom region, it appears but the scrolldown message flickers strangely when I hover over it to click. It's an anchor and I think the hover style is larger than the normal. Although I've changed the anchor style for the element, it doesn't appear when I select the text, so I'm not sure if it's applied. The only options are paragraph, H's and a couple others.

Also, I'm not using the builder. Not sure if I can use it later on the same style.

Unfortunately, as I'm just starting out, the site is on my laptop with no plan in the near future to transfer it to a host.

Hoping you've seen this before and can offer some suggestions.
Thanks,
Morgan

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Morgan,

I'm afraid I would need to see the site to inspect the code there. It can be a issue with CSS - like problem with z-index, problem with height 0; problem with another element covering those links, it can be opacity inherited incorrectly... But without seeing actual code I can't tell what exactly happen there.
    On your screenshot of element it looks that elements there, HTML code is there - so you would need to check there not exact links but their wrapper. So inspect elements around those links and check the styles for anything that could hide that element.

In the bottom region, it appears but the scrolldown message flickers strangely when I hover over it to click. It's an anchor and I think the hover style is larger than the normal.

If you suspect that element - remove it and see if that will change anything.

Starting a new site on a fresh VVV install of Wordpress with buddypress.

I do have to mention here that Upfront is not yet compatible with BuddyPress. Some of the BuddyPress pages will not work when using Upfront themes, so if this is project that requires BuddyPress all features then you might need consider different theme.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Morgan

Hello,
    Thanks for the quick reply. It may be a few weeks before I'm in a position to put the site on hosting. I'll message you if it's still a problem then.

About BuddyPress, I was working from this discussion, which sounded encouraging:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/do-upfront-themes-work-with-buddypress

It sounded as though it hadn't been cleared for use, but lots of people were using it successfully. Given its age, I thought things would have progressed. Unfortunately, it seems that every time I attempt to incorporate Upfront into a project I'm told it won't work with this or that. I mention it only because it seems to happen a lot. Documenting its limitations would save time and help people make better decisions.

Maybe I don't need Buddypress? Can you advise?

I'm working on a site where each member is part of at least one private/hidden group. A member may join other private groups. Groups should have a dashboard summarising various things, an activity stream may be part of this. I need an area where they can exchange messages without necessarily revealing their contact information. They'll have a profile where they can optionally display contact information. There will be a private area for group files.

They will be able to buy things only available to registered site users. I haven't decided yet if this "buying things" will be done as a paid membership upgrade or product through a shopping cart. Payments will be recurring subscriptions, and I'd like to use GoCardless for that. I don't think there's support built in and I haven't checked yet whether Stripe does everything I need.

There will be a voting system for members of a group to vote on proposals.

Early stage, but it looks like I may have to write something custom for Buddypress to automatically create a group for a new user if their group doesn't already exist. And some logic to add a new user to an existing group.

I've had a look at Gravity Forms with Gravity Flow and Gravity View and they are promising so far at least to build a simple proof-of-concept that I can test out. Gravity Flow may support voting but require some customisation.

The Buddypress alternatives I've looked at so far focus on protected content or don't have a groups feature or cost more for features that are free in Buddypress. I haven't done an extensive search, though.

Anyway, any suggestions would be welcome.
    Thanks,
    Morgan

Nithin

Hi Morgan,

Hope you are doing good today.

From reading your projects requirements, it seems like BuddyPress would be more apt, when compared to other plugins to achieve all the mentioned needs. Also when compared to documentation, BuddyPress would be ideal when it comes to customizing it.

However, if you are looking to run BuddyPress in Upfront then I'm afraid, it isn't fully compatible at the moment, you may notice anomalies if you are trying to make it work.

Developers are aware of this, and it's something that's down the Upfronts development roadmap for future release, but at the moment, I don't have an exact ETA regarding when.

Are you looking for BuddyPress alternatives because of Upfront? If yes, alternative plugins too needs to be tested extensively to check whether they are compatible with Upfront. You might find anomalies with plugins which uses virtual pages.

They will be able to buy things only available to registered site users. I haven't decided yet if this "buying things" will be done as a paid membership upgrade or product through a shopping cart. Payments will be recurring subscriptions, and I'd like to use GoCardless for that. I don't think there's support built in and I haven't checked yet whether Stripe does everything I need.

You can check Membership 2 Pro for memberships, or MarketPress plugin for products. However, there isn't any integration with GoCardless, it'll require custom coding to achieve this.

WooCommerce does seem to have a premium add-on which seems to do the job:
    https://woocommerce.com/products/gocardless/

You might find the following plugin helpful for voting:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/voter-plugin/

If you are still looking for other BuddyPress alternatives, maybe you might find the following plugin useful. However, it hasn't been extensively tested in Upfront, so I'm not sure sure whether it's compatible, or not.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/peepso-core/

I hope this helps. Please let us know if still need any further assistance. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Morgan

Hello!
    Thanks very much for your reply.

My first goal is to have a simple working proof of concept that will help me gauge market interest. Using Upfront on the frontend should save me time and help speed up iterations. Being told Upfront is not compatible with Buddypress is disappointing. This happens too much. Can you be more specific what things don't work? Maybe I don't need them.

In general, it would be really helpful to have a list of what works and what doesn't, especially for your own plugins. Adding the Upfront icon to plugin listings is a good idea. However, I think the expectation is that a company will produce products that work together and the examples that don't are in the minority. It seems like each time I try to use a WPMU plugin I'm told of some incompatibility with Upfront. Am I going to be disappointed when I try out your helpdesk ticketing plugin in a little while?

For payments, Stripe is acceptable in the short term. GoCardless may be better accepted in the UK (and fees are slightly lower) but Stripe has more premade integrations. In any case, I'd chosen Upfront with the expectation that I'd have to do some coding and having it for front end design would save me a little. The GoCardless integration doesn't look too bad.

Peepso looks quite slick -- thanks for mentioning it -- but on first impression it appears to follow the woocommerce paid addon model. Some core features in Buddypress are paid plugins in Peepso. I'm not sure if it's got enough core features to consider. I've also found Ultimate Members and a few others. They usually are not as feature rich or have the integrations available for BuddyPress combined with Memberships. Or they cost more.

I think I'm going to use the payment process as the basis for the voting system. Ultimately, the vote is always for paying/buying something, so I'll count the number of purchases. I don't expect an off-the-shelf solution for that.

I guess the main point is 'to what extent should I find an alternative for Upfront'? I'd really prefer to avoid Visual Composer after using it a lot. Also, if I can't use Upfront and if plugins don't seem to work together, it removes a lot of my justification for WPMU.

Many thanks,
    Morgan

Nithin

Hi Morgan,

Hope you are doing good today.

Being told Upfront is not compatible with Buddypress is disappointing. This happens too much. Can you be more specific what things don't work? Maybe I don't need them.

At the moment, I haven't extensively tested Upfront in BuddyPress, so I'm not sure about all the exact instances where it doesn't work. Giving a quick run, in general, Upfront won't work well with BuddyPress virtual pages, or auto generated pages, you'll notice some anomalies, and it can differ from one system to another. I do understand that incompatibility is causing an issue with making your project work, but it's something that the developers are working on to make users experience more pleasant when trying to make such plugins run in Upfront.

They usually are not as feature rich or have the integrations available for BuddyPress combined with Memberships. Or they cost more.

As mentioned in my previous reply, reading your requirements it seems like BuddyPress is more suitable to your needs. At the moment, I'm afraid we don't have any such compatibility plugins list for you to check, but for our plugins, you can find Upfront icon listed in the compatibility section of the plugin homepage.

The above screenshot is from the CoursePress Pro plugin homepage:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/coursepress-pro/

The plugin Support System will work, but the plugin uses virtual pages, and unfortunately Upfront doesn't support virtual pages. You'll find anomalies with sections where the virtual pages comes into play. It might require custom CSS, to make it work accordingly, would recommend you to test, and see whether it covers your needs.

I do understand you want to utilize Upfront to it's fullest, I'm just making sure that you are aware about the incompatibilities, so that you don't encounter such issues halfway down while developing your project. At the moment, I don't have an exact ETA on when we'll have all the plugins compatible with Upfront, developers are aware of this and are working on eliminating compatibility issues down the the development roadmap of Upfront.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin