Transfer Custom Sidebars from one WP site to another and have them Applied to same pages

Hi!

We have about 50 custom sidebars on our current website applied to some of our 800 WP pages when we moved our WP content to our new development site, the custom sidebars did not move over. We purchased the Custom Sidebars Pro plugin for its export features but wondering how to transfer custom sidebars from one WP site to another AND have them already applied to the same pages they are currently applied to. Can you please advise on the best way to accomplish this transfer?

Thank you!

• andisites

Hi James,

Thank you so much! We've already built and applied the theme and have made content changes to the dev site, so cloning the site at this point would not be the best way to go.

Can you please explain how the export functionality works and can it be used to export the widgets from the old site to the new site with the custom sidebars set on all pages as they are now? If so, would we need to install the Pro version to both the current site and the new dev site to pull off? Thank you for the Clone tool advice and we'll certainly store for future use. Any way to get the sidebars in and assigned to our new site pages otherwise?

Thanks, again :slight_smile:

• James Morris

Hello andisites,

Yes, you will need to have Custom Sidebars Pro in order to export/import your sidebars to another site. You can read more about this process in the following blog post.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/free-custom-sidebars-plugin/

Here is the basic process you'll need to follow once you upgrade to Pro:

On your dev site, click the export link under Admin -> Appearance -> Widgets

Upgrade your target site with Custom Sidebars Pro and go to Admin -> Appearance -> Widgets. Click the import link and select the export file you created earlier.

Click the "Preview Import" button and select which sidebar you want to import as well as if you want to overwrite any existing sidebars. Then click "Import Selected Items."

Review your newly imported sidebars. That's it! :slight_smile:

I hope this clarifies things a bit. Let me know if you have any further questions. I'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello andisites,

I just tested the import/export on a multisite install of mine and the page associations did not carry over. Only the sidebars and widgets.

Most cloning plugins I'm aware of clone the entire site. If you were running a multisite install and using our Cloner plugin, you could select what you wanted cloned, to some degree, but even then you wouldn't be able to exclude the theme without excluding the sidebars.

If the content is the same from one site to the next, you could always clone it and then just activate the new theme after cloning though.

I hope that clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.