Transfer Wordpress instance in a multisite environment

Hi,

I need help with transferring a multisite instance from a competitor over to my server as an independent instance. I have created the database, imported the data in, but since the site relates to URL pointing to competitor multisite hosting, I can't certify if the website will work after turning over the DNS to my hosting server. Homepage displays most of the info right, but I get a 404 on the main image. I don't know if I have done all the necessary steps to modify the config files with the new links from my server.

• splaquet
    • The Incredible Code Injector

You can try updating your local /hosts file to point to your new IP. You might still have a few oddities, but it's a much better technique than using the 'ol "pull and prey" technique.

I'll often use this method and have had great results.

• viobru
    • Support

Hi, Dany!

Hope you’re doing great :slight_smile:

I would suggest that you try using the Better Search Replace plugin to check if there are URLs on the database that need to be updated. Before running it, please make sure to have a complete and updated backup of the site.

You can also try regenerating the permalinks, just in case. To restore permalinks, you'll have to go to Settings > Permalinks. If, for instance, your default permalink is Post Name, you'll have to select another option, like Numeric permalink, and click the Save Changes button. Once done, you'll have to select your default permalink setting back, and Save it again.

Just in case that you want to re-check all the steps to follow to migrate a site, here’s an article about Migrating WordPress (and Multisite!) to a New Server. And here’s the codex reference about Moving WordPress.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
    Violeta

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.