Transferring a theme to BuddyPress friendly

A while back, I saw a plugin somewhere that would make automatic changes to a theme to allow it to work properly with BuddyPress, but I can't seem to find it now.

Does anybody know what it is called?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@Glastonbury: It's the following plugin but I give you a personal warning on it. I would suggest whenever you have a BuddyPress site you would be far better off using a BuddyPress designed theme. We have for instance a lot of BuddyPress themes on this site you may want to take a look at. That plugin is in my opinion not a perfect solution and when you are a member with access to themes like this: https://premium.wpmudev.org/buddypress-themes/ I'd always say go with one suited to BuddyPress.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-template-pack/

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

I know what you mean, but I spent ages designing a unique looking theme for the Glastonbury site with random backgrounds and other things, and it would be a shame to waste all that time.

Having said that, I may end up having to use one of the BuddyPress themes as there is a lot of editing needed to make it work with that one.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@Glastonbury: One big misconception is that the template pack does it all for you as you probably are discovering this isn't the case. A non BuddyPress theme simply won't optimise those parts and may even cause conflicts in styling where you've already used a name for something or applied a style that just doesn't work for BuddyPress. It works if you 'need to have it now' and are going to work on one later but I'd never advise it as a permanent solution.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I would think it would create even more function loads over what a normal bp setup uses. And we all know how much I hate additional, unneeded function calls. :slight_smile:

edit to explain: More function calls = More load for the server. Granted a single function call itself isn;t much but when you have 5 million page loads in a month, that's 5 million additional processor requests. Add to that a single call to the db and you double that number.

• Moonworks
    • Code Wrangler

I agree, I've decided to use the Social theme and try to add random backgrounds to it - which leads me to my next question :slight_smile:

I have this line of code in my current theme, which you can see here on the test site.

I would like to include this somehow in the Social theme.

The code I used before was:

background: url(images/bg/rotate.php) no-repeat;

I have tried to add the following to child-style.css:

.FB_ElementReady {background: url(images/bg/rotate.php) no-repeat;}

That doesn't do the job though. How would I add this to the css?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.