Translate plugin

Hi, how can I change the language of a plugin?

I already installed the language pack, but no change.

thank you

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi viamarket,

The Language pack just provides translations of the strings in WordPress, not in any plugins you might use in your site.

Each plugin must provide its own translation of the strings that it brings to the site.

If a plugin does not come with a translation into your language, then you can fairly easily make one yourself as follows.

First the general answer, here

http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress

Here’s what I do when translating a plugin called myplugin:

I use PoEdit. Make sure to go into File->Settings->Edit and check “Generate .mo file on save“.

In the myplugin folder there’s a mypluginlanguages subfolder. There you’ll find the myplugin.po file.

In PoEdit load the .po file.

Save with the proper name for the language you need. You can find the naming conventions at http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_in_Your_Language

For Spanish it would be myplugin-es_ES.po

Now translate each string in the catalogue.

Save.

You will now have the two files myplugin-es_ES.po and myplugin-es_ES.mo.

FTP the files into the subfolder mypluginlanguages on the server.

Assuming your site language is set to Spanish the plugin strings should now appear in Spanish.

Cheers

Mort3n.

PS. In most plugins the file to load initially is a .POT file. In that case you choose Create catalogue from .POT file in PoEdit and proceed as above.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Hiya, just going through some of the older threads here.

As it’s been a little while since we last heard from you I thought I’d check in to see how you’re going?

If you’re still looking for some further assistance with this thread then please feel free to reopen the thread or of course for any new and related issues you are most welcome to open a new thread.

Cheers!

Tom

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.