translation

hello, I want to translate the pluginns into different languages, however most of the pluginns have their own language directory and so it seems they dont use the wordpress language directory, so if I create the po and mo files, where should I put these? I presume it would be the same issue with the themes
Thanks
Frenk!

• Mustafa
    • Syntax Hero

Hi Frenk,

Yes, almost all WPMU DEV plugin support localization.

Follow these steps for translation language pack.
    1) Open default .po file (you can use poedit for this)
    2) Translate strings
    3) Save your language pack named as text-domain value and language code (for example: marketpress -> mp-en_EN.po)
    4) When you save .po file, .mo file will generating automatically.
    5) Upload .mo file under the plugin's language directory.

Also you can read this topic for more detail - https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/localizationwhatever-you-want

I hope this helps.

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hello @frenk

Just checking in to see if the advice from Mustafa worked out.

Note that since we haven't heard back from you, I will go ahead and resolve this topic, but please don't hesitate to reopen it if you still require additional feedback or support from our Support Team.

Just select the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (otherwise we might miss your new post).

Have a great day and all the best with your project!

Gina

• sciamannikoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I'd like to add one small comment to Mustafa's post:

...however most of the pluginns have their own language directory and so it seems they dont use the wordpress language directory, so if I create the po and mo files, where should I put these? I presume it would be the same issue with the themes...

WordPress language directory should be used only for core WordPress string translations.
    Each theme/plugin localization file is supposed to be on its own "language" directory: that's the right way to create translations.

Mustafa, if you're not already aware of it, you may want to try this plugin, that takes care of most of the translation job (poEdit is good, but not really user-friendly :slight_smile: ).

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Thank you @sciamannikoo for the input. Very nice plugin - appreciate you sharing it here with us.

@frenk

Have a look at the Codestyling Localization plugin that @sciamannikoo referred to. This is an excellent tool that makes translating plugin files much easier. Hope you get this sorted.

Have a great day!

Gina

• frenk

Hello, I was aware of that plugin, codestyling localization. But the next problem occurs.
    I translated and created the po files. When i enter the dashboard-->plugins and then activate the plugin, it changes to the language as translated in the .po file. by deactivating the pluginn it turns back to the oriinal language, which is english us.
    I looked into the language directory, and there is the .pot file which contains the english translation. Could I just translate the sentences and use it as the default language of that pluginn?

Thanks
    Frenk!

• sciamannikoo

Frenk, I'm not sure what do you mean.

Codestyling Localization doesn't change the current language: it only helps you translating po files.
    You should also build or rebuild the mo file when you make changes, as these are the actual files used (a sort of compiled version of the po file): Codestyling Localization does that as well.

I take for granted that you know you should change the site language in the wp-config.php file.
    Perhaps I've misunderstood your issue. In this case could you please rephrase your last comment?

• frenk

hello, thanks for responding, I forgot to tell that where the plugins are activated/deactivated, dashboard==>plugins, the description turns to dutch in this case and when I deactivate the description turns back to english. So how should I make sure, if a blog/subdomain has another default language, the description also appears in the default language for that blog...activated or not activated!
    There will be several blogs in several languages installed in the future.... I would like them being available in several languages on the frontpage (for visitors/strangers) as well...

Thanks

Frenk!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.